Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 11-05-17, 09:48 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Crap, it's raining.
It does that there?
Old 11-05-17, 11:01 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Crap, it's raining.
Woke up early, hopefully it dries up.
Old 11-05-17, 12:14 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8185 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,391 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
It does that there?
Not really.
Old 11-05-17, 02:05 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
HTFU and go ride your bike. Rain won't kill you. (Reminder, this is coming from the guy who does 90% of his training indoors during the winter)
Old 11-05-17, 05:30 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
An illustration of my communication challenges (we know there are many here already).
SoCal...
Me - while running the rain... "I hope I can drive in the rain."
Wife: "Why won't you be able to drive in the rain?"
Me: "Because there is no rain."
Old 11-05-17, 06:08 PM
furiousferret

There was a Cross race today a few miles away. After crashing really hard last year (over the bars) in a CX race, and raining I blew it off. Road over there and watched some. The course was much less technical and safer so I was annoyed with myself for not doing it.
Old 11-05-17, 07:52 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 101 Posts
Ordered stuff to go outdoor kart racing. Apparently I have a kart waiting for me at an outdoor race in a couple weeks. Owner of kart went karting with me at an indoor place, after a few hours of karting he basically gave me a green light to drive one of his karts any time. He pressed really hard to see if I'd come down and drive one of his karts at this season ending race. Missus thinks it would be good for me to go, "you haven't done anything for yourself in a while". I'm still looking for a dual purpose jacket (daily wear but protective) but ordered some shoes, neck thing, and... something else, I forgot what. Oh, a book on karting.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 11-05-17, 08:28 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
After getting into watching a bit of f1 and doing some real basic karting as a kid, I think it would be quite enjoyable to go learn. When I've been to the track most recently I find myself struggling with driving lines. So used to the late apex we get away with in bike racing that I usually let off the gas too early and accelerate out of the corner too early. Makes for sketchy(and slow!) corners.

My brother is a mechanic for a friend on a Race truck and has dabbled in a bit of wrenching for karts. He just tells me how crazy expensive it is. I already spend enough money on my hobbies
Old 11-06-17, 01:59 AM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
What a heck is Redstar/titanium membership on this forum?
I haven't really been paying attention to what has been happening with this stuff. Just logging in once in a while to post. lol
Old 11-06-17, 05:13 AM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by Ttoc6
After getting into watching a bit of f1 and doing some real basic karting as a kid, I think it would be quite enjoyable to go learn. When I've been to the track most recently I find myself struggling with driving lines. So used to the late apex we get away with in bike racing that I usually let off the gas too early and accelerate out of the corner too early. Makes for sketchy(and slow!) corners.

My brother is a mechanic for a friend on a Race truck and has dabbled in a bit of wrenching for karts. He just tells me how crazy expensive it is. I already spend enough money on my hobbies
My friend gave me some tips, sort of like a Cat 3 telling a newbie about bike racing. He got rid of his something kart (high rpm, 30-ish hp) and is using a spec 9 hp one now. Said his lap times were not that far off because the more powerful kart was so peaky (and the regular outdoor course where he races doesn't have the long fast sections that work for the high rpm karts).

I learned a few things about karting - the need to lean out or sit upright on turns, not in (to lift the inside rear wheel - solid axle), to maintain speed vs taking the "right line" (to keep engine in proper rpm range, else you lose too much power/momentum), minimal steering input (same as cars I think).

I found that getting a good exit before long sections really makes a huge difference, esp when chasing someone that sacrifices the exit to defend into the turn.

As far as racing goes, I know very little. I hope not to make huge mistakes out there.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 11-06-17, 06:00 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
For the last several months, I've been working on a huge, interactive trade show booth at work, creating a lot of new content and concepts related to our work. It was a major departure from anything we had ever done before - basically, we used to be super boring and conservative, and this is really not. There were a lot of people, including several big wigs, who were not happy with the concept or change. It's been incredibly stressful, to the point that I was waking up a 2 am worrying about things and sending emails to myself and others to check on things.

Yesterday was the first day of the conference, and it was huge success. Everyone seems to really enjoy it. so, that is a huge weight off me.

