Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Google Maps Is Not Necessarily Your Friend

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Google Maps Is Not Necessarily Your Friend

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-23, 08:39 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
BTW, I am still amazed when I am using google driving directions and I get notified of some road conditions that occurred in the last hour(s). Things like vehicles on the shoulder, police radar, and so on are what I mean. Google will ask "Was the radar still in place as you went by, Y or N" Beats the five year of plaper maps I used to carry.
Old 09-27-23, 08:43 AM
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
There were exceptions like the wonderful paper Odot bike map for the oregon coast.
No doubt about it - Oregon's cycling maps were the best.
And provided a wealth of info for cyclists - even back in the ancient 80s.
I remember talking with other cyclists - wishing all the state had something similar.
Just the right amount of info - easily accessible.

Some app developers might learn from this.
I don't need to do stock trades on the Tokyo exchange while I am touring.
Nor do I care to know what the Kardashians are doing.
Old 09-27-23, 09:11 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by jamawani
It's not that there are not many excellent features with Google Maps - it's the degree of dependence. I suspect that people back in the days of paper maps were much more cautious and observant.
I suspect the percentage of people using digital maps is much higher than the percentage that where using paper maps.

There were lots of people who were not able to use paper maps but can use the digital maps. And many people using paper maps never replaced them (they just kept using old maps).

Given the scale of (most) paper maps. they didn't include the small roads that might be what people have the most trouble with.

We also have no good information about how often paper maps led people astray.

And, against the huge numbers of people using digital maps. the reports of failures very rare.

Originally Posted by jamawani
No doubt about it - Oregon's cycling maps were the best. And provided a wealth of info for cyclists - even back in the ancient 80s. I remember talking with other cyclists - wishing all the state had something similar. Just the right amount of info - easily accessible.
It would be too expensive to do.

Last edited by njkayaker; 09-27-23 at 09:21 AM.
Old 09-27-23, 09:17 AM
njkayaker

Personally I think folks who complain about how terrible google maps are should consider what it was like before they existed.
The number of issues people have with Google maps is rare. And the number of people using it is huge.
Old 09-27-23, 09:27 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
Given the scale of (most) paper maps. they didn't include the small roads that might be what people have the most trouble with.
Yeah, I would wager that the vast majprity of pre digital map paper map users used only state maps. Fa few used county maps, but they were the minority.

We also have no good information about how often paper maps led people astray.
True, but it certainly did happen. I remember my parents winding up on a road that gradually became a cow path back in the late 50s. I personally have had paper maps mislead me with incorrect or old data plenty of times. Certainly more times than digital maps have.
Old 09-27-23, 09:54 AM
njkayaker

True, but it certainly did happen. I remember my parents winding up on a road that gradually became a cow path back in the late 50s. I personally have had paper maps mislead me with incorrect or old data plenty of times. Certainly more times than digital maps have.
Of course, it happened! The issue is that people never heard about it. People hear about issues with digital maps and might get the impression that they are common (when they are rather rare).
Old 10-05-23, 09:14 PM
irc

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Pacer, Spa Steel Tourer, Kona Kula

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 27 Posts
I passed this delivery van. I spoke to the driver. His defence was that his satnav said this footpath was a road.