Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Novara Verita

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Novara Verita

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-11, 06:44 AM
dannwilliams
Its only pain

Bikes: '18 Salsa Marrakesh, '14 Salsa Colossal, '89 GT Timberline

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Novara Verita

I saw this bike as the one Adventure Cyclist is giving away in their annual membership renewal drive drawing. I looked it up and it looks like it could be a do it all bike, with the SRAM Apex group and all the things needed to tour or commute. Wondering what the thoughts out here are on this bike. Chime in...
Old 03-20-11, 09:56 AM
balindamood
Wrench Savant

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 38 Posts
I think this is what they are pushing since the demise of the Randondee. I saw the add as well and am skeptical, but I will at least go to REI and see if they have one about to scrutinize personally.
Old 03-20-11, 10:22 AM
kayakdiver
ah.... sure.

Bikes: Specialized.... schwinn..... enough to fill my needs..

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Seen it in person. Looks very nice. I would throw an X7 or X9 crank with 26/39 gearing and call it good to go. Not sure how long the chainstays are though. Wish I had measured them while I was looking at it.
Old 03-20-11, 11:29 AM
divtag

Bikes: '09 Salsa El Mariachi, '08 Surly Cross Check, '06 Specialized Rockhopper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Randonee is still due out later this Spring. As for the Verita, not enough room for fat tires for my taste. I was excited when I first saw it on the REI site a couple of months ago. I was hoping it could run 38s like the new Casseroll. If it could, I'd own one right now with my 20% and dividend. I e-mailed REI and got this response:

"There are a couple of variables that need to be considered when fitting wider tires and fenders to a bike, such as the actual tire body width, the type of fenders used, and the frame clearances.

Bicycle tire manufacturers have somewhat different ways to measure tire width; some companies measure the width including where the tread wraps around the side of the tire and others measure just the part that would come in contact with the road. Very few companies indicate what width rim is used when coming up with their tire profile measurements, and this can change the overall width of the tire in use. These measurements may vary by only a few millimeters, but a small difference can make the tire fit well or cause it to rub on the inside of the fender.

The other issue would be the type of fenders that are chosen for the bike, as some fit between the fork crown and the tire and other styles mount behind the fork or are low profile and do not need nearly as much clearance.

The stock Vittoria Randonneur tires on the Verita are 28mm. wide, you could fit it with a Randonneur in a size 32 with a low profile fender (32 is the widest tire for this type of fender)."
As for chainstays, you can see the geometry on the REI site. Click on size chart. No chainstay length listed, but you could extrapolate based on wheelbase. I saw the bike at REI yesterday. It sure is sharp looking and fairly light. If only it had room for fatter tires.
Old 03-22-11, 09:23 PM
Aloyzius
Thawing Member

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Soma ES, Vintage Bob Jackson Audax, Raleigh Frankenbike., Bianchi Eros, Bianchi Alloro.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What a drag. I have my twenty percent off coupon, and they have no Randonees. The Verita is a cool bike, for sure, but I want a triple crank, canti's, and wider tires for my girlfriend, just like I've got on my lht.
Old 03-22-11, 09:35 PM
balindamood
Wrench Savant

Ok. Looked at and road a Verita today to satisfy my own curiousity. I think I would go another direction for heavy touring for several reasons. First, brifters. Don't like them for touring. Second, a compact double rather than a proper triple. I may not need a gear that is so low, walking up a hill is faster, but it makes me feel better to have one. Third, fender clearence for larger tires and fenders does not seem to be there. I think this bike would be REALLY good for commuting and credit card touring, but I think it may be a dog for heavy loads. I did not bring a full set of panniers filled with bricks to test it out though.

I do like the new Safari MUCH better. Steel, and it looks like they have thought things through a bit more on the frame mounting points, and they dumped the disk brakes. Almost makes me want to buy one...almost.

Also of note, the forks/crowns on the Veritas look identical to Raleigh's Record Ace/others. I wonder if they are made int he same factory. Also, both the Veritas and the Safari have some sort of disk-brake-cable housing mount points brazed to the inside of the right fork leg. No one can tell me why. It is too big for a generator/speedometer mount. It is on the wrong side for a disk brake (and there are no disk mounts anyway).
Old 03-23-11, 09:38 AM
dannwilliams
Its only pain

Bikes: '18 Salsa Marrakesh, '14 Salsa Colossal, '89 GT Timberline

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by balindamood
Also, both the Veritas and the Safari have some sort of disk-brake-cable housing mount points brazed to the inside of the right fork leg. No one can tell me why. It is too big for a generator/speedometer mount. It is on the wrong side for a disk brake (and there are no disk mounts anyway).
I think that is for use of a dyna hub.
Old 03-24-11, 11:29 AM
balindamood
Wrench Savant

I think that is for use of a dyna hub.
That is what I figured, but the cradle for the wire is sized for cable housing. It seems to me it may look worse than nothing at all.
Old 10-21-23, 02:56 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 411 Posts
If possible, I'd like to continue this discussion. There's a Verita available to me, but I was wondering if anyone has set this bike up with 32mm tires and fenders, or if ~28-30mm is the maximum clearance.

And, if they so desire, I wouldn't mind a long term review of the bike if someone here has ridden theirs for a while now

Thanks!
Old 10-21-23, 03:18 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 744 Posts
Originally Posted by Piff
If possible, I'd like to continue this discussion. There's a Verita available to me, but I was wondering if anyone has set this bike up with 32mm tires and fenders, or if ~28-30mm is the maximum clearance.

And, if they so desire, I wouldn't mind a long term review of the bike if someone here has ridden theirs for a while now

Thanks!
Personally, I would start a new thread instead of resurrecting a zombie thread. You will get more replies with a thread title that better describes your questions.
Likes For phughes:
Old 10-21-23, 03:59 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 411 Posts
You're probably right regarding getting a direct answer to my question, but I think it's nice to keep all the info together if possible.
Likes For Piff: