Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Always some new lubes to test:

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-19, 05:39 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts

Found these on Amazon, took delivery today and did a spray-test on the plastic sheet.

The "DRY" lube was visibly dry in 30 seconds, the other two have silicone oil that will never dry.
Silicone and PTFE are what the best/priciest cable greases are made from, and never thicken inside of your housings.

Always on the lookout for a new "holy grail" lube suitable for in-situ lubing of cables with maximal results. The DRY lube is the kind that I use to refill my squeeze bottle with a seasonally-adjusted 10-20% oil added for quietness and longevity. The very high solvent content of the aerosol product assures that I can easily wipe down the chain after lubing with no excess of oil remaining to creep out of the links and cause sludge to appear.

I'll try to get these tested and report back here.
Old 01-23-19, 07:42 AM
eom 
Eccentric Old Man

Bikes: 1986 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1979 Schwinn Traveler III, Trek T100, 1995 Trek 970, Fuji America

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 87 Posts
I'm looking forward to your report. Real world info is good.

Old 01-23-19, 09:08 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Well, the title of the thread will draw 'em in, that's for sure.
Old 01-23-19, 02:56 PM
MarcoBianchi

Bikes: Peugeot Mont Blanc . Bianchi 28c 1980. Coppi Giro di Lombardia. Vitoria Vintage 1990. Orbea Luarca 1977. Trek 950.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
The title had frightened...I think we will be delighted to hear your experiences.
Old 01-23-19, 03:30 PM
Nemosengineer 

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson Audax Club, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 245 Posts
Great thread, I'm looking forward to seeing all the new lubes your experimenting with.

: Mike
Old 01-23-19, 04:53 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,470 Times in 1,435 Posts
Originally Posted by Nemosengineer
Great thread, I'm looking forward to seeing all the new lubes your experimenting with.

: Mike
Check out his other posts here. I always learn something from him.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-23-19, 05:26 PM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
Great endeavour, look forward to updates.
A minor word of caution to all about silicone (lube, adhesive, what have you)... Apparently it is murder on paint adhesion, even in trace quantities, and not easy to strip, so much so that automotive OEMs do NOT allow the substance, in any form, within their factory walls.
Old 01-23-19, 09:18 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Originally Posted by old's'cool
Great endeavour, look forward to updates.
A minor word of caution to all about silicone (lube, adhesive, what have you)... Apparently it is murder on paint adhesion, even in trace quantities, and not easy to strip, so much so that automotive OEMs do NOT allow the substance, in any form, within their factory walls.
Oh, yeah, and one thing I learned from working on copying machines was that you sure don't want to get ANY in your eye, or on your shoe, or linoleum.
Old 01-23-19, 10:03 PM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
Found these on Amazon, took delivery today and did a spray-test on the plastic sheet.

The "DRY" lube was visibly dry in 30 seconds, the other two have silicone oil that will never dry.
Silicone and PTFE are what the best/priciest cable greases are made from, and never thicken inside of your housings.

Always on the lookout for a new "holy grail" lube suitable for in-situ lubing of cables with maximal results. The DRY lube is the kind that I use to refill my squeeze bottle with a seasonally-adjusted 10-20% oil added for quietness and longevity. The very high solvent content of the aerosol product assures that I can easily wipe down the chain after lubing with no excess of oil remaining to creep out of the links and cause sludge to appear.

I'll try to get these tested and report back here.
I hate to be a "Tree Hugger" here but this is nasty stuff. Anyone that has any doubts should watch the Netflix Doc.

The Devil we Know.
Old 01-23-19, 11:51 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

I should have mentioned that the "dry" lubes that I fortify with 10-20% motor oil (after spraying into the squeeze bottle) is what I use on chains. The solvent content is fast-drying, so the bike can be brought into the house soon after lubing, or ridden soon after lubing without any tendency for any lube to fly off, as long as the chain is wiped down thoroughly after application.
The old rule is that "you can't wipe too much lube off of your chain".
Cost per ounce is low.

As far as the "nastiness" quotient, yes these are aerosol products having a propellant. Teflon is fairly inert, but is quite nasty if burned. And silicone is inert. The terrycloth rag that I wipe the chain down with after lubing ends up in a landfill, but only after many, many post-chain lubing wipe-downs. This same soiled cloth is great for wiping down old bikes, gives the most hopeless-looking bikes some color and gloss back.
Old 01-24-19, 08:19 PM
Nemosengineer 

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson Audax Club, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 245 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Check out his other posts here. I always learn something from him.
I think that is the biggest joy in life (besides two wheels), is learning something new.
Best Wishes: Mike
Old 01-24-19, 11:27 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I've had good results with Boeshield T9 liquid for making old oxidized cables tolerable in the original cable housings. Not as good as new, but tolerable until I can replace them.

