Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

GP5000 users: does it really make that big of a difference?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

GP5000 users: does it really make that big of a difference?

Old 07-11-20, 10:03 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Btw, RChung - not to impose on your time too much, but can i get the benefit of your expertise on this thread of Slowtwitch:
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/S...=unread#unread

Ta!
Old 01-15-21, 04:37 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked 1,131 Times in 487 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla
Btw, RChung - not to impose on your time too much, but can i get the benefit of your expertise on this thread of Slowtwitch:
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/S...=unread#unread

Ta!
Sorry, just saw this, and just saw the ST thread. I think you got the answers there. There was a study in J. Sports Sci in 2018 or 2019 by Thomas Maier et al. on rim width and rolling resistance in a downhill MTB context. The conclusion was that tire pressure mattered more than rim width for Crr. For CdA, I think matching the tire to the rim so that the tire/rim combo is slippery is right. However, as far as total drag (i.e., aero + rolling drag), there's a point where good aero performance and good rolling performance are in opposition (the best examples are 19mm pizza cutters that had good aero performance because of width but terrible RR; and on the other end, Bontrager R4 Aerowing tires that also had good aero performance but they got there with stiffer sidewalls, so the RR component was also bad enough to negate the aero advantage in most instances).
Likes For RChung:
Old 01-15-21, 05:16 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by RChung
Sorry, just saw this, and just saw the ST thread. I think you got the answers there. There was a study in J. Sports Sci in 2018 or 2019 by Thomas Maier et al. on rim width and rolling resistance in a downhill MTB context. The conclusion was that tire pressure mattered more than rim width for Crr. For CdA, I think matching the tire to the rim so that the tire/rim combo is slippery is right. However, as far as total drag (i.e., aero + rolling drag), there's a point where good aero performance and good rolling performance are in opposition (the best examples are 19mm pizza cutters that had good aero performance because of width but terrible RR; and on the other end, Bontrager R4 Aerowing tires that also had good aero performance but they got there with stiffer sidewalls, so the RR component was also bad enough to negate the aero advantage in most instances).
To bounce off this......the point of opposition is a blend of overall weight, road surface roughness, and anticipated airspeed for the "event".

You can shift the point of opposition one way or another simply by being a faster or slower rider. You can shift the point of opposition by being a heavier or lighter rider.

The point of opposition isn't the same for a 160lb rider going 27mph in a TT as it is for a 220lb rider going 20 or 21mph in a full Ironman. The point for the 160lb rider shifts to "narrower". The point for the 220lb rider shifts "wider".

The point for a faster rider shifts towards narrower (less yaw angle, more grams aero drag going faster). The point shifts to wider/CRR for slower riders (more yaw angle, less grams aero drag).

I think I've got that right in my head.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 01-15-21, 06:21 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked 1,131 Times in 487 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
To bounce off this......the point of opposition is a blend of overall weight, road surface roughness, and anticipated airspeed for the "event".

You can shift the point of opposition one way or another simply by being a faster or slower rider. You can shift the point of opposition by being a heavier or lighter rider.

The point of opposition isn't the same for a 160lb rider going 27mph in a TT as it is for a 220lb rider going 20 or 21mph in a full Ironman. The point for the 160lb rider shifts to "narrower". The point for the 220lb rider shifts "wider".

The point for a faster rider shifts towards narrower (less yaw angle, more grams aero drag going faster). The point shifts to wider/CRR for slower riders (more yaw angle, less grams aero drag).

I think I've got that right in my head.
Yes, I think you've got that right, too: the exact balance point matters, and the things you list are how they're put together, but it also depends on what the road surface is like. Wooden velodrome vs. regular asphalt vs. rough asphalt vs. gravel race.
Old 01-18-21, 10:40 AM
Wooderson

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Dumb question about all these claims about grip..

Unless you're racing crits and laying your bike down a couple times a month, how do people claim to say (x) tire has better grip than (y) tire? Is it just blind faith in the tire product hierarchy and marketing? One post early in this thread mentioned that they could tell the tire had more grip by the second turn. Do you all really take your tires to the edge of sliding out that regularly to find the breaking point?
Old 01-18-21, 10:47 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10234 Post(s)
Liked 5,177 Times in 2,222 Posts
short answer. Yes.
Old 01-18-21, 12:10 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by Wooderson
Do you all really take your tires to the edge of sliding out that regularly to find the breaking point?
In training, no. In races... yeah.

