Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

My 3 speed questions never end!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-09, 11:05 AM
triplebutted

Bikes: Lemond, Gios, Fuji, Trek, too many to write

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I love those 3 speed wheels you guys posted. I think I'll probably, this summer, be building a set with the Sun rims and the spokes from Taiwan.

Anyway, my 3 speed project is coming along nicely.

Dos mas questions

1. The rear fender bridge. Does it go underneath the calipers?

2. My front hub doesn't seem to have cone locknut. Do I need these pieces and will these pieces thread onto the front hub? If so, any other sources for that locknut? (Home Depot? but not sure if threading will work). The left one on the photo: (this is from Sheldown Brown site fro the REAR hub)

If I do need the locknut above, I'm thinking I probably need the washer as well?

Old 01-30-09, 11:21 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3804 Post(s)
Liked 6,643 Times in 2,602 Posts
1. Fender bridge usually does not go under the caliper, but it can (assuming it slides along the fender and isn't fixed in place). Sometimes I like to hide it under the caliper if the bridge isn't complementary to the fender.

2. Old-school front Raleigh hubs don't have lock washers. The non-drive side is the side with the flats for a cone wrench, and the drive side is just round. You can adjust the cones with the wheel on the bike, loosening and tightening the axle nut as needed. It usually stays in place, too!

Neal
Old 01-30-09, 11:35 AM
triplebutted

Bikes: Lemond, Gios, Fuji, Trek, too many to write

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by nlerner
2. Old-school front Raleigh hubs don't have lock washers. The non-drive side is the side with the flats for a cone wrench, and the drive side is just round. You can adjust the cones with the wheel on the bike, loosening and tightening the axle nut as needed. It usually stays in place, too!

Neal

Thanks Neal. That's exactly how I was adjusting them! It just looked out of place without a locknut.