I use a needle applicator. It doesn't take much. Boeshield wicks quickly down the cable. Doesn't leave any residue that can become gummy. That was a problem with Park CL-1, which is really suitable only as a chain lube. It forms a tacky film after a few days, which is fine for chains in wet weather, but not so great anywhere else. It made cables and pulley wheels worse rather than better.
Old 01-25-19, 02:03 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

I'm finding the aerosol silicone lube effective as freeing sluggish cables, but takes a day or so for the solvent to disappear leaving just the silicone/Teflon and becoming smooth.

Prior to the solvent evaporating, the cable movement has a rather "dry" feel to it.

The lube in the squeeze bottle seems not to have any solvent, just a low-viscosity silicone oil as the carrier.
Pure silicone oil is available in many viscosities btw. It never dries or thickens.
Old 01-26-19, 11:10 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
Oh, yeah, and one thing I learned from working on copying machines was that you sure don't want to get ANY in your eye, or on your shoe, or linoleum.
Just had a nightmare flashback... I was helping a friend with a kitchen install back in the day and some how we spilled silicone on the kitchen linoleum. At some point we had to push a cabinet or the counter in towards the wall and there was no way to get traction on the floor. So i ended up lying on the floor with my feet on the wall across, stretched out holding his feet so he could push. That worked great until we got to "hand me the screw gun"....
Old 01-26-19, 12:22 PM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
The chemical that goes into making Teflon is called C8 and is extremly toxic. Dupont has been poisoning people in the lower Ohio River Valley for decades. 3M who initially supplied C8 stopped making it after acknowledging the Health risks. However Dupont not caring started making it themselves under another Company name. Apparently 99% of Americans have the C8 compound in their Blood stream. Maybe this clip can explain it better.

https://truthout.org/video/chemical-...-across-globe/
Old 01-26-19, 05:50 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

To the extent that a US corporation is fouling the environment, it is just what can be expected from a publicly-traded firm to the extent that the regulating agencies allow this.

Violations are supposed to generate fines and thus to fund enhanced monitoring and an overall cleaner envirinment.
To the extent that it isn't working is really a political problem then, perhaps leaving consumers to educate themselves and consider boycotting the too-big-to-be-regulated offenders(?). That's supposed to influence the shareholders, and thus the publicly-traded corporation's actions.

A problem with all this is that news agencies and other sources of public "information" can be biased against corporations whose shares the "news" agency's owners might be wanting to acquire at lower cost and/or to effect a board takeover. I can well imagine that some of the stunts that have been pulled by "60 Minutes" over the years may have such ulterior motives, the richest people always trying to get richer. Fake news indeed!

Could C8 be turning up in body tissues due to the frequent occurrence of overheating cookware?
I mean, do people throw away their cooked food when that happens?
Old 01-26-19, 06:46 PM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
No Teflon cookware in my kitchen.
I do have some DuPont dry Teflon lube in a can. I'll try to reduce the amount that I inadvertently ingest, from now on.
Old 01-26-19, 10:49 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

I was asking because I'm not sure that there is any toxicity from even inhaled Teflon so long as it isn't burned.

It was the manufacturing process where a related chemical was used that caused the uproar over Teflon, including regional environmental poisoning at the big plants where Teflon was being made.

There are other chemicals once related to Teflon manufacture that made their way into a wide range of consumer products from stain blockers to food wrappers.

In other words I am not worried about getting poisoned by Teflon since I don't live near a vintage Teflon factory and since I don't burn it.
The related PFOA and PFOS fluorocarbon pollutants (once widely used for stainblocking) have, I believe, been removed from the market.

Scary though to think of all of the chemicals in use whose dangers have not yet been realized. A ton of money can be made if the product stays on the market long enough to make the later liability payouts seem like a drop in the bucket, and/or if the company dissolves or files for bankruptcy. Not everything that's new on the market gets tested first.

I did a refurb on a 1970 Schwinn Supersport today and used the squeeze bottle lube on the lined rear brake cable housing. It's a women's step-thru model with a torturous cable path to the rear brake, but the lubed cable moves freely. A drop or two goes a long way(!), and unlike the aerosols there are no solvents to cause toxicity to penetrate skin.
Old 01-30-19, 05:52 PM
zackzhrd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a safe alternative, look into a PTFE-free type that's non-toxic. Peace of mind for yourself. WPL (Whistler Performance Lubricants) has some high performance lube I recommend.
Old 01-30-19, 06:04 PM
jcb3

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
As far as I understand, teflon (PTFE) is a different chemical than is causing drinking water issues. PFOA is used in making teflon but isnt in the final product.