Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Double Kickstand Recommendations?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-22, 10:16 AM
wintermute

Bikes: 1980 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 1986 Kuwahara ATB, 2006 Bianchi Volpe, 2016 Salsa Fargo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts

I'm shopping for a double leg kickstand, specifically the type that swings to the non-drive side when not in use. This is for an 80's MTB converted to dirt drops and that has a porteur rack with the capability to fasten panniers. I'm debating between the Pletscher double, Velo Orange Copenhagen, and Soma Fab double. I like that the Pletscher doesn't rely on any plastic structural parts. The VO does have plastic legs, but these make it easy to adjust. The Soma is similar to the VO, but has a bulkier, more industrial look to it. Thoughts?
Old 02-16-22, 10:57 AM
Wilbur Bud

Bikes: Longbikes Slipstream

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 31 Posts
I have/had the pletscher. My only complaint is the single hole/bolt mounting. Eventually it rotates. Repeated tightening finally popped out the internal tube on my bike's mounting pad. After several years I took it off because my office closed and I became permanent work from home (prior to covid)and so I do not stop and park as much as I used to do. It also needed periodic/annual deep-cleaning and lubrication but probably they all would as I was year round rider and winter generates a lot of dirt, but dirty internals meant I had to use more force to move it to the riding position which leads to easier rotation on the single mount. I think it's a great piece and my situation was unusual. But, single hole mounting is a pivot point and if I ever remounted it I would add a second pin or bolt to anchor it.
Old 02-16-22, 04:42 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2501 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 526 Posts
There are only two double leg stands that operate like described. The Pletscher, and the one by Velo Orange(?) I have two Pletchers, one in use, and another waiting for a reason to be. The one on our daily driver is deployed countless times a day for five years rain or shine and I've never bothered the adjustment. I may have tightened the bolt once. There is no possible way to add another bolt to the mounting. Possibly one could use some innertube or other compressible shim in the mounting plates to create a self-tightening situation but I have not found that necessary.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 02-16-22, 08:43 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 252 Posts
From these, I only have experience with Pletscher, that has been a source of constant trouble. Eventually, all Pletschers on household bikes got kicked out and mostly got replaced by sturdy bipod kickstands by Hebie. None of the latter folds to one side, but, one FoldRex, folds to a narrow profile along the tire.

Regarding finer details, Pletscher may have no plastic parts, but it corroded to a solid block in winter around the mount. The fact that I could never could get any response from the Pletscher customer service on different occasions did not help building my confidence in the company. Plastic feet are helpful with any kickstand and I always hold a stock of them in different sizes, just like grips, cables, etc. Regarding single-bolt mount rotation, there is a plastic plate by Hebie that helps with the mounting. Having a proper kickstand plate brazed on obviously helps too.
Old 02-21-22, 09:52 AM
wintermute

Bikes: 1980 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 1986 Kuwahara ATB, 2006 Bianchi Volpe, 2016 Salsa Fargo

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
There are only two double leg stands that operate like described. The Pletscher, and the one by Velo Orange(?) I have two Pletchers, one in use, and another waiting for a reason to be. The one on our daily driver is deployed countless times a day for five years rain or shine and I've never bothered the adjustment. I may have tightened the bolt once. There is no possible way to add another bolt to the mounting. Possibly one could use some innertube or other compressible shim in the mounting plates to create a self-tightening situation but I have not found that necessary.
Vielen Dank! Pletscher sells a mount that sandwiches the chain stays that may or may not come with the kickstand. I'll look into that in conjunction with the inner tube. Another hack I've read about is placing steel washers in the optional rubber feet to prevent the tips of the stand from punching through the bottom.
Old 02-21-22, 03:15 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 252 Posts
Hebie plate 699

Old 03-17-22, 09:53 AM
wintermute

So I made one of the classic blunders and bought a large (320mm - for 28") Pletscher double kickstand instead of a small (290mm - for 26"). Should I try to return it (hassle) or install it and cut it down? I'm running 26"x2.15" tires. I'm guessing cutting it down shouldn't be a problem unless the two different models have differing amounts of sideways splay.