Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

New Clear Thunderbolt

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

New Clear Thunderbolt

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-14, 12:04 PM
gregjones

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
New Clear Thunderbolt

Serfas came out with a clear cover for the Thunderbolt. I read that it increased the side visiability so I ordered 2. It's a "be seen" cheapo $40 taillight and there are brighter, better, cheaper, easier to use, from Germany, and all around nice taillights that are far superior. So what....that's not what this thread is about.

I wanted to see for my self what it looked like. I but the K2 on a stand in the middle of the road and took some pictures. I know that I did it wrong and you could probably do better. I don't care.

I used a flash, although I know that is not what everyone would do. Don't care.

What surprised me is the angles that the rear Conti Reflex and the stripe on the frame bag work at. I had always thought that a reflective materials would only shine directly back to the source. I guess that's why many of them are "gritty", the lights reflect off the sides of the grit. Although I am sure that I am the only person that has never thought of that until I saw these pictures.

Oh yeah, they show the ability to see the Thunderbolt when not seen from directly behind the bike.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Thunderbolt Rear 001.jpg (101.3 KB, 24 views)
Thunderbolt Rear 003.jpg (90.9 KB, 24 views)
Thunderbolt Rear 005.jpg (98.3 KB, 16 views)
Thunderbolt Rear 006.jpg (103.9 KB, 16 views)
Old 11-13-14, 12:24 PM
WestMass

Bikes: 2020 Kona Rove ST, 2020 Kona Woo, 2013 Cannondale Caad 10 Rival, 2020 All-City Super Professional, 2023 Kona Honzo, 1991 Bridgestone CB-1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts
I think the thunderbolt is an excellent tail light. I use it on my road bike and mountain bike. My commuter has a dynamo tail light.
Old 11-16-14, 12:44 AM
theghostrider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been using the Thunderbolt and the usl-tl60 on my rides and am happy with both. I like the idea of a clear one and may have to look into one.

I would suspect that the reflection your seeing is more likely from the flash than the thunderbolt.