Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Higher end bibs - is there a wrong choice?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-19, 01:44 PM
OkFine

Bikes: Bianchi Sempre Veloce eTap, Poseidon X, Cannondale F5,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 11 Posts

I'm looking to purchase a pair of "nice" bibs. I've been researching Desoto 400, Assos Equipe Evo, Rapha Classic/Explore, and Pactimo Summit Stratos and can't seem to find a definitive answer of "which to get". I'm guessing there's a lot of personal preference involved, which makes sense, so is there a wrong choice to start out with?
Old 09-18-19, 01:48 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Nope. As long as it fits, you can't go wrong with any of those.
Likes For tagaproject6:
Old 09-18-19, 02:16 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Look at the chamois shape and make sure it matches or posterior and riding position. Some are wider in the front/rear, some position the pad further back or forward etc. Even sizing can change this. These are all things independant of the foam type and materials which generally make high end bibs more expensive
Likes For redlude97:
Old 09-19-19, 06:38 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Focus on the padding (thickness, materials, form, etc.) and make sure that it covers the surface area of your butt when sitting on the saddle, the rest is just secondary honestly... You could be comfortable wearing a 40$ pair and feel horrible wearing a 100$ one.
Old 09-19-19, 07:03 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22598 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
The wrong choice is the one that chafes and/or does not feel comfortable after a few hours in the saddle. That's true regardless of budget. Contact point fit and comfort are SO personal, and clothing (shorts/bibs, shoes) is more personal than even saddles.
Likes For datlas:
Old 09-19-19, 07:45 AM
OkFine

In regards to focusing on chamois coverage and position, I'm not sure how to go about doing that to be honest. None of the brands I mentioned in my original post show where the pad is in the bibs and some don't even show an image of the pad at all. If I could get my hands on them before purchasing that would be great, but there isn't a store in my state at all that sells what I've been looking at. The one local bike store just has some cheaper Bontrager in stock so I'm left to online purchases.

I have a pair of Desoto Riviera tri shorts and I really liked them, but I don't really enjoy shorts any more after trying bibs (Przewalski which are "fine I guess"). My gut instinct was to buy the Desoto 400 mile bibs based off the shorts experience, but I don't see much buzz about Desoto outside of the triathlon world so it made me a bit hesitant for strictly cycle oriented apparel. It concerned me that I might should open up my options and here I am.
Old 09-19-19, 08:05 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by Peammila
The wrong choice

lol!
Old 09-19-19, 10:18 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by OkFine
In regards to focusing on chamois coverage and position, I'm not sure how to go about doing that to be honest. None of the brands I mentioned in my original post show where the pad is in the bibs and some don't even show an image of the pad at all. If I could get my hands on them before purchasing that would be great, but there isn't a store in my state at all that sells what I've been looking at. The one local bike store just has some cheaper Bontrager in stock so I'm left to online purchases.

I have a pair of Desoto Riviera tri shorts and I really liked them, but I don't really enjoy shorts any more after trying bibs (Przewalski which are "fine I guess"). My gut instinct was to buy the Desoto 400 mile bibs based off the shorts experience, but I don't see much buzz about Desoto outside of the triathlon world so it made me a bit hesitant for strictly cycle oriented apparel. It concerned me that I might should open up my options and here I am.
If you're looking for high end order from a place like competitive cyclist and chat with their online rep. They will send you a free return shipping label. Order a bunch or brands and sizes and keep what you want
Old 09-19-19, 10:51 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
I'm fairly insensitive to chamois shape so made my choice based on reviews of how much space a brand has "up front". Based on reading many threads filled with much immaturity, it seems to me that brands who run the seams across the "bikini line" instead of straight up the front may tend to be more spacious for male wearers...
Old 09-19-19, 05:19 PM
asiantrick

