Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How do you manage clothing?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-07, 11:33 AM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 624 Times in 365 Posts

Last edited by CrimsonEclipse; 04-18-18 at 04:05 AM.
Old 05-17-07, 11:40 AM
Flimflam
Raving looney

Bikes: 70s Leader Precision w/Shimano 600 (road), IRO Rob Roy (Fixed)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear shorts and t-shirt to ride in right now. Fresh (older) t-shirt everyday, dries on my monitor for the trip after work. Shorts I rotate every couple of days. I usually wear fresh underwear in for the ride, change when I get to work and depending on comfort, I'll keep them on for the ride home or swap to the morning ride pair. Socks are the same, sometimes I don't feel a change is needed.

I try to rotate my work clothes, in my pack I carry spare underwear and socks, and a shirt/top for the office - pants, spare socks, spare underwear and backup sweater I keep in a drawer in my desk. Pants I'll rotate out every couple of days, depending on use/state.

I keep a bar towel on one of my screens to pad-dry myself down if I need it, I've not yet gone with the baby wipes solution - my ride is short enough that a shower pre-ride and deodorant works well for me.
Old 05-17-07, 11:49 AM
Crack Monkey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Same cycling clothes to/from, changed daily. If I start getting really sweaty/stinky in August, I'll stockpile some at the office for the ride home.

Right now, cycling stuff lives in a file drawer in my cube. As long as I don't pile it up in a ball, it dries by the ride home.

Edit - I also wear proper cycling clothes - wicks moisture, dries fast, etc. No cotton.
Old 05-17-07, 12:09 PM
gholt

Bikes: 2004 Giant OCR, 2002 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2008 Trek 6500 Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a few sets at work as they have lockers. I ride in the same jersey and shorts to and from work. I hang them up to dry and when I get home I put them in the washer. Every week or two I replace the clothes in the locker.
Old 05-17-07, 12:27 PM
MyPC8MyBrain
Shut Up and Ride

Bikes: Cannondale t-700 [commuter], Cannondale MT-800 [Tandem so the Lil Misses can keep up], GT I drive Team [My tricked out Racer MTB]

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We have a locker room here, so that makes it fairly easy. But, stuff still gets hauled back and forth.

Wear MTB shorts and Tshrit to ride most days. Work clothes rides in the pack or panniers depending on what the current setup is.[Roll clothes so they dont wrinkle] I leave work shoes at work, that way I'm not hauling shoes back and forth every day. Riding clothes hang in locker to dry and de-stinkify.

Monday Haul Tan Slacks and shirt-Leave pants in locker for Tuesday.
Tuesday Haul Shirt in and recycle pants, haul pants and shrit home.
Wednesday Haul Blue slacks and shirt, leave blue pants in locker for Thursday.
Thursday Haul Blue shirt and recycle pants. Haul pants and shrit home.
Friday... whatever... work naked if necessary

We have a laundry/dry cleaner that picks up here at the office weekly. If i ever get smart enough I can just rotate two weeks of work clothes and never have to haul. I gotta look into that.
Old 05-17-07, 12:30 PM
GCRyder

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You're probably getting the consensus by now - I use the same cycling clothes to and from the office. When I get to work, I spray them with Febreze, and hang them behind the door. The Febreze keeps bacteria from growing, which is what actually causes sweaty clothes to small bad. Once they've been sprayed, it's actually like having a hidden air freshener in the office.

At the end of the day, I put the same clothes on to ride home. When I get there, they go directly into the washer. My layout at home is convenient, because the washer and dryer are actually in the same room with a shower. So I toss the sweaty clothes into the washer as I step into the shower. I usually don't even do the "Honey, I'm home" thing until I've finished the shower. My wife seems to appreciate that.
Old 05-17-07, 12:45 PM
MrCjolsen

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check, '85 Giant road bike (unrecogizable fixed-gear conversion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I start the day with clean bike clothes. If they stink on the way home I'm not worried since people generally don't sniff me when I'm riding my bike.

I do hang them to dry if they're sweaty. I have a couple of magnets under my desk, and I use those to hang my bike shorts.

For the most part, I generally don't worry about odors since I always have at least a few students who smell far worse than I do on any given day. If I stink, I just blame them.
Old 05-17-07, 01:58 PM
Buglady

Bikes: 2018 Ghost Square Trekking B2.8 e-bike; 2015 MEC Cote gravel/touring bike; 1985 Boyes-Rosser tourer, now outfitted as Winter Trundle-bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Febreze! Brilliant idea... thanks!
Old 05-17-07, 01:59 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Have commuted for years. The best situation was having a bike locker at work. I put everything in the bike locker... have draped clothing across the bike and find they dry fine by the time I go home.