It's why I won't race Michelon Power Comps or Shwalbe Pro Ones. On the former I lost it completely and crashed. On the latter I had to drop out of the race when it started raining, and I couldn't take the turns anymore.

You don't have to have that extreme of an experience to feel when the tire is not holding, though.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 01-19-21, 10:01 AM
Branko D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
To be fair, he clarified his point in a subsequent post - for him, the slightly lower RR of GP5ks isnt worth the reduction in cornering confidence and ride quality. That's fair enough.

For someone who isnt at the pointy end of things, riding comfort and price are reasonable tradeoffs to make vs marginal gains. I ride GP5ks on my TT bike instead of Corsa Speeds because for my MOP ass, I'd rather give up 15-20 seconds due to the tires than risk losing 5 minutes due to a flat (especially given what utter bastards TL tires are to mount and dismount).

Funny that, I've just recently ditched clincher GP5000s with latex tubes precisely because they're a horrible pain to get off and get on my wheels when I do get a flat (which is, admittedly, exceedingly rare and mostly when it happens it's due to the latex tube somehow getting pinched, while I can put on Corsa Speed TL tires on with my hands. We'll see about puncture resistance, but it's a TL tire, should be OK. First 100+ k ride on them, they seemed very nice, although I didn't push the traction too far because it started snowing.

First installed Corsa Speed TLs on my wife's TT bike, flatted once due to hitting a gash in the road with a sharp corner but have been trouble-free otherwise.
Old 01-19-21, 12:06 PM
Rocket-Sauce 
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked 1,840 Times in 1,052 Posts
I am one of the rare breed that isnt too excited about the GP5ks. They perform well - sure. I have them on my tri bike as I find them to be the best compromise between speed and puncture resistance.

But in terms of ride feel, i much prefer the Turbo Cottons and Veloflex Corsas. Both of them are rated to have a higher RR, as per BRR, though, so there is that. The Turbo Cottons and Corsas dont feel slower than the GP5ks, but obviously, this level of difference is going to be hard to judge just by feel. If running Corsa Speeds tubeless makes them perform reliably enough w/r/t flats, that may become my speed tire.

I also have a pair of Wolfpack tires waiting to be mounted - anyone here use them and can compare? Supposedly made by the same guy who invented Black Chili, Gripton and Addix.
I have been intrigued by this brand too....

But this is printed on the product page of their own website for their cotton road tires:https://wolfpack-tires.com/product/5522/?lang=en

ATTENTION!

Our Cotton cannot be complained!

Ongoing checks for tread separation are absolutely necessary to continue to drive safe with this Wolfpack tyre!
Unfortunately, there have been problems with tread detachment with this product for some time now, which is why we have removed the article from our range for the time being. However, as there is still a high demand, we are now offering all cotton tyres at a lower price so that our customers can continue to purchase them and at the same time overlook any problems that may arise!
Old 01-19-21, 02:34 PM
cafzali

Bikes: Giant TCR SL3 and Trek 1.5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mercator
but being the thrifty type, I stocked up on GP4000 and Pro4 when the prices were good and I still haven't worn through them yet.
Look at the 4000s for dry rot if they've been hanging around a long time. The better the tire quality, in my experience, the more dry rot potentially becomes an issue.
Old 01-19-21, 03:20 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,802 Posts
I got and mounted a new GP5000s right before the lockdown (due to a flat and went from 23 to 25 at the same time) and spent the next 9 or so months riding almost exclusively on the trainer (if I'd known that was coming, I would have bought a cheaper trainer tire). When I mounted it, I briefly fretted about the mismatched tires, but it didn't matter on the trainer. The first long ride I took outside, the casing on the GP5000 got all cut to hell. Don't know if it was heat from riding rollers (I ride rollers with a forkstand as a trainer and rollers shouldn't heat up much) or what. There were maybe 1000-1500 miles ridden inside and a couple dozen outside, so I was pretty bummed. Lots of cuts in the rubber and it was torn/flapping in parts. Nothing got through the kevlar belt, so I saved it to potentially put back on as a trainer tire sometime in the future if I don't have a race coming up and want to see if it's still usable.

Since there weren't any shops open and I had a Zwift race that night, I put the 23mm GP4000sII on the rear and rode it while I ordered new GP5000s (upsized again from 23 in the front to 25 and to 28 in the rear - should just fit). I'm still riding the GP4000 on the trainer (a fancy tire I have is cheaper than a trainer tire I don't) and have the matching GP5000s to put on when I finally go back outside. No need to put extra wear on them now. Never would have thought the GP5000s would tear that easily.