Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-17, 04:40 PM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
Can you link to the idea pressure washer (hand pump) that a support person would use?

I have to look dad-cool showing up with the portable pressure washer.
i don't have a link, but there is a brand that is popular in the UK that makes one. it's battery-powered. i can't recall how long it lasts or how much water it requires.

the big venues have waters lines one can tap into, but don't expect that for stuff most (/all) amateur stuff, or even pro stuff in the US.

when it's really muddy you might want 1/2 lap changes, so you may need 3-4 bikes and multiple support staff if they have 2 pits. you can do that, right?
Old 11-03-17, 05:38 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider
...may need 3-4 bikes and multiple support staff if they have 2 pits. you can do that, right?
When the rider is ready, the pit crew will appear.

You'd help right?
Old 11-03-17, 06:04 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts

You'd help right?
Highest level cross races I've seen in person were both lost in the pits. Day 1 had Zach Macdonald flat and not have a proper support system in the pits to bail him out even though he was close when it happened. Day 2 had Jeremy page go into the pits for a bike change only for Logan Owen to attack then and ride away solo for the last two laps. These were 2015 UCI race in Seattle, Logan Owen won both days for his first and second UCI wins of his career while in the u23 national champ jersey.

Point is, a good pit crew is race saving. A bad crew might be a detriment. Logan didnt have anyone there as pit support so he didnt run the risk of pitting, instead opting to deal with the mud. And it paid off for two days.
Old 11-03-17, 06:26 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You'd help right?
Sure! Nothing I love more than standing in a pit in the rain, getting my hands wet washing bikes.
Old 11-03-17, 06:51 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
My wife surprised me by buying me a Raleigh rx 1.0 I had been eye balling. $700, sram 11 speed, seems pretty good. It has cantilever brakes which I’m good with. In fact I can use my powertap wheel with it so I can quantify my suckitude or sync least occasionally see when I can dig deeper. Getting it tomorrow prior to race so it’ll be interesting to see how it compares to my el cheapo build
Old 11-03-17, 08:31 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Speaking of cars.

We just dumped about 4 grand into both our cars this week. The frustrating thing is my wife's just went over the warranty by a few hundred miles. My Jeep went in for a wobble and somehow it costs 1500 to fix. I get the feeling if I went to another shop (and not the dealership) it would have cost half that; but I have a lifetime warranty. So far hasn't covered anything.
Old 11-04-17, 05:15 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4233 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,807 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
Speaking of cars.

We just dumped about 4 grand into both our cars this week. The frustrating thing is my wife's just went over the warranty by a few hundred miles. My Jeep went in for a wobble and somehow it costs 1500 to fix. I get the feeling if I went to another shop (and not the dealership) it would have cost half that; but I have a lifetime warranty. So far hasn't covered anything.
Last month I paid off one of my cars and this month had to take it into the shop for about $2k in repairs. They also said that the catalyst was degraded, but fortunately that was under warranty. Called the nearest dealership (the one I bought it from was closed, the nearest one is like an hour away now) and they said, sure, it's under warranty and they'd fix it, but first I need to runthrough 3 tanks of premium gas (specifically Shell brand). Wow,that added a fair bit to my next fill up. This is after we dropped about $2.5k into our other car in August. I suppose it's not that bad given that one car is 5-6 years old and the other is 11, but not expected.
Old 11-04-17, 05:59 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
First oil change out of warranty, my car needed new spark plugs.

Spark plugs are something I could probably do, BUT, it's a BMW, so I figured there was probably some special tool required or a computer code needed, which would end up costing me a ton to buy for little use. In the end, I just paid $400 to the dealership to have it done. (I brought the car to the dealer for the oil change because they were open on Saturday mornings, and I could get a ride in while the oil was changed.)

Last week, I brought the car back to the dealership for the airbag recall. While there, they said my rear brake pads were nearing the end of their life and suggested new pads and rotors. Their estimate: $1700.

I called to independent shops to get estimates: $500 and $600.

I won't be going to the dealer.
Old 11-04-17, 11:00 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
First oil change out of warranty, my car needed new spark plugs.

Spark plugs are something I could probably do, BUT, it's a BMW, so I figured there was probably some special tool required or a computer code needed, which would end up costing me a ton to buy for little use. In the end, I just paid $400 to the dealership to have it done. (I brought the car to the dealer for the oil change because they were open on Saturday mornings, and I could get a ride in while the oil was changed.)

Last week, I brought the car back to the dealership for the airbag recall. While there, they said my rear brake pads were nearing the end of their life and suggested new pads and rotors. Their estimate: $1700.