I wear cotton... I like it except it does get heavy from sweat. Far far cheaper than lycra.

In other work situations, I have either left my bike on a rack (don't like that) or a utility room or in my office. In all cases I draped the clothing across the bike and the clothing dries out fine and I wear it home. I have several sets of shorts/shirts... so I wash that days "kit" when I get home and wear a new "kit" the next day.

The bike makes a fine drying rack, as long as it is not out somewhere where people can mess with it.
Old 05-17-07, 02:01 PM
deputyjones
Striving for Fredness

Bikes: Old Giant Rincon

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a fairly secure locker room so I just hang my stuff up in it and on the open door and it is usually dry by the time my shift is over.
Old 05-17-07, 02:05 PM
acroy

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
I have to have a uniform for work, no problem. Ride with cycling gear, change at work.

So what do you do with the cycling gear in the mean time?
Do you have 2 pair of cycling clothing? One for going to work one for going home.
Hand them up to dry (hoping they don't get stinky)

CE
Do you have a compressor or boiler room that gets hot? if my clothes are damp i hang em in there... be sure to get permission. I'm the plant manager so I do what I please

cheers
Old 05-17-07, 02:08 PM
Bolo Grubb

Bikes: 1984 Trek 720 with a Nexus hub, 2016 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts
I shower in the morning before I leave the house. Wear a cycling kit in, carry my clothes in a pack (I wear shorts and t-shirt at my job). wash up in the restroom using the sink and some baby wipes. Hang my cycling kit on a hanger to dry and wear the same cycling kit home that night.

I wear a fresh clean kit every day. 12 miles one way in Arizona, low humidity so everything drys real fast. AC also makes the air dry inside, so everything dry fast as long as it is hung up.
Old 05-17-07, 04:57 PM
hairlessbill
Daily Rider

Bikes: 89 Bridgestone MB-3, 93 Bridgestone RB-1,93 Bridgestone MB-1, 95 Klein Fervor, 02 BikeE AT, 06 Surly Cross-check, 8? Schwinn Frontier

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride in with a clean load of clothes about twice a month (load up the bike with panniers) but I mostly bring t-shirts and a few boxers to change into for the day.

I hang my bike shorts up to dry for the ride home or leave them on depending on how clean I am when I get here (shower before or after) . Sometimes I don't bother changing back into the bike shorts and end up riding home with 'normal' clothes. Socks get reused for the ride home unless it's summer then spd sandals allow sockless operation. Merino wool tops work real well as tops; dry fast, stink less, need less laundering, good for wide range of temps, look like street clothes.

I used to use up two pairs of shorts when I lived in a hot and humid environment but it was such a hassle having to wash 10 pairs every week that I gave in and just hung them up to dry instead.
1993BstoneRB1
2007IROSSBFGS
1986PanasonicDX4000
2014E-JOE
Old 05-17-07, 10:10 PM
ottawa_adam

Bikes: kona dew hybrid, MEC shadowlands

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hairlessbill
I ride in with a clean load of clothes about twice a month (load up the bike with panniers) but I mostly bring t-shirts and a few boxers to change into for the day.

I hang my bike shorts up to dry for the ride home or leave them on depending on how clean I am when I get here (shower before or after) . Sometimes I don't bother changing back into the bike shorts and end up riding home with 'normal' clothes. Socks get reused for the ride home unless it's summer then spd sandals allow sockless operation. Merino wool tops work real well as tops; dry fast, stink less, need less laundering, good for wide range of temps, look like street clothes.

I used to use up two pairs of shorts when I lived in a hot and humid environment but it was such a hassle having to wash 10 pairs every week that I gave in and just hung them up to dry instead.
+1 on the merino wool tops. I have long- and short-sleeved merino shirts that I wear year-round. I also have merino socks that work equally as well. Of course, merino requires a tad bit more maintenance. I tend to wash it by hand.
Old 05-18-07, 07:32 AM
genel

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced 0, Rivendell- Sam Hillborne, Montague folding bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I drive one day a week and switch out 4 days of office attire. I keep a spare tie and jacket at the office for emergencies. Ride to work in cycling gear. A quick rub down with some wipes and I'm good to go.

