Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

High Blood Pressure meds and Bike Riding

Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-20, 12:43 AM
5 mph

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 50 Posts

For a while this summer. I rode my bike so much that I dropped a bit of weight and my blood pressure went really down. Boy I felt great.
So my doctor lowered my blood pressure medication dosage. Maybe it was my imagination, I was a lot more energetic and napping less.

Well its winter now, the weight came back . I still ride my bike daily , as long and as hard as I did in the summer. but my blood pressure
rose again, and I'm back on my normal dosage and after dinner I can't do much except watch TV with the family..
Some people say this "_______tril" or ARB's cause fatigue.
Is this my imagination?
Or is it just the Winter Blahs.
I still move my bike at a good clip and I train very hard...
Old 12-15-20, 02:00 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Yup, BP meds do that to me too. I take them only occasionally for migraines and they always knock me out for a day or two -- I feel sluggish. Supposedly we get accustomed to them with regular use but my blood pressure is okay so I don't take BP meds every day. Just a quirk of some migraines that they respond to certain BP meds.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 12-15-20, 04:56 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Several years ago my Doc put me on Coreg which is a beta blocker. It was horrible. I couldn't spin the pedals at all. I'd wake up at 6 AM and have to go to sleep at noon. I started getting depressed and I NEVER get depressed. As I discovered, a beta blocker is like a governor on your heart. It just will not allow your heart to beat past a certain point. A friend who is a Naturopathic Physician suggested I try 100% beet juice. I did and it helped a lot. I have also noticed that severely limiting coffee helps. FWIW there is a Yoga / Navy Seal breathing exercise that will lower BP.
Old 12-15-20, 08:41 AM
Ed Wiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 79 Posts
Need to get a bike trainer and get off the couch and back on the bike. Ride everyday I did that an have lost weight and feel better. Being able to ride indoors gives you no excuse. I get up every morning at 6:15 am and get on my bike. I use three apps Sufferfest for a good workout, Rouvy for outdoor riding and Zwift fir meetups with bike club members.
Old 12-15-20, 08:43 AM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
I think the beta blockers could be causing that. They have different ones and I had to get off the one I was on. I’m on just lisinopril now and I can’t remember the beta blocker I was on , but I told the doctor you got to come up with something different and he did. Like I said I’m only on the lisinopril now and feel much better. Good luck.
Old 12-15-20, 09:48 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8275 Post(s)
Liked 9,031 Times in 4,471 Posts
Originally Posted by Ed Wiser
Need to get a bike trainer and get off the couch and back on the bike. Ride everyday I did that an have lost weight and feel better. Being able to ride indoors gives you no excuse. I get up every morning at 6:15 am and get on my bike. I use three apps Sufferfest for a good workout, Rouvy for outdoor riding and Zwift fir meetups with bike club members.
"I still ride my bike daily , as long and as hard as I did in the summer."
Old 12-15-20, 10:28 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 846 Times in 410 Posts
I'm on a fairly low dose of carvedilol (Coreg). It definitely can make me feel tired, and I had to make adjustments on dosage w/ Doc to get to a good level. Also ask your Doc about time-of-day for dosing. While it does indeed 'put a governor' on the HR, my monitoring says I'm probably maxing around 160 instead of a 'predicted' 170-175. Or maybe I just don't try hard enough (or care). I don't think it's a factor in my recreational road riding. Get thee on a trainer, post haste. Or pull those oversized jeans back out of the bottom drawer. [insert Rule#5 here]
Old 12-15-20, 10:45 PM
5 mph

Originally Posted by canklecat
Yup, BP meds do that to me too. I take them only occasionally for migraines and they always knock me out for a day or two -- I feel sluggish. Supposedly we get accustomed to them with regular use but my blood pressure is okay so I don't take BP meds every day. Just a quirk of some migraines that they respond to certain BP meds.
Thanks for the feedback. I really thought it was my imagination.
I'm wondering if there are ways to cut back on the lethargy affect--What if I shortened my long daily bike ride or skip it or cut back?But I doubt I could do that, Rain or shine or cold or wind that ride everyday is so much fun and the best part of my day...
Two weeks ago at this very time, when I was on a really low dose, I was down in my cold garage working on--what else--my bike.
Tonight I feel clumsy, chilly, sleepy and I'm going to try to stay awake and watch TV with the family and yeah they do make you feel less than positive , depressed is the right word..
Its funny, because you know its your medication so you try to use mental gymnastics to ignore it but you can't

Last edited by 5 mph; 12-15-20 at 10:51 PM.
Old 12-16-20, 07:37 AM
bruce19

Not all BP meds are Beta Blockers. This might have information that is useful to you.

https://www.heart.org/en/health-topi...re-medications
Old 12-16-20, 07:53 AM
bruce19

OP....what was your BP pre-medication? Do you have a BP monitor at home? I use an OMRON and it is pretty accurate. I also discovered some breathing techniques used by the Navy Seals that come from Yoga. There is also a guy named Wim Hoff (The Iceman) who advocates a breathing technique for wellness generally. I have used several of these techniques and have seen improvement with each of them. For example, yesterday I took my BP at 134/84 and after a breathing technique it was 124/80. Today it was 145/91 and 135/85. My BP at home has been as high as 150/100. I'd be curious to know if breathing techniques are helpful.