At the same time, yesterday was only day one of the conference, and I am completely wiped from standing there working the voice. I'm not sure I can make it through two more days.
Old 11-06-17, 09:58 AM
furiousferret

Originally Posted by topflightpro
For the last several months, I've been working on a huge, interactive trade show booth at work, creating a lot of new content and concepts related to our work. It was a major departure from anything we had ever done before - basically, we used to be super boring and conservative, and this is really not. There were a lot of people, including several big wigs, who were not happy with the concept or change. It's been incredibly stressful, to the point that I was waking up a 2 am worrying about things and sending emails to myself and others to check on things.

Yesterday was the first day of the conference, and it was huge success. Everyone seems to really enjoy it. so, that is a huge weight off me.

At the same time, yesterday was only day one of the conference, and I am completely wiped from standing there working the voice. I'm not sure I can make it through two more days.
Presenting is a lot of work. Hours of talking and standing can take its toll, but its really the constant focus to keep peoples attention that's draining. Good luck.
Old 11-06-17, 10:11 AM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
So yea..not going to be working at Trek. Got 2 rejection emails for the 2 jobs I interviewed for.. :/
Old 11-06-17, 10:19 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by Wylde06
So yea..not going to be working at Trek. Got 2 rejection emails for the 2 jobs I interviewed for.. :/
That's a shame. Don't let it get you down though, something better will come along instead.
Old 11-06-17, 10:57 AM
furiousferret

Originally Posted by Wylde06
I wanted to ask but figured I'd find out...
Old 11-06-17, 12:08 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by UmneyDurak
What a heck is Redstar/titanium membership on this forum?
I got my "red star" gifted from someone in the Rando sub-forum a few years ago, I think it means I don't see ads is all.

my race videos
Old 11-06-17, 06:22 PM
scheibo
once a runner

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
that's awesome.

but as a QA person, I wince a bit because something like 10% of bug fixes result in more bugs! i'm sure you won't do that though.
yup. but as long as i introduce a less severe bug (or at least a bug that doesn't affect any execs) i'm fine! (I actually almost did that today - in working on a fix, one of my proposed solutions would turn the 1/10^10 race into a 1/10^20 race. Pretty sure I've resolved that. Could be missing a 10^30 race though...).

also I hate those bugs that come from execs and VPs; they are usually not a big deal if joe schmo or joe tester filed 'em, but coming from a VP all of a sudden the priority gets bumped. the worst ones have no logs or anything, and just say "this is broken" and that's about it.
Pretty much. This bug has been around for 2-3 years, tons of reports. Then a VP and another exec hit it and its top priority. C'est la vie. Except in this case it was the VP who had useful logs, not any of the other reports. Go figure.
Old 11-07-17, 12:57 AM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
I got my "red star" gifted from someone in the Rando sub-forum a few years ago, I think it means I don't see ads is all.
Ah. Wanted to post in for sale sub forum in road cycling, but I guess I need to be redstar or titanium member.
Old 11-07-17, 09:54 AM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
You can buy it or the "titanium" thing too I guess.

my race videos
Old 11-07-17, 10:20 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
I don't think you can buy the red star. It was sold a long time ago when the guy who first ran the site needed some money to keep the servers running, but it's my understanding that it hasn't been sold in 10+ years.
Old 11-07-17, 11:23 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
"titanium" hahaha

As if internet forums aren't dated enough, the premiere membership is an out of date frame material.
Old 11-07-17, 11:45 AM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by topflightpro

I think the whole thing is awesome. On the "voice" part, this came to mind:

Old 11-07-17, 05:30 PM
Flatballer
No matches

I got pulled into an interview panel today, and I actually really enjoyed it. Interesting to be on the other side for a change.
Old 11-07-17, 05:43 PM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
I got pulled into an interview panel today, and I actually really enjoyed it. Interesting to be on the other side for a change.
Private industry panels are ok. You can ask questions and have a discussion. State panels (at least in CA) are terrible for the panel and the poor sap getting interviewed. Scripted monotony and I’m drained just thinking about it.

I have to hire someone in the next couple weeks and am setting up interviews now. Feel bad for the folks I have to drag in their with me.
Old 11-07-17, 07:09 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by hack
Private industry panels are ok. You can ask questions and have a discussion. State panels (at least in CA) are terrible for the panel and the poor sap getting interviewed. Scripted monotony and I’m drained just thinking about it.

I have to hire someone in the next couple weeks and am setting up interviews now. Feel bad for the folks I have to drag in their with me.
I can see how that could be a lot worse with lots of rules and stuff. I basically just got to make up questions on the fly to see if they knew what they claimed on their resume and if their technical skills were good enough to work with.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.