"Baby Wipes" the enabling technology for bike commuting.
Old 05-18-07, 08:00 AM
chevy42083
steel lover

Bikes: Bianchi Alloro, Miyata 710, Fuji Espree Fixie convert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear a cycling jersey (gonna get some generic shirts made of the same material at walmart soon) and board shorts to work, carried in a Messenger bag. Change, use same socks, and possibly underwear if it's cool enough out. Stash jersey and shorts in messenger bag, or hang them on the bike (requires a walk down the alley to the wear i lock it up in). Switch back to same clothes for the ride home (don't care if they stink... I'm going straight to the shower anyways). Fresh clothes each day.
Old 05-18-07, 09:21 AM
KrautFed
cars are fun

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've gotten my management down pretty good I think. My usual commuting attire consists of: cycling shorts underneath camo fatigues/BDUs, cycling socks w/ thin shoes, and some type of cheapo athletic shirt (read at very bottom).

Things I've installed or brought to work:

- coat rack near my cube
- cheapo glue to the wall clothes hangar on the tile in the bathrooms (stalls have none)
- cleaned out a storage compartment in my cube with:
--- deoderant
--- toothbrush & toothpaste & mouthwash
--- shaving cream & razor
--- hair gel/wax & comb
--- towel & washcloth & hand towel
--- huge bottle of Febreeze

I go to the public bathroom (non-employee) that is single occupancy which has plenty of space to sprawl my crap out and I can lock the door. I strip down and bird bath. After getting my work clothes on, I carry my commuting clothes to my cube where I get out the Febreeze. I am not bashful at ALL with the Febreeze and everything gets a good spray down. I hang my backpack up on the coat rack along with any towel/washcloth I used. My pants, shirt, shoes, and socks go into that compartment in my cube after a dousing of Febreeze. I've found that Febreeze works best when it can breath, so before storing away, I take the clothing and do a "Indian sending smoke signals" type thing with them. If anything is wet or been rinsed, I try to "hide" it somewhere on the coat rack behind my backpack or elsewhere. It wont stink but people see clothing that you rode in and automatically "smell sweat" in their mind.

I love nylon, and here is another reason why. When I get home, I only take off my fatigues (as they are cotton) & shoes and I get in the shower with my clothes on. While in the shower, I take the shower gel and wash the outside of the clothes and then take the clothes off (even socks) and rinse them thoroughly. I have those cheapo hook hangars in my shower too, so I will hang up everything in my shower. I wash myself and rinse. When done I turn the shower off and ring out the nylon clothing and rehang them on the hooks. No-one else uses my shower so I can leave the stuff in there, and the attire is waiting for me the following morning. They are dry by morn and I simply set them outside the shower when I get back in it for my morning shower.

Originally Posted by chevy42083
(gonna get some generic shirts made of the same material at walmart soon)
I wear "boys basketball" type mesh shirts from Wal-Mart (not the sports wicking stuff). The boys size are slim on me like a cycling jersey, sleeveless, 100% nylon mesh, and best of all they are bright, I have 1 red and 1 orange, that also have a white stripe on the rib cage area. They are the PERFECT commuting shirt. I can rinse and ring out in a sink after riding and they'll be dry after hanging up for 8 hours.
Old 05-18-07, 09:44 AM
CaptainTandem
Bike Commuter

Bikes: Tandem; MTB; Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Panniers.
Old 05-18-07, 10:47 PM
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I hide my clothes in the boiler room next to the exhaust, which means I ride home every night in the winter smelling like diesel but also toasty warm and dry.
Old 05-19-07, 06:07 AM
ax0n
Trans-Urban Velocommando

Bikes: 06 Trek 1200 - 98 DB Outlook - 99 DB Sorrento

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I Leave a few pairs of pants, and my dress shoes at work, locked up in a filing cabinet. I keep an emergency pair of undies and socks in there as well, but don't use them often.

I take a fresh, clean shirt and pair of socks with me daily.

I change clothes in the bathroom after taking a bird bath if needed, and I rotate through different pairs of pants. You can wear a pair of pants two or three times if it's just an 8 hour day at the office.

The sweaty cycling shorts and socks get set on top of my computer monitor. It gets warm, they get dry. The shirt gets stuffed into my panniers that I hang over the cube wall. My cycling shoes just sit under my desk next to my front wheel, unless they got really wet. Then, once my shorts and socks are dry, I put the shoes on top of my monitor upside down too.

When they day is over, my shirt and dress socks go in the panniers, my dress slacks get nicely folded and put away, and my cycling clothes go back on.
Old 05-19-07, 08:55 AM
newsace
Wannabe commuter & tourer

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've not yet gotten myself into the regular commuting routine, but for the days I do, I'm lucky to have a private office and a locker room with lockers and shower (the benefits of working at a college). I leave work clothes in the office and underwear/towel/deodorant/etc. in the locker. Park my bike in my office all day with jersey/shorts/bandana/arm warmers/socks/etc. either draped over the bike or hanging behind the door. All are dry by the end of the day, and I wear the same kit home as on the ride in.