Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Who are you? Where do you ride?

Notices
Southern California Southern California

Who are you? Where do you ride?

Old 03-01-20, 11:55 PM
Cykilist2

Bikes: a cannondale & a trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Ride around San Diego (all over), sometimes south of Nashville, on the Natchez Trace, a few times a year, and Palm Springs, land of the Country Clubs and gated communities.
Likes For Cykilist2:
Old 03-05-20, 04:29 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
Originally Posted by Cykilist2
Ride around San Diego (all over), sometimes south of Nashville, on the Natchez Trace, a few times a year, and Palm Springs, land of the Country Clubs and gated communities.
welcome! let me know if you need any socal route advice.

Last edited by diphthong; 03-05-20 at 04:41 AM.
Old 04-27-20, 11:47 AM
Tophy_Dee

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
Hello, Joe here. I ride around Ventura County on my Vintage Steel Road bikes. I don't ride fast by today's standards , but I keep a pretty good , steady pace. I live in Santa Paula and sometimes on the weekend I ride to Ventura and back or sometimes the Ojai trail.

A fellow Ventura County rider! Hi joe, I’m Chris. Currently live in Ventura on the west end. Perhaps we can do some rides together sometime? Let me know!
Old 04-27-20, 12:46 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 869 Post(s)
Liked 2,263 Times in 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by Tophy_Dee
A fellow Ventura County rider! Hi joe, I’m Chris. Currently live in Ventura on the west end. Perhaps we can do some rides together sometime? Let me know!
I would love to. With the distancing thing right now it is tricky. I still see groups of riders out like this past Sunday on Telegraph Rd. You can PM me and we could exchange info. I have a shop here in Ventura off Telephone Rd. where I keep some of my bikes . I do lunch rides out to Ventura Harbor every now and then. It is about 7 miles round trip . My home in Santa Paula is 15 miles each way which gives me a 30+ mile ride on the weekend. I have not been on any MUP's since the COVID19 situation, just staying on the main roads and going around by a margin on the rare occasion that I pass someone. Joe
Old 04-27-20, 01:35 PM
Tophy_Dee

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
I would love to. With the distancing thing right now it is tricky. I still see groups of riders out like this past Sunday on Telegraph Rd. You can PM me and we could exchange info. I have a shop here in Ventura off Telephone Rd. where I keep some of my bikes . I do lunch rides out to Ventura Harbor every now and then. It is about 7 miles round trip . My home in Santa Paula is 15 miles each way which gives me a 30+ mile ride on the weekend. I have not been on any MUP's since the COVID19 situation, just staying on the main roads and going around by a margin on the rare occasion that I pass someone. Joe
Great to hear! As soon as I reach my 10 posts, I will send you a private message. That’s really neat you have a bike shop in town. I’ll have to check it out sometime, safely of course. I completely understand that the COVID-19 situation makes it hard to meet up for a ride. As a precaution, I always wear a face covering when I go on my rides. I just moved to the west end of VTA in January, off the avenue. So I’ve just been sticking to the bike path in either direction, although, there are lots of walkers and runners on the beach side. My rides have been kept short. Would love to bump up a bit more but I would feel much more comfortable riding with a someone in case of emergency. Anyways, thanks for your reply, Joe. I’ll send you a message as soon as I hit my 10 posts. Take care and stay safe! - Chris
Old 05-07-20, 06:28 PM
Edward1066

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, 1990 Specialized Hardrock Sport/X-tracycle conversion, Surly Steamroller, 1995 Specialized Allez Sport, Early 90's VanTuyl TT bike, Flying Pigeon PA-06

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 38 Posts
Haven't had a car in 30 years, I ride all over the bay area. Farthest ride lately, Yuba city back before the Pandemic. And I ride a lot of different bikes. An XTracyle conversion, A Rivendell Appaloosa and a Surly Steamroller most often.

Steamroller

me

My dream bike

Carrying a friends crashed bike to the shop for repair
Likes For Edward1066:
Old 07-26-20, 04:08 PM
spank226

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 23 Posts
I'm Mike, I'm in Escondido, originally from Southern Maryland. I was a racer-wannabe going back to when I was in high school. Had some local success as a junior, became pack-fill as soon as I started racing in the senior rank (stories, lies and more lies fast forwarding to...) and I've pretty much been off the bike for 20 years. I suffered an injury while I was a starving adult college student with no health insurance, and that never really got fixed or sorted out and no doctor seems to want to listen to an old has-been talk about what he thinks is wrong with his knee/hip/back and they just want to say, "Well, you can't expect to do what you used to do. You're older now and, well, that's just how it is."

Anyway, I've hit a milestone birthday and am trying to get some activity back in my life to set a better example and so I'm not an invalid during my child's teenage years. I started with jogging and aggressive stretching and then was able to hop on a bike for a few rides a week near my house for 30-45 minutes and one 60-90min ride on a weekend. But I overdid it on one of those weekend rides and have had a setback. So now I'm just jogging and stretching again and yearning to hop back on a bike and pedal a bit.

I'm a little lost in the sea of what's changed from when I was last logging the miles. Fatter tires are faster, sloping top tubes on road bikes with tent-pole like seat posts are also the norm. Probably the hardest for me to come to grips with is that Mid-Calf SOCKS are now FASTER?!!!

My new long-term goal is to be able to do some group rides (When it is safe to do so) and perhaps work my way up to one of these organized "Eroica" rides I'm starting to catch wind of. I need to keep at bay any thoughts of ever being able to be competitive again, but I would like to have some achievable goals.

If anyone has a strong recommendation for an orthopedist and/or chiropractor and/or physical therapist (individuals or group), who's willing to listen and who doesn't automatically respond to "It hurts when I do this" with "Well, you need to stop doing that", I'd love to receive a private message from you!

(tried to post a pic, but I'm still too new here so had to delete it)

Last edited by spank226; 07-26-20 at 04:09 PM. Reason: edit text
Likes For spank226:
Old 12-24-20, 11:23 AM
jonathanf2

Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 1,035 Times in 439 Posts
Hi Everyone!

I just joined and NELA based! I've been biking ever since I was a kid, mainly mountain biking. I stopped riding bikes for several years, but with this pandemic and with gym closures, my love for bikes has been reignited! I recently picked up a budget SS gravel bike, mainly for fitness gains and the light off-road potential. I was never really into road bikes and with a family now I don't have the time to make journeys for dedicated biking trip, so I found gravel bikes better suited for my urban riding pursuits. The problem now, ever since I picked up my bike I've been looking at buying more bikes, watching Park Tool repair videos and also old bike restoration videos! I have an old 90s Haro mountain bike that I want to restore to better riding condition! Anyways, I guess I'm hooked!

BTW - I mainly ride around the Pasadena Rose Bowl loop and around State Park and through DTLA. Trying to come up with other routes that are reasonable with a single speed!
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 08-17-21, 11:56 PM
Braqli

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Hi all! A recent return to LA---where I mainly ride in Griffith Park, Mulholland Drive, and various canyons---has rekindled my biking life. Looking forward to seeing some of you on the road!
Likes For Braqli:
Old 08-18-21, 09:18 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
Originally Posted by Braqli
Hi all! A recent return to LA---where I mainly ride in Griffith Park, Mulholland Drive, and various canyons---has rekindled my biking life. Looking forward to seeing some of you on the road!
Thanks for checking in. Although I never get up into those areas there are plenty of members here that do.
Old 08-22-21, 02:26 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
Thanks for checking in. Although I never get up into those areas there are plenty of members here that do.
gotta keep it fresh. mix it up every so often. more to cycle than your neighborhood. plenty of places worth the planning/logistics/drive.
Old 09-15-21, 06:10 PM
mikeymichaels
Bonking Enthusiast

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 12 Posts
Hi, I just joined the forums today. I've been riding about 11 years now but I took about 2-3 years off somewhere in the middle. I ride mostly around Orange County and parts of Los Angeles County, basically whatever range I can manage from my house.
Likes For mikeymichaels:
Old 09-16-21, 08:23 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeymichaels
Hi, I just joined the forums today. I've been riding about 11 years now but I took about 2-3 years off somewhere in the middle. I ride mostly around Orange County and parts of Los Angeles County, basically whatever range I can manage from my house.

Welcome aboard!

Looking forward to ride reports.
Helps me to gain info and expand my riding horizons.
Old 06-15-22, 04:39 PM
igorgroks

Bikes: Masi Fixed Speciale.

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 46 Posts
I'm back. Bad crash had me off the bike for about a year. Most of that was at the insistence of my wife. She made me give my road bike to my nephew. About a month ago I snuck the only bike I have left, a fixed gear, out to the local river trail. (SLR.) Came out to her about a week ago and she accepts it with the caveat I stick to the river trails and no more being stupid on a descent. Did SART twice last week. 30 mi and 45 mi. Retired, been walking about 35 miles with hills per week for the last year but was Jonesing hard to get back on the bike. Bad feet keep me from running and even the walking was getting hard.

Vince Higgins (That's actually a pen name. In retirement I have become aspiring writer.) Sixty six and my immediate destination is seventy.
Likes For igorgroks:
Old 09-17-22, 04:27 PM
Random_bike_guy

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Silver lake

I’m Alex, and I enjoy riding by the LA river. A little uneasy at night though
Likes For Random_bike_guy:
Old 09-18-22, 11:45 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by Random_bike_guy
I’m Alex, and I enjoy riding by the LA river. A little uneasy at night though
wouldn't ride the various river trails such as sart, sgrt, lart, etc. solo at night if at all possible. the river trail bike paths are "off the grid" at night
and it's inviting potential assault/robbery without witnesses/nearby help. if it's a proper lighting thing and you ride frequently at night to commute,
for schedule, shopping or for exercise, proper lighting and staying visible is worth the investment.

Last edited by diphthong; 09-18-22 at 11:49 PM.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 09-19-22, 12:06 AM
TakingMyTime

Originally Posted by ooga-booga
wouldn't ride the various river trails such as sart, sgrt, lart, etc. solo at night if at all possible.
Ditto. For all the reasons above. It's way too much of a risk to be riding those trails at night.
Old 09-20-22, 01:54 PM
Random_bike_guy

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Very true, thank you for the sound advice. You be careful out there as well
Old 09-26-22, 09:05 AM
DanielGatli
Banned.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm Daniel and I'm in Chicago but I will be back in California until next week and I can't wait to ride the LA river.
Old 09-28-22, 06:37 PM
TakingMyTime

Originally Posted by DanielGatli
I'm Daniel and I'm in Chicago but I will be back in California until next week and I can't wait to ride the LA river.
If I was just here for a week that would not be on the list of places I'd pick to ride on. Heck, I live here permanently and I don't every ride on it.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 03-03-23, 05:42 PM
cormacf

Bikes: 2017 Lynskey Sportive Disc, 2021 Lynskey Pro29, 1977 Schwinn Super LeTour 12.2

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 29 Posts
Lived in LA (Sherman Oaks, then Silver Lake) in the early 200s, moved down to LBC, then had to leave the state for work (to Washington) for 6 years. Back in North San Diego County (O'side) for good, and my house is 100 yards fromt he San Luis Rey bike trail. Turning left gets me to the ocean in 4.8 miles, turning left for another 26 gets me to La Jolla (my usual Sunday out-and-back), but I JUST discovered that turning right gets me to Guajome Park, if I'm jonesing to rid my hardtail and don't want to drive.

The roadie (The Iron Warg):

The hardtail (The Grape Ape--set up full-rigid with a Bearclaw fork):

Likes For cormacf:
Old 03-30-23, 12:24 PM
madscycles

Bikes: Canyon road // Salsa mtb

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts
palm trees to pine trees

Hi from a newbie! I love riding from La Jolla to North County - Oceanside area and back, with so me nice coastal hills includes Torrey Pines and Scripps (that one is the real short & sweet biatch), and also love getting out to Mount Laguna and Mammoth. I enjoy a mix of road biking and mountain biking, both for fun and fitness not so much racing. See you out there!
Likes For madscycles:
Old 06-21-23, 03:12 PM
typ240

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Meeko from Rancho Cucamonga and there are three rides I like to do around my neighborhood!

For a short ride, I ride up and down day creek to the Etiwanda preserve trail and baseline. For a flat-ish ride, I ride westbound on baseline to Upland/San Dimas and back, if I’m feeling adventurous, I ride from RC to either GMR or Mills Rd to Baldy village.
Likes For typ240:
Old 07-10-23, 11:05 PM
HoyaBixa

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi I'm Isaac! Just started biking to get back in shape have been mostly riding the Rose Bowl Loop and then a little on the quieter streets of San Marino/S. Pasadena.

Any other bike trails out there that are decently protected?
Likes For HoyaBixa:
Old 07-10-23, 11:33 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by HoyaBixa
Hi I'm Isaac! Just started biking to get back in shape have been mostly riding the Rose Bowl Loop and then a little on the quieter streets of San Marino/S. Pasadena.

Any other bike trails out there that are decently protected?
near(ish) you, the la river trail (lart) and the san gabriel river trail (sgrt) are dedicated bike paths. various riders over the years have had "issues" with undesirables on both trails here and there/inconsistently.
personally, have never had any issues but have only ridden either a combined 35-40x in the last two decades. ride with someone else if you can. wouldn't ride either trail at night.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.