Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Anyone use battery operated gloves in cold/winter? Need opinions.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-06, 04:36 PM
Zero_Enigma

Bikes: MTB Peugoet Canyon (forgot the model), Nikishi? roadbike, MTB custom build,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As the topic says. I had my pre-trail of a winter test run a few nights ago. It was 0C (40F ? ) but with the windchill it was -6C. Now my body was ok. I was wearing a thick thermo t-shirt, a insulated long fleece, and a shell to cut the wind from chilling the body. I had jeans on so I was not really effected on the legs as they are pedaling and semi-warm. Now the hands, ah yes, the hands. Now the hands took a heck of a chill on the 23km ride. When I returned home they were numb and slightly stinging. I had probably 5% feeling in them before I got home. I was wearing insulated leather gloves but apparently it did not work. I wore those leather insulated gloves because they had thinsulate and was thin so I can operate the trigger fire shifting.

Now my question to all is, has anyone ever used those battery operated gloves? I'm talking about the ones that use one D cell battery (I plan on using a D cell adaptor and use 1-2xAA) per glove. Are they thin enough to work trigger fire shift systems? Has anyone used them before? I'd like to heard a pros and cons of them. Do they short out? Burn fingers? Sweat caused damage? Etc?

Any help would help out. The bike can hold up to the temp tho I'd have to have my LBS check or use a very lube or something so it'll work better in the cold then stick. I'm really starting to like the option of the batt. operated gloves to keep warm unless someone can offer a better system.

Zero_Enigma
Old 10-14-06, 07:41 PM
Overkll
Sandals and Eggbeaters...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is my advice and experience. Coldest ride so far -2C (about 28F), against a constant 40 KM/h (25 MPH) wind, I wore these gloves:

SEIRUS

Unbelievable, couldn't feel the wind at all. Hands were toasty and somewhat sweaty. Easy to grasp waterbottle, handlebars, zippers, etc. VERY happy with the purchase. Will probably be the only gloves I wear all winter. They are available at many different stores, I bought them at Gander Mountain (Hunting/fishing/etc.) for the same price as REI. Thought they'd be cheaper there, I guess not.
Old 10-14-06, 08:41 PM
AndrewP

Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
To keep hands and feet warm in the coldest weather, use warm hat, facemask and neck warmer. The circulation system puts top priority on keeping the brain at its operating temp. If it has trouble keeping the head warm it restricts flow to the hands and feet, which then get cold.
Old 10-14-06, 09:03 PM
robtown
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have these gloves. They are wonderfully bright. I can use the brifters but it's a little hard; I have to shift from on top of the hoods.
https://www.galleria-e.com/cgi-bin/co...product/050101

They do well into the mid 20's (doesn't get much colder here). I didn't notice much difference using the D cells.
Old 10-16-06, 04:10 AM
Zero_Enigma

Bikes: MTB Peugoet Canyon (forgot the model), Nikishi? roadbike, MTB custom build,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am considering ridingi n Canada's famous cold temps like -30C with windchill (approx 0F I think). Now that's COLD!

So I'm not too sure the setups mentioned would cover me for that temp.

Zero_Enigma
Old 10-16-06, 07:47 AM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have ridden with no problems in -32C WITHOUT windchill using fleece WindStopper gloves and expidition weight glove liners.
Old 10-16-06, 10:05 AM
newsace
Wannabe commuter & tourer

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This doesn't answer the OP's question, but I've had good luck down to about 30 F with my regular fingerless cycling gloves and a cheap ($2 at Big Lots a year or so back) pair of hunter orange fleece gloves over them. Toasty warm and very visible for signaling, plus very lightweight for hassle-free storage on the warmer ride home in the afternoon. Only problem so far is the cheap fleece "sheds" on facial hair stubble when doing a "snot wipe" (sorry).
Old 10-16-06, 10:09 AM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
I use Grandoe downhill ski gloves for both skiing and bike commuting. They work fine at -30 C and below.

I don't know why one would need the complexity of electrical heating, but chemical hand warmers work well with them, if you want even more heat.

Paul
Old 10-16-06, 10:57 AM
JohnBrooking
Commuter

Bikes: 2006 Giant Cypress EX (7-speed internal hub)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have never found gloves that work well for me in very cold weather. (Of course, I've never bought really expensive ones either.) Last winter I went with mittens (with glover liners if necessary) and and had a much better time.

I also tried home-made hand warmers by sewing together two squares of terricloth (from an old bathrobe) with some white rice in between them. Stick 'em in a microwave for 30 seconds before leaving. The rice holds the heat for 20-30 minutes.

Drawbacks: Works best with mittens for better positioning and convection, and are a fairly humid heat.

Advantages: Cheap and environmental!
Old 10-16-06, 11:24 AM
markf

Bikes: '93 Bridgestone MB-3, '88 Marinoni road bike, '00 Marinoni Piuma, '01 Riv A/R

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've had good luck with Pearl Izumi Lobster Mitts, very warm, I can shift and brake, and no batteries to mess with.

Keeping warm requires more than just covering the bits and pieces that feel cold. Your body will always try to protect the brain and vital organs by reducing blood flow to the extremities (ears, hands, feet). Keep your torso, head and neck insulated and your hands, toes and ears won't get as cold.

Cotton does not insulate, trade those jeans for fleece or wool pants or tights and you'll stay a lot warmer.
Old 10-16-06, 11:58 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Insulated mittens with 99 cent cotton jersey liners. Worked well at -4°F (-20°C.) air temperature, windchill considerations are irrelevant anyway when the skin is covered and insulated.

Note: no need to worry about handling water bottles at that temperature, the windchill does help them freeze up even faster.
Old 10-16-06, 12:04 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
For temps just below the freezing point, you're using the wrong gloves if your hands are freezing. If you have poor circulation in your hands and are susceptible to cold, consider getting lobster mitts instead of regular gloves.

In the winter, I carry chemical warmers in my pack so that if I have to change a tire when it's really cold, I'll be able to feel my hands (since you can't do this with mitts on). You might want to consider having some on hand -- if you have to change your tires when you can't feel your hands, they are nice. Having said that, you have the wrong gloves. Get better ones or some mitts and the problem will go away.
Old 10-16-06, 07:11 PM
stringbreaker
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I know the batterypowered socks work well for my wife when we ski. She could never keep her feet warm when we would ski so she bought a pair of these socks a few years ago and now her feet are nice and toasty and I don't have to hear her complain, so if you want the gloves get them and see if they work for you. Nothing to lose.
Old 10-16-06, 08:39 PM
CastIron
Sensible shoes.

Bikes: A few.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll second the lobster mitts. Can't begin to wear them until about 10*f or less.

I'll also second the statement about your body not releasing heat to the arms and legs until the core and head are just a bit too warm. I intentionally slightly overheat the core for that very reason.
Originally Posted by cedricbosch
Why am I in your signature.