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You can't go wrong with Assos or Q36.5. I actually prefer Q36.5 over any other bibs out there. Rapha Pro line on the other hand is hit or miss, some love it, some hate it.
Old 09-19-19, 05:37 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
The best are the ones that work for you. For me, after many years of trial and error, it's Assos. You may be different.
Old 09-19-19, 06:17 PM
teutoned
Sage Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
Focus on the padding (thickness, materials, form, etc.) and make sure that it covers the surface area of your butt when sitting on the saddle, the rest is just secondary honestly... You could be comfortable wearing a 40$ pair and feel horrible wearing a 100$ one.
Jeezzzuss! Most TOP SHELF cycling bibs will come w/ a quality pad (they thought of that.) It’s really about choosing and knowing the proper size. Proper sizing comes with a bit of trial and error. All the keyboard jockeys love to post that X brand in size Y works great for me or X brand runs small so size up, and Y brand runs big so size up w/o posting their measurements. WTF? The secret is a mix of trial and error and knowing how you want your garment to fit, your measurements, and brand’s ACTUAL garment measurements (which brands never post.) For me, end of this summer, I measure approx 5’9” @ 155-153lbs, chest 37”, hips 37”, waist 32” which puts me, in most brands, (ELIEL, capo, pearl izumi, godandfamous) between a size small or medium. I wear the larger sizes at start of season and transition to smaller size. For me, medium bib in these bramds works best for me. You’ll spend more time than you want to measuring the actual position of chamois in bib (who does this? I might start.)!Most importantly, you won’t really know until you’ve ridden some miles. Wait, what about your saddle postion, ie. tilt, fore/aft position, and/or width? I think, we should start another thread and have another cocktail...

Last edited by teutoned; 09-19-19 at 06:23 PM.
Old 09-19-19, 06:35 PM
tigat

Bikes: 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL (GRX Di2), 2020 Domane SLR 9 (very green), 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 55 Posts
I agree with the no bad choices school of thought.

3 pairs of Assos, love them. If I had judged the first pair from the first three, 20 mile rides, I would have called them a fail, but then rode them 180 miles through rain and heat and they disappeared.

Two pair of Primals from events-the pads seemed way too big and the compression was awkward, but riding them is a joy.

Recent vintage Bontragers: similar to the Primals in cut, even more compression, even more comfortable.

I used to pick bibs out of the drawer based upon the ride I was planning. The quality of high end bibs has freed me to go straight to fashion
Old 09-19-19, 06:57 PM
ljsense

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts
I've got Assos, Rapha, and whatever the team chooses year to year for the kit -- Pearl Izumi and Voler seem like the two recurring vendors. Way back, when I was starting out, I had a bunch of other stuff, really cheap stuff.

I've honestly never suffered from any of them. They all do the minimal amount of work to conceal my genitals and ******* from the world. I remember one crappy pair of bib shorts, the chamois was like tennis ball felt and only went up in front far enough to cover basically nothing. I guess because they make me laugh now, they're sort of my favorite. But if I saw them on someone else today I'd be unhappy.

For sure, it's amazing to feel the quality of material in a $300 pair of bibs. The silkiness, the interesting textures, whatever. But honestly, one bib to the next, I don't think about them at all once I'm on the bike.

But maybe that's because all my bibs for more than a decade have been really nice. I think that's the goal -- have bibs that neither you nor anyone else thinks about. Anytime I've thought about bibs it's only to reflect on something negative.

It seems like there are plenty of companies that have dialed in the formula to clear the bar.
Old 09-20-19, 08:05 PM
sarhog

Bikes: GR300, Grail, Live Wire, 5010

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 121 Posts
I have a pair of the RedWhite bibs, and they’re great. I’d call them high-end, though you can get a pair for $110 or so right now.
I just ordered a second set yesterday.
Old 09-28-19, 02:32 PM
OkFine

I ended up with a pair of Rapha Classic II bibs. They're objectively better than the Przewalskis, but I wasn't blown away by the experience*. I took them out on a hilly 32 miles this morning and found them luxuriously comfortable, but ended up feeling ache in the usual pressure points I always do albeit less severe.

*I believe I need to revisit my saddle position and/or saddle itself.
Old 09-28-19, 10:14 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
The best are the ones that work for you. For me, after many years of trial and error, it's Assos. You may be different.
It really is about trying brands until you find the one that works for you.
Old 09-28-19, 10:20 PM
Princess_Allez

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Just make sure you get one with a cuckoo penthouse and you're all good
Old 09-30-19, 07:55 PM
Velobuck
Velobuck

Bikes: Tarmac Pro- Record 11, Fondriest X Status Record 10, Domane SLR, F. Moser Hour Record

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
High end bibs

Totally agree that the premium brands are all awesome. When you start trying shop brands, like specialized and or Bontrager, I find anything less than the top end a bit off the mark.
I’m now riding a pair of Bontrager Velocis bibs. Great pad, lightweight, but the seams are starting to unravel after only a few months.
My favorite, even more than Rapha bibs are from Gore bike wear. I have four pair that are at least three years old. Perfect pad, awesome fit and compression and seams that must be made of steel, but you just don’t know they’re on!
I also have some Suguoi RS bibs that are three years old, and awesome with a small pocket on my lower back that fits two co2’s and some cash money.