FWIW...I'm not suggesting that you should abandon MD's recommendations but my MD has said I should sit in a quiet room for 10 minutes, relax and then take my
BP.
Old 12-16-20, 07:04 PM
5 mph

Originally Posted by bruce19
OP....what was your BP pre-medication? Do you have a BP monitor at home? I use an OMRON and it is pretty accurate. I also discovered some breathing techniques used by the Navy Seals that come from Yoga. There is also a guy named Wim Hoff (The Iceman) who advocates a breathing technique for wellness generally. I have used several of these techniques and have seen improvement with each of them. For example, yesterday I took my BP at 134/84 and after a breathing technique it was 124/80. Today it was 145/91 and 135/85. My BP at home has been as high as 150/100. I'd be curious to know if breathing techniques are helpful.

FWIW...I'm not suggesting that you should abandon MD's recommendations but my MD has said I should sit in a quiet room for 10 minutes, relax and then take my
BP.
thanks! Btw woke up at 6 am and my BP was 140 /89
at 10 am 140/89
then I rode my bike 1 hour, 17 mph. Blood pressure was 150 98 after I got off the bike
but ten minutes later after my shower it was130 72. Happens everytime after a bike ride. Now do you know why I am addicted?

Last edited by 5 mph; 12-16-20 at 07:07 PM.
Old 12-17-20, 10:08 AM
Steelman54 

Bikes: Allegro Model 77, Gitane Team Pro SLX, Waterford R2200

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 38 Posts
My couple of cents worth here for whatever it is worth as I am not a doctor is to keep riding, even the trainer in the basement/garage helps the BP. Mine BP has gone way down since I can ride more consistently. I admit getting out of where I used to work and doing p/t consulting has helped as the pressure to always turn work over the minute it arrives has gone away. I am on a simple low dose of amlodipine beseylyte (5 mg), but may go off it as my BP is low enough. In my opionion, watch these docs they love to overprescribe medication as I had a similar problem and bad side effects from statins before I told them to screw off on statins. Good luck.
Old 12-17-20, 10:53 AM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Part of the problem is the heart association keeps revising down the level of 'acceptable' BP. Where for non geriatrics below 140 was
felt to be great, then it was below 130 a few years ago and now it is below 120 as defined as normotensive. Diastolic BP below
80 ditto where below 90 was ok a few yrs ago. All this relates to some large population studies that seem to correlate elevated BP
(above 120/80 for either #) with increased heart/brain risk ie heart attack/stroke/dementia. This is no longer age adjusted, where
in the past someone in their 80s or above would be felt to be safer brain wise if systolic was upto 160 because the stiff arteries
would not modulate the pulsatile flow as much. No longer. So that is the info side pushing doctors to pay more attention
but there is also the bureaucrats monitoring patient health by blood sugar levels, weight, smoking and BP control and penalizing
MDs for failure to improve their patient health in these and other parameters. With the advent of electronic records this is very
easy to do.
Old 12-17-20, 10:56 AM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
I am not a dr but and expert on HBP had it since I was 14 years old. Been a marathoner and cyclist for 42 years. Has not keep me off BP medications and in fact had to increase mine dosage early in 2020. I take Lostartan 100 mils and 7.5 of HCZ a diuretic. This is not a beta blocker so has not directly effected my riding. If I don't keep up the riding the BP will rise. Mine will run perfect after my morning ride of usually 50 miles. Then will even get really low like 110-60. Then starts creeping back up and of course I have huge white coat syndrome. I go to office it gets way up come home and it is generally fine. I tell this to doctors who don't know me and they just shake their heads because they even realize it is wild to figure BP.

Bottom line exercise helps but it is not a complete cure.
Likes For deacon mark:
Old 12-17-20, 04:23 PM
5 mph

I think body Weight actually is not an indicator.
I am no doctor.
However I have seen really large guys who dont exercise packing some body fat at 120 / 70 and some lean small guys at 150/ 100.
I think personality is a better indicator. Chubby guys who talk slow, move calmly and hardly sweat seem to have low blood pressure and really intense excitable guys are usually high.
Old 12-18-20, 10:34 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Moved to Pills and Ills.
Old 12-18-20, 12:11 PM
bruce19

Originally Posted by Hermes
Moved to Pills and Ills.
FWIW Pills and Ills is not a forum I would go to. And, that's too bad because I would have missed this and I have something to contribute. Why not just leave it where it was? It's not like it was doing harm.
Old 12-18-20, 12:20 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
FWIW Pills and Ills is not a forum I would go to. And, that's too bad because I would have missed this and I have something to contribute. Why not just leave it where it was? It's not like it was doing harm.
At one point a large share of threads in Fifty Plus (50+) were medically related. Sometimes medical discussions outnumbered cycling. Members complained about the number of off topic posts. So the P&I subforum under Fifty Plus as created. If you’re interested in these type threads, check it out more regularly
Likes For StanSeven:
Old 12-18-20, 02:22 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,406 Times in 900 Posts
I'd like to ad that the complaints were that people who really wanted to learn about 50+ cycling had to fish through all the medical issues, some not even related to cycling. It was frustrating people. We observed it for a few months and the moderation team agreed that it became mostly about peoples ills. Instead of deleting all of them so that the 50+ cycling threads can be the majority in the 50+ cycling forum, we decided to make a section just for ills and pills.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Likes For Siu Blue Wind:
Old 12-18-20, 04:11 PM
bruce19

Those must be the people who grew up coloring within the lines. Picasso would be amused.
Old 12-19-20, 02:14 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,406 Times in 900 Posts
OR... If that's the case, why should we even have subforums? Why not just let it be one big cluster?
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Likes For Siu Blue Wind:
Old 12-21-20, 01:16 AM
5 mph

Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
OR... If that's the case, why should we even have subforums? Why not just let it be one big cluster?
You have a valid point..the reason I respectfully disagree, and I have been wrong many times, is that for many fifty and over riders , medical issues and living, overcoming or even making them go away are a significant part of the bike riding experience. Riding in Cold Weather, Buying Expensive Bikes and Parts, Road Safety , Best Handlebar grips and High blood pressure and bad knees are all part of the same experience..we share
Old 12-21-20, 12:45 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
I'd like to ad that the complaints were that people who really wanted to learn about 50+ cycling had to fish through all the medical issues, some not even related to cycling. It was frustrating people. We observed it for a few months and the moderation team agreed that it became mostly about peoples ills. Instead of deleting all of them so that the 50+ cycling threads can be the majority in the 50+ cycling forum, we decided to make a section just for ills and pills.
Just as feedback, I’m fine with these topics being in the Pills and ills subforum. I pop in from time to time, particularly if the post title that’s visible on the 50+ main page looks interesting. Or if I feel like there’s a reason to post medically related items. I’m guessing that a lot of the 50+ participants may not even realize there’s actually a subforum for medically related topics so they don’t know to visit. Similar situation with the 65-85 subforum where some of us have earned the right to participate!!! Thanks for all you folks are doing!!! Now just bring back the Diego’s (humor that many just might not understand!)!!!
Old 12-28-20, 09:24 AM
Steelman54 

Bikes: Allegro Model 77, Gitane Team Pro SLX, Waterford R2200

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by sch
Part of the problem is the heart association keeps revising down the level of 'acceptable' BP. Where for non geriatrics below 140 was
felt to be great, then it was below 130 a few years ago and now it is below 120 as defined as normotensive. Diastolic BP below
80 ditto where below 90 was ok a few yrs ago. All this relates to some large population studies that seem to correlate elevated BP
(above 120/80 for either #) with increased heart/brain risk ie heart attack/stroke/dementia. This is no longer age adjusted, where
in the past someone in their 80s or above would be felt to be safer brain wise if systolic was upto 160 because the stiff arteries
would not modulate the pulsatile flow as much. No longer. So that is the info side pushing doctors to pay more attention
but there is also the bureaucrats monitoring patient health by blood sugar levels, weight, smoking and BP control and penalizing
MDs for failure to improve their patient health in these and other parameters. With the advent of electronic records this is very
easy to do.
Again, just my thoughts here, but I think its big pharma that keeps pushing the lower numbers. I told my doctor i would live to the numbers before the last revision or so. He said fine. In our system, it pays off for the corporation running the medical practice to have to take pills and make more visits. That is why the numbers are pushed to be lower.
Old 12-28-20, 11:27 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,694 Times in 2,516 Posts
I don't think it's big pharma. I wish I had paid attention when my numbers were lower. They just kept slowly climbing and it obviously wasn't good. Yeah, my numbers would go down if i weighed 20 pounds less, but I don't. I know they sell a lot, but this stuff is dirt cheap, they aren't doing that well with it. Too much competition.

I am on a fairly high dose of lisinopril with a diuretic. Just the lisinopril by itself wasn't doing that much. I swore I would never take a diuretic because it seems stupid, but I haven't had any bad side effects and it works. Can't take beta blockers because of asthma, but I wouldn't have anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.