Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

2007 Specialized Tarmac Info

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 09-17-19, 05:23 AM
Mdl
Montedino

Bikes: Bertin, Ross Mt Hood; Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts

Hi,
I’m interested in buying a 2007 Specialized Tarmac Comp that I came across. Can you let me know your thoughts on the bike?

I’m a relatively new rider and I have an older aluminum Trek with STI but it’s too small for me, I’m looking for a used 54 cm bike (I’ve been fitted at the LBS). I’ve test ridden a few vintage steel bikes and was leaning in that direction (smoother ride than aluminum and cost). I have no experience with carbon bikes. I’d ride it mostly recreationally and for exercise. I’m also interested in a scenic half century on a local bike trail.

Any advice as to whether this would be a good bike and value (it’s in excellent condition) would be much appreciated. Thank you!
Old 09-17-19, 09:04 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
A great bike and a good choice, assuming it's low miles. What I ride, in the top-end version.

It will be 10 speed, which is fine and may have a 52/39 crankset and not as low of gears as many want these days.

This can be changed at moderate cost.

You'll enjoy the light weight.
Old 09-17-19, 12:32 PM
Mdl
Montedino

Originally Posted by woodcraft
A great bike and a good choice, assuming it's low miles. What I ride, in the top-end version.

It will be 10 speed, which is fine and may have a 52/39 crankset and not as low of gears as many want these days.

This can be changed at moderate cost.

You'll enjoy the light weight.
Thank you, Woodcraft. Would you have any idea what fair market value would be?

The bike happens to be a Gerolsteiner version of the Tarmac. However, it doesn’t say S-Works as I’ve seen on some. I looked on EBay (past sales) and Craigslist, but can’t find a match. I need to make an offer and I’m at a loss (other than seeing newer Tarmacs with asking prices at $800 and up).

Thnks in advance For any information you may provide!
Old 09-17-19, 07:56 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by Mdl
Thank you, Woodcraft. Would you have any idea what fair market value would be?

The bike happens to be a Gerolsteiner version of the Tarmac. However, it doesn’t say S-Works as I’ve seen on some. I looked on EBay (past sales) and Craigslist, but can’t find a match. I need to make an offer and I’m at a loss (other than seeing newer Tarmacs with asking prices at $800 and up).

Thnks in advance For any information you may provide!
Look for an S on the front of the frame. I was on a 2006 until earlier this year (Gerolsteiner team frame I built up in 06). Handles much the same as my 2019 Sworks Tarmac
Old 09-17-19, 08:50 PM
Mdl
Montedino

Originally Posted by popeye
Look for an S on the front of the frame. I was on a 2006 until earlier this year (Gerolsteiner team frame I built up in 06). Handles much the same as my 2019 Sworks Tarmac
There was an S on the head tube but I’m not sure whether there was an S anywhere else.

It did say Shimano Flight deck 105 on the hoods.

Would you mind if I ask your thoughts on what a rough price estimate would be on the bike, since it sounds like you had the same one (?) or close to it?

Also, is the ride hard? I’d describe my current bike as “bone jarring”! Looking to avoid that if possible.

Thanks!
Old 09-18-19, 09:18 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by Mdl
There was an S on the head tube but I’m not sure whether there was an S anywhere else.

It did say Shimano Flight deck 105 on the hoods.

Would you mind if I ask your thoughts on what a rough price estimate would be on the bike, since it sounds like you had the same one (?) or close to it?

Also, is the ride hard? I’d describe my current bike as “bone jarring”! Looking to avoid that if possible.

Thanks!
I have no idea what used bikes are selling for these days. It is a very sweet ride. I was still on 23c tires, CF saddle and lots of miles every week I have owned it. I loved it enough to upgrade it to DA DI2, a couple of sets of deep CF wheels, PT and the rest. I was shocked at how comfortable the new Tarmac is but I had no complaints with the old one. It was also very durable as I lost track of how many times I crashed that frame and I'm taking about flying through the air upside down kind of crashes. I will probably build it up again.
Old 09-18-19, 04:35 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
I have a Tarmac Elite from maybe '08?

With an ally seatpost the ride was nothing special. Once I popped a carbon post in though, it was a magic carpet.