Search this Thread

Old 03-17-13, 11:25 AM
bobonker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re-match: Mix Canyon Rd

I started road biking in 2010 and after about a year and half of riding, I attempted to climb Mix Canyon Rd in Vacaville. (Great article here).

It sent me home with my tail between my legs. I tried to climb it with a 34/28 granny gear and ended up stopping 3 times...each time on the verge of puking/passing out. But...I hung in there and made it to the top.

Fast forward 4000 miles later. I went again yesterday and brought a 34/27 granny. Rode the first 2 miles at a really easy pace...basically tried to save all of my matches. I ended up needing them all. The last 3/4 of mile is just nasty steep and it doesn't let up. But...I made it without stopping. That was the goal. Now to go back and try to ride it faster. Finishing time: 48m31s. That would have put me 48th out of 54 for the Low Key Hill Climbs, but I think that time could easily come down quite a bit by not taking it so easy during the first half. Still, having a race up that hill is masochistic to say the least!

Bob
Old 03-17-13, 01:26 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
a while ago, when attempting long climbs, i was miserable, but i was convinced that those who were passing me were just tougher, mentally. now, i'm leaning towards the fact that it does get easier, and that those who are newer to climbing are truly suffering more. i'm pretty sure that even though i can now make much better times, i think, on climbs, i'm not really suffering as much either.

of course, this doesn't mean i don't make myself very uncomfortable on climbs from time to time.
Old 03-17-13, 05:04 PM
anotherbrian

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Anything with a 34 in the front is hardly a granny. A 34T is hard-core. :-) My one and only time up Mix I had a real granny (22T) on my crank (29er MTB with 700x25's) and it was a struggle.