Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

NYS Route Route 7 to Albany

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-23, 11:14 AM
bktourer1

Bikes: Diamondback "parkway" Spec. "expedition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts

Looking for info on road conditions from Binghamton NY to Albany via NYS Route 7.
Need info. ref lodging/food/bike shops.
If you have cues these would also be appreciated
Thanks
Old 09-30-23, 11:46 AM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Route 7 does not show up on the NY State bicycle routes system. NYS Bike Routes

My wife and I rode through NY, passing through Albany. Our route mostly followed Highway 20. It was also a long time ago, and I would not be much help. I was just curious.
Old 09-30-23, 11:59 AM
bktourer1

Bikes: Diamondback "parkway" Spec. "expedition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
NYS 7 is not on the NYS system. I planned to hook into Rt. 20 at Duanesburg and then connect to rail trail to Albany.
NYS Bike Routes page is pretty useless for information and they no longer have printed maps
Old 09-30-23, 12:35 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 178 Posts
I don't have an answer to your question, but here are a few ways I look for these answers:

1. Go to crazyguyonabike.com and use the search bar. For example I may put some of the towns with somewhat unique names, e g. Oneonta, Cobbleskill or largest towns, Binghamton. While I have to sort out irrelevant entries, I am surprised at how often someone has made a similar route so I read their journals.

2. I look for state bike maps. In this case not part of the state bike system so not applicable here.

3. Look at Strava Heat maps. I find these more at smaller scale (e.g. getting in/out of Albany) but may also give ideas along the way where you might want to be on NYS 7 and where to avoid it.

4. In areas, particularly w/o much heat map, I'll spot check areas with Google Street view looking at shoulders, etc.

5. Most of the accomodations/bike shops I find first with search on Google Maps, look at reviews, etc. For example a search with either "camping" or "motel" gives me clues.

6. Try some sample smaller sections with RideWithGPS to look at how hilly areas might be.

7. Post to places like bikeforums.net to see if others have ridden
Likes For mev:
Old 09-30-23, 05:09 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,581 Times in 7,337 Posts
You can pick intermediate towns along the considered route and search Google Maps for something like “Campgrounds/motels/grocery stores/restaurants near [name of town]”. Pan out if nothing you are looking for shows up. Street View will give you an idea of traffic, shoulders, etc.