Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Getting one's bike thru Paris

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-23, 11:03 AM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts

Of course from Charles De Gaulle Airport. Next Spring my group will be doing a tour of Burgundy. That requires us to depart thru Gare de Lyon train station. . Of the trains serving Paris only the RER lines carry bikes, but only in non commuting hours. The problem. The RER lines don't necessarily go to your designated train station. Your not at the train station you need and can't use the subway to get to where you need be. Busses and subways do not have space for bikes. Are there other transit systems that carry bikes.?
. I do not relish riding the streets of Paris to get to the Gare de Lyon carrying a heavy back pack. Thanks

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 10-27-23, 01:40 PM
axolotl

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
Didn't we resolve this previously?

RER lines go to all of Paris' SNCF train stations including the Gare de Lyon. You can take RER line B from CDG airport and transfer at Chatelet to lines A or D, both of which have stops at Gare de Lyon.

https://www.ratp.fr/en/services-aux-...rvices/cycling

"On metro line M1, however, bicycles may be transported on Sundays and bank holidays before 4:30 p.m. Please ask the station agent to open the service gate.

On the RER, you may transport your bicycle only during the following hours:
- All day long on Saturdays, Sundays and bank holidays
- Before 6:30 a.m., between 9 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., and after 7 p.m. on all other days.

You must store your bike in one of the compartments displaying the following bicycle indicator:

Alternatively, you can look for a taxi van at the airport to take you to the Gare de Lyon. I've seen a few.

FWIW, Paris has added lots of bike paths. They are pretty crowded during rushhour, however. Nevertheless, I biked from my lodging in central Paris to the Gare d'Austerlitz (and back upon my return) last year with panniers, during rushhour. A few years earlier, a friend & I biked from the Gare St. Lazare to Gare de Lyon with our loaded bikes. I once took my loaded bike on the RER B line coming from the southern suburbs of Paris.
Old 10-27-23, 05:00 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
I've flown with bike to CDG several times. I much prefer to assemble my bike(s) in the terminal and ride to Paris proper. Unless you travel light with a folding bike, I would advise against taking the RER. Reaching the station at CDG will be a challenge. Getting out once in Paris (Gare du Nord/Chatelet/etc.) a nightmare.

Paris is quite bike friendly. Plenty of paths. Plenty of commuters.
Old 10-27-23, 05:16 PM
BobG

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 82 Posts
I agree with gauvins. It's a fairly pleasant bike ride from CDG to Paris on the Canal de l'Ourcq bike path as he has mapped. I've ridden it twice between Gare d'Austerlitz, Gare de Lyon and CDG. It's only 27K to central Paris from Tremblay. Your biggest challenge would be finding your way through the immediate airport exit mayhem.

Tremblay-en-France > Paris

previous posts with more maps and photos ...

https://www.bikeforums.net/22653516-post16.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/21591970-post15.html

Full disclosure ...My trips were 35-40 years ago.

Last edited by BobG; 11-01-23 at 03:50 AM.
Old 10-27-23, 07:18 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts
Only did it once and its been too many years but I found Paris to be a joy to ride around. There was a lot of other cyclists and a general respect for riders, at least better than anywhere I'd ridden in the US. I'd just ride from CDG, for me it was riding to CDG for the flight home.
Old 10-30-23, 07:06 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
gauvins is there a preferred direction to bike Burgundy or French Eurovelo 3 south of Paris? Is wind direction ever an issue?
Old 10-30-23, 08:42 AM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
WRT wind, I don't remember it having been an issue, ever. Wind can be bad along the Atlantic seaboard and sometimes on the Rhône, south of Lyon (Mistral is a near-gale-force northerly) but usually not an issue.
WRT routes, there are plenty of small roads. cycle.travel and bRouter are useful resources to plot a route.
Likes For gauvins: