Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Hiawatha bike

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-19, 12:33 PM
Chabbs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hiawatha bike

Found this bike at my family farm and I would love some info and knowledge about it. Year? And I would also love to get some parts for it but having a very hard time finding them. I want to keep it original as possible. We need tires, maybe rims, and a chain.
Is anyone able to help me or point me in the right direction ? Please and thank you
Old 08-20-19, 03:07 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1799 Post(s)
Liked 2,334 Times in 1,378 Posts
Chabbs - Think about what you are asking. You offer no description of condition. We have no idea of model so can't offer any advice. Suppose you had a shotgun and it was marked "Winchester" and all you said was "I have a Winchester and I am looking for parts", how could anyone know what you were talking about? Same with a Ford. "I have a Ford and I'm looking for parts".

Does the bike have any markings? Colour or wheel size? Do the components (pedals, cranks etc.) have any markings?

If you enter '"Hiawatha Bike" on Google what do you find? Have you checked eBay/Craigslist/Offer Up, etc? Have you found similar models that look like yours?

If you complete ten posts here (introduction page/ask questions on other post/ use the search bar and enter Hiawatha/ post on threads dealing with these) you will easily hit ten posts which shows you aren;t a robot and then you can post photos. With photos people can do a lot more.

Ps there is a website - https://thecabe.com/forum/. You could also search there.
Old 08-20-19, 03:22 PM
tmh657

Bikes: A few BSO's.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 27 Posts
Does it look like this? This is a cool bike.

Last edited by tmh657; 08-23-19 at 06:53 AM.
Old 08-21-19, 12:00 PM
Chabbs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WGB
Chabbs - Think about what you are asking. You offer no description of condition. We have no idea of model so can't offer any advice. Suppose you had a shotgun and it was marked "Winchester" and all you said was "I have a Winchester and I am looking for parts", how could anyone know what you were talking about? Same with a Ford. "I have a Ford and I'm looking for parts".

Does the bike have any markings? Colour or wheel size? Do the components (pedals, cranks etc.) have any markings?

If you enter '"Hiawatha Bike" on Google what do you find? Have you checked eBay/Craigslist/Offer Up, etc? Have you found similar models that look like yours?

If you complete ten posts here (introduction page/ask questions on other post/ use the search bar and enter Hiawatha/ post on threads dealing with these) you will easily hit ten posts which shows you aren;t a robot and then you can post photos. With photos people can do a lot more.

Ps there is a website - You could also search there.
Hello, thanks for the harsh approach and info. This is my first forum and I had wrote the message and then I tried to add photos to further my information BUT was unaware that I needed 10 posts but my message sent without the photos. So sorry to inconvenience you with little info.
The Hiawatha bike is green, not a female bike, Indian head badge and I think the numbers are 45 168 24 123 ? , and no other marking that I can see. On the bottom bracket I believe it reads A29109 540.

I have looked online at those places you have mentioned and cant find any images that look like the bike I have.

WOW ... this forum is annoying.. I go to send my reply and because I am new I cant reply to your message because it has links in it !!!! Soooo, I will delete the links you have in your message so I can send it
Old 08-21-19, 12:39 PM
Chabbs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I finally found a frame that looks like the one I have and and web says it a Hoffman - wishbone frame.
Old 08-23-19, 01:03 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
Hello Chabbs and give us a break please. Bike Forums members are mostly polite and informative. WGB is a very respected member and did not mean to offend but his point is well taken. I can't help but believe that you can see that now. That said...

Send me a picture of the bike but do so through my website - MY "TEN SPEEDS. I will post the picture (s) to get you started. That said...

You need ten posts before you can include or send pictures on Bike Forums. This useful but frustrating feature is in place to prevent scamming. Same for private messages, I believe.

Again, welcome and, given a chance, you just might enjoy our company and information sources.
Old 08-23-19, 09:25 AM
Chabbs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tmh657
Does it look like this? This is a cool bike.
very cool bike and yes the bike I have does look like this on but without all the Accessories and it’s green. The frame looks to me like a match
Old 08-23-19, 09:37 AM
Chabbs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
Hello Chabbs and give us a break please. Bike Forums members are mostly polite and informative. WGB is a very respected member and did not mean to offend but his point is well taken. I can't help but believe that you can see that now. That said...

Send me a picture of the bike but do so through my website . I will post the picture (s) to get you started. That said...

You need ten posts before you can include or send pictures on Bike Forums. This useful but frustrating feature is in place to prevent scamming. Same for private messages, I believe.

Again, welcome and, given a chance, you just might enjoy our company and information sources.

Thank you for the reply and for the help. I really appreciate it and I beat there is a ton of knowledge here.
Old 08-23-19, 09:55 AM
WGB 
WGB

Chabbs - Sorry if I offended but I sincerely would like to help (Was away or I would have answered your reply quicker).

If you notice, this website gets many requests for help just like yours and all I was doing was explaining why it will be hard to help based upon what you had to offer. Most people here started the way you did, asking the same questions in the same way. If you look at some of my earlier posts I did exactly as you did. Some people can't understand why their posts get no responses, but without something - anything - to go on it's hard.

As recently as February I rushed a request for help. I wanted to know who made two bikes I had found that had no headbadges or decals.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/1166993-mystery-meat-1-a.html

I posted many photos of components but didn't post good shots of the frame. Very quickly people were posting back "The guys with lots of experience like photos of all the frame details,cheers", Can you provide a picture of the seat cluster, (ie where the tubes meet below the seat)?", " Do you know what size the seat post is? Can you read the threading on the BB cups? Any pics of the head luggs?". See? I get it too. These are not personal attacks they were attempts to point me in the right direction so I would remember to post photos/information that could assist members here who are trying to help me.