I won't be going to the dealer.
If getting rotors from pretty much any non-dealer shop request the painted/salt-spray-tested/epoxy-coated/etc variety (typically stocked by NAPA/AdvancedAuto/AutoPartsIntl). The hat (center) and the edges are finished. This prevents those areas from turning into rust balls in about 3 weeks. Even retail it's only about $10-15 more per rotor.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 11-04-17, 06:45 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro

you might do even better just by getting pads.

the thing with that is that whenever pads need replacing, BMW officially suggests pads AND rotors, and that's a bigger job (/esp with BMW parts and associated mark-up).

of course one should be able to replace pads several times before the rotors are finished, but occasionally if you have old rotors with new pads there might be a little uneven performance (slight) or noise until everything settles.

there was probably ONE customer who complained about this, and thereafter BMW realized it is better to just do both at the same time, every time, and many owners don't know enough to know this isn't a requirement. i think it's a myth that BMW owners aren't price-sensitive or that they can afford to be ripped off because a loaded outback costs more than some baseline BMWs.

at the time of purchase the dealership tries to sell the extended warranty, and they'll tell you that if you get ONE brake job it will pay for itself because brakes are $1700. it makes sense when you hear it, esp if the person knows little about vehicles. they play into customers' fears and lack of knowledge.

a smart person like you realizes that certain things (brakes, oil changes) don't HAVE TO be done at the dealer. as long as oil is to "BMW-spec" you can get your oil changed anywhere, but of course they don't make that easy to find.

can you just get pads at that independent dealer? might save you a few more hundred $$.
Old 11-04-17, 07:19 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
I don't know how people afford to get their cars serviced at dealers. Some of them must be honest, but others are total rip-off. Of course, some independent shops are rip-offs, too.

Working at a dealer for years I have seen stuff even I have a hard time believing. Some service advisors should be in jail for the things they do to people. Old people get it the worst, old people who hardly drive at all get sold thousands of dollars of useless crap by bottom-feeding service advisors. I'm ashamed of what goes on in our business.

I advise people to find someone they can trust and listen to that person. Also, don't buy crap that isn't recommended by the owners manual.
Old 11-04-17, 08:02 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
I think the difference lately is that pads last a really long time, rotors tend to be relatively cheap, and once you've done the labor to get all the way in there you might as well do the rotors too. They start out too thin to turn now too apparently.

Everyone from DIY to independent shops seems to do rotors every time with newer cars.
Old 11-04-17, 08:20 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Originally Posted by big john
I don't know how people afford to get their cars serviced at dealers.
Not talking about the skeevy part you mentioned, but I feel the same way about bike shops. I think at the last shop I worked for it was almost 20$ out the door if someone brought in a flat tire. No way I can afford that. Learn as much of this stuff yourself and make friends with mechanics to teach you the stuff you're not so confident on.

So, as a corollary, I need to learn more car stuff because ****'s expensive, yo.
Old 11-04-17, 09:31 PM
scheibo
once a runner

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
finally figured the cause of a critical bug my VP filed 5(!) months ago for what ends up being a a super rare race condition. my teammates originally responsible for this area in the code left 2 years ago and no one left really has any knowledge of it, so i had to painfully figure everything out from scratch before i could actually even begin to attempt to understand what could be going wrong. in the process i found something like 5-10 other subtle bugs (comb through any code hard enough and you'll find bugs...), but only just now was I able to diagnose what the original issue was.

i can't even begin to describe how good it feels to finally get out from under this. fixing the issue shouldn't take more than a week, and now i can finally be free to work on something less frustrating!
Old 11-04-17, 10:24 PM
big john

Originally Posted by Flatballer
I think the difference lately is that pads last a really long time, rotors tend to be relatively cheap, and once you've done the labor to get all the way in there you might as well do the rotors too. They start out too thin to turn now too apparently.

Everyone from DIY to independent shops seems to do rotors every time with newer cars.
I think German cars are notorious for having thin rotors, actually to thin to turn at the first pad replacement.
GM cars and trucks seem to be thick enough to allow machining. Of course you don't have to turn the rotors when you put new pads but if it squeaks or chatters you get a do-over. People recommend stuff to protect themselves from this, which is fine to a point.

