Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Rack for Compact Frame Road Bike

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-08, 11:36 AM
newsace
Wannabe commuter & tourer

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm commuting on a 2003 Specialized Allez Sport (or whatever they called the very base model that year) and looking to see if it can easily be made more commute-friendly. I have a basic Trek rear rack on it, which has been fine for these five years for strapping on small items or using a rack trunk. Currently I have a handlebar bag zip-tied to it as a sort of ultra-mini pannier. But even with just that little bag, I have occasional heel-strike issues, and now I'd like to get a bigger bag to use for carrying a laptop computer.

I know I can jury rig some extenders to move this rack back a bit, but does anyone have a recommendation for a relatively inexpensive rack that might work better with a compact frame like this?
Old 06-06-08, 12:07 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
There are racks like this one:
https://www.axiomgear.com/product/rac...uct.php?id=142

They sit back further to compensate for short chainstays.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 06-06-08, 12:11 PM
Pinyon

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an Allez Elite with a removeable seat rack. First, I replaced the carbon seat post with a decent aluminum one. The stock carbon seat posts won't handle a beam rack. I bought a Topeak QR Beam Rack MTX, that has a quick-release mechanism to take it off of the bike. Below is a picture of how I commute extra miles before work using it.

This was taken this morning during my training commute/ride.

At first I was worried about the rack rubbing my legs, but it is no big deal at all. I've taken it out on a few 50+ mile jaunts with the rack with no discomfort at all.

You just remove the rack from the bike using the quick-release, and you are back to riding a much leaner road bike. Hope this helps!
Old 06-06-08, 12:12 PM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
You can get bags that are profiled to avoid heel strike. Some rectangular laptop bags (eg carradice) are mounted at an angle.
You can even buy the mounting system (rixen & Kaul or arkel) to mount to your own bag. This gives you the option of mounting higher to avoid heel strike.
Old 06-06-08, 12:16 PM
Pinyon

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did not read far enough before I posted before. The setup that I have above is great for work clothes and such, but I don't think would work that well with paniers at all. I would probably go with a messenger bag. Or I would ride my other bike with longer chain stays that day.
Old 06-06-08, 12:58 PM
mijome07

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Jandd Expedition rear rack
Old 06-06-08, 01:01 PM
newsace
Wannabe commuter & tourer

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions thus far. Digging further on the Axiom site took me to the Trunk Pack, which looks like it might work. Since it mounts on top, heel strike would probably be less likely.

https://www.axiomgear.com/product/bag...duct.php?id=79
Old 06-06-08, 03:58 PM
ok_commuter
bulletproof tiger

Bikes: Waterford 2200, Litespeed Tuscany, Salsa La Cruz, Kona Fire Mountain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.oldmanmountain.com

look at the sherpa

i just ordered one (they've been back ordered for a while) that should be in next week, and i'm putting it on a bike that is lacking some of the amenities and has disc brakes, so it should be a worst-ish case scenario. i'll try to post some pics.

it's expensive, but also supposedly bomb-proof and capable of holding whatever you want to pile on it.
Old 06-06-08, 04:25 PM
doctord

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an allez elite with no rack eyelets and use a tubus cargo rack with a trunk bag. Wayne at thetouringstore.com sold it to me with some nice adapters that allow for installation and also move the rack back so that panniers would be a possibility. a bit pricey, but a nice set-up.
Old 06-06-08, 10:08 PM
striegel 

Bikes: 1975 Paris Sport 700, 2007 Dahon Mu P8 (folding bicycle), 1984 Miyata 210

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 11 Posts
On my Dahon folding bicycle, I use the small rear rack with the Arkel Utility Basket (a large single pannier). It works because the hooks for the rack are adjustable along their aluminum channel. This makes it possible to have the body of the bag placed further back. I never have problems with heel strikes using this arrangement.

Old 06-07-08, 12:41 AM
trafficcasauras
Here's a Quarter...

Bikes: iro phoenix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nashbar mule rack has an extra long arm. i've seen you can also buy extra long arms from independent metal-workers.
otherwise, get a seat-post clamp rack.