I am not knowledgeable about Hiawatha as brand but I am interested in cool old bikes (or just cool bikes)! I sincerely want to see photos of your bike. Even if you aren't happy with me, please take the time to post the required posts so everyone can see your bike

Wesley

PS: Randy - I forgot to say that while in Brantford at the C&V show I met the men from TO who grabbed up your stock. I asked if they were buying this year and they said no, they were broke after buying from you because apparently they bought your entire collection. Very happy gentlemen!
Old 08-23-19, 10:49 AM
Schreck83 

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 162 Posts
Chabbs-
No doubt you have also discovered that you can't post more than 5 times per day until you get to 10 posts.
See you tomorrow!
Old 08-23-19, 04:21 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
This is interesting. I have seen a couple of Hiawatha bicycles that were manufactured by CCM. The brand was owned by Macleod's, a Winnipeg based chain of hardware stores founded in 1917. The Hiawatha brand was used on a number of Macleod products but on bicycles only dates back to 1946.

It's curious that the bicycle would have been manufactured by Huffman, a USA based manufacturer. Even more curious is the employment of skip tooth chainring. These had long fallen out of popularity in Canada, though they were still fairly popular in the USA, up until World War II. I'm wondering if Macleod's expanded into the USA and if the "45" on the head badge might be a date code indicating a 1946 model manufactured in late 1945? Link to OP's photos, https://www.bikeforums.net/g/album/14918220
Old 08-23-19, 07:20 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Pic assist...

Old 08-23-19, 08:06 PM
Chabbs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
This is interesting. I have seen a couple of Hiawatha bicycles that were manufactured by CCM. The brand was owned by Macleod's, a Winnipeg based chain of hardware stores founded in 1917. The Hiawatha brand was used on a number of Macleod products but on bicycles only dates back to 1946.

It's curious that the bicycle would have been manufactured by Huffman, a USA based manufacturer. Even more curious is the employment of skip tooth chainring. These had long fallen out of popularity in Canada, though they were still fairly popular in the USA, up until World War II. I'm wondering if Macleod's expanded into the USA and if the "45" on the head badge might be a date code indicating a 1946 model manufactured in late 1945? Link to OP's photos,

thanks for the info. My family farm is right on the sask and Montana border and most my family is American - so this could be an American made bike.
I am getting closer to 10 posts ������
Thanks everyone.

Thanks for all the chats - this bike has been sitting around for years and I am getting very excited by your guys comments and knowledge. I am pumped to get this bike riding again
Old 08-23-19, 08:07 PM
Kent T

Bikes: 2002 Trek 800 Singletrack, 1982 Bridgestone Spica

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
There is a USA Hiawatha Bicycle. It was sold by Gamble-Skogmo Department Stores. I have seen a 1950's example, it has the headbadge this one has. The USA Hiawathas look like they are Huffman built (Huffy). Hope this helps you narrow it down.
Old 08-24-19, 10:44 AM
randyjawa 

Suppose you had a shotgun and it was marked "Winchester" and all you said was "I have a Winchester and I am looking for parts", how could anyone know what you were talking about?
Sorry, I just could not resist and this baby does not come out of the gate very fast at the sound of the gun. My Winchester...
Old 08-24-19, 11:00 AM
WGB 
WGB

Randy

I'd never even heard of Winchester bikes. Seriously, what makes and models don't end up in the Thunder Bay dump??
Old 08-24-19, 11:46 AM
randyjawa 

Seriously, what makes and models don't end up in the Thunder Bay dump??
Not really sure which, of course, I can't really prove without a picture:-) Perhaps something I haven't seen there will be there when I go there right now. Last time there, this came home with me and was given to a friend the next day...
Old 08-24-19, 09:35 PM
Chabbs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not sure if it’s original but the Rear hub has Bendix Elmira, NY 28-13

Nothing on the front hub. The front hub is white with red piping and the back rim is silver - so I am not sure which one would be the original

I never knew this was called a skip tooth - thank you for the knowledge. The front ring has 24 teeth and the back has 10.

What kind of chain would I need to buy for this bike ? The space between the teeth are about an 1”

Under the metal saddle it’s imprinted with The Faulhaber Monroeville Ohio USA Patspend.

I have the saddle but just the two metal pieces that bolts down to the spring seat. Wondering if I can buy material to fix it or if I would have to buy a whole new saddle

And I also need 24” tires for the bike. Some ads have said that it came with white walled tires.

Do you guys know where I could purchase some tires and know that I am getting the right tires for the bike ?
Old 08-25-19, 04:18 AM
randyjawa 

Well, I did go to the dump yesterday, as stated, and could not be bothered to bring this home with me...

But I did find time to shoot the colors on my Rabeneick (got the Rab in Texas)...
Old 08-25-19, 07:23 AM
Chabbs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
Well, I did go to the dump yesterday, as stated, and could not be bothered to bring this home with me...

But I did find time to shoot the colors on my Rabeneick (got the Rab in Texas)...
super cool bike. Love the colors on your Rab.

also that dumpster bike is awesome.
Old 08-25-19, 11:43 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by WGB
Randy

I'd never even heard of Winchester bikes. Seriously, what makes and models don't end up in the Thunder Bay dump??
That Winchester is a modern, retro-styled knock-off of an old delivery/motorbike. If you want one, I know where there is one.