We also have carbon rotors on the ZO6, can't turn those, you just weigh them. I heard the carbon rotors on the Macleran-Mercedes are $12,000 each!
Old 11-04-17, 10:30 PM
big john

We don't allow e-bikes on our club rides but today we made an exception for a well known guy who knows how to ride in a group. He pushed me on part of a climb (because I'm a fat slug) and I didn't really like it. If I was more tired maybe, or sick and bonking...
Old 11-04-17, 10:59 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Ebikes... sketchy experiences around them. As one gets faster, they grow more confident with the speeds they ride at. Now take the years of practice it takes for us to get used to riding 20mph on a bike path around others and throw it on someone who doesn't know what they're doing. I was drafting off of a ebike (didn't know it at the time) a few years back when he suddenly stopped pedalling (disengaged motor) and hit the brakes because there was someone 100 feet ahead of them on the trail. Needless to say i sprinted away from the situation as soon as I avoided the crash.

On the other hand, I demo'd an e mtb down in moab during Outerbike. I can see the place in the market for these but I can never see myself buying one. It took the part of biking that I enjoy and threw it straight out the window. A lot of people realy enjoy the technical aspect though and I'm all for getting more butts on bikes.
The speed limit they have now is really fun to play with. As soon as you hit the cap it piles on the resistance HARD! Doing sprints at 20mph(I think) on flat ground was interesting.
Old 11-04-17, 11:52 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by scheibo
finally figured the cause of a critical bug my VP filed 5(!) months ago for what ends up being a a super rare race condition. my teammates originally responsible for this area in the code left 2 years ago and no one left really has any knowledge of it, so i had to painfully figure everything out from scratch before i could actually even begin to attempt to understand what could be going wrong. in the process i found something like 5-10 other subtle bugs (comb through any code hard enough and you'll find bugs...), but only just now was I able to diagnose what the original issue was.

i can't even begin to describe how good it feels to finally get out from under this. fixing the issue shouldn't take more than a week, and now i can finally be free to work on something less frustrating!
that's awesome.

but as a QA person, I wince a bit because something like 10% of bug fixes result in more bugs! i'm sure you won't do that though.

also I hate those bugs that come from execs and VPs; they are usually not a big deal if joe schmo or joe tester filed 'em, but coming from a VP all of a sudden the priority gets bumped. the worst ones have no logs or anything, and just say "this is broken" and that's about it.

my race videos
Old 11-05-17, 12:07 AM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
went to the district awards banquet tonight - got 1st place in the p/1/2's BAR! getting on stage under bright lights with 100 people staring at you is pretty much my idea of a nightmare, but i didn't pee my pants or anything so it's all good.

do other districts do an end-of-year ceremony thing? I don't remember that from WA - then again I was never in the running for it there.

my race videos
Old 11-05-17, 04:43 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Congrats. We do one in NJ but it tends to be held pretty deep into the winter.
Old 11-05-17, 06:49 AM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mattm
went to the district awards banquet tonight - got 1st place in the p/1/2's BAR! getting on stage under bright lights with 100 people staring at you is pretty much my idea of a nightmare, but i didn't pee my pants or anything so it's all good.

do other districts do an end-of-year ceremony thing? I don't remember that from WA - then again I was never in the running for it there.
they started doing one of these for new england last year. i think it was in the winter once cx season is wrapped up.
Old 11-05-17, 07:16 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
We don't have a district end of the year event - or if we, I've just never been invited or heard about it.

Regarding e-Bikes, I would love one for a commuter bike. Being able to go a decent speed without working too hard or getting too sweaty would be awesome.

And in other news, I arrived at my hotel in Atlanta late last night for a conference. Somehow, the only rooms left were on the 60th floor. I've got a great view, but the truth is, I have a bit of vertigo and sometimes get dizzy/nauseated in high places. I am trying to avoid looking out the window.
Old 11-05-17, 08:07 AM
big john

Originally Posted by Ttoc6
Ebikes... sketchy experiences around them. As one gets faster, they grow more confident with the speeds they ride at. Now take the years of practice
I agree 100%. People who don't know how to ride in a group can suddenly keep up=sketchy. This is why our club doesn't allow them.
This particular guy was a good rider in our club for years and he developed some heart ailment, (not dangerous, just uncomfortable), so he doesn't want to hammer anymore. He's safe on the thing and stays back or sometimes he will pull (free motorpacing) and he's cool, so we're OK with it.
While he was pushing me he said his heart rate was 120bpm, so it's some work when you want it.
He has by-passed the governor so it will go over 40mph.
Old 11-05-17, 08:46 AM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Originally Posted by mattm

Washington had an end of year meeting this year. Sounded like it was more a "get together and ***** about the race directors" than a meeting though.

Utah had a dinner at a restraunt in slc. Free food, prizes, nice trophies and the people were very nice. I like this way better
Old 11-05-17, 08:55 AM
big john

Crap, it's raining.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.