Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike shipping deals to Nagoya Japan

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-17, 02:32 AM
pat5319

Bikes: Seven Axiom Ti, Trek 620, Masi cylocross (steel). Masi Souleville 8spd, Fat Chance Mtn. (steel), Schwinn Triple Bar cruiser, Mazi Speciale Fix/single, Schwinn Typhoon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Next year I am planning a Trip to Japan to ride with a lifelong friend who lives in Nagoya, does anyone know of airline or freight "deals" to get my bike there? I have packaging handled.
(Yes, I am very picky and it's rare to find a bike that "fits" that isn't "custom".)
Old 08-15-17, 04:53 AM
Sangetsu

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
Your cheapest option is to pack it in a hard case, and check it in on your flight. It is better if you use a case which doesn't show that it is holding a bicycle. I bought a used hard case from my LBS for $60, and used it several times. You may have to pay an oversize bag fee, but this is usually cheaper than the fee many airlines charge for bicycles. Besides the bike, you can put some of your other things in the case as well.
Old 08-15-17, 07:44 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
can you find a brick & mortar, travel agency. that may be whree they know their business .. better than this rabble.
Old 08-15-17, 08:00 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18442 Post(s)
Liked 15,638 Times in 7,357 Posts
I would not count on the airline not knowing there is a bike inside. And if they ask, I would not lie or give a cute answer like "Exercise equipment." It's just not worth getting in trouble. Sometimes life costs money where you wish it didn't.
Old 08-15-17, 08:31 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Cheapest is to pack it up and fly with it.

Originally Posted by Sangetsu
You may have to pay an oversize bag fee, but this is usually cheaper than the fee many airlines charge for bicycles. Besides the bike, you can put some of your other things in the case as well.
No, it generally isn't, at least on Western airlines. As always, it is best to know your particular airline's policies.

Using Delta as an example, it is $150 each way to fly a bike. Oversize fees range from $150-300, and under no circumstance with the regular oversize baggage (i.e., not paid for sports equipment) will they fly anything larger than 80 linear inches, which would be hard to get a normal bike packed down to.

Air Canada, the other airline I use frequently, charges $50 for bikes and $100 for oversize baggage. You get the same limits packing a bike or paying for oversize baggage.
Old 08-15-17, 09:44 AM
pickettt

Bikes: DiamondBack Podium 7, Focus Raven 1.0, Ritchey BreakAway Cross, (2) Trek 8500, Paramount PDG 90, Trek T2000, Redline Flight Pro 24

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
If it's a one time thing, take the hit, pay the $150 or so and enjoy your trip. If it's going to be a regular thing, look into getting a bike that folds or breaks down for travelling.
Old 08-15-17, 12:37 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18442 Post(s)
Liked 15,638 Times in 7,357 Posts
Originally Posted by pickettt
If it's a one time thing, take the hit, pay the $150 or so and enjoy your trip.

+1. The GF and I flew U.S. Air to Venice for two weeks of riding at a "bike camp." $200/bike each way. The riding was worth it.
Old 08-15-17, 01:04 PM
manapua_man

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pat5319
Next year I am planning a Trip to Japan to ride with a lifelong friend who lives in Nagoya, does anyone know of airline or freight "deals" to get my bike there? I have packaging handled.
(Yes, I am very picky and it's rare to find a bike that "fits" that isn't "custom".)
I'd just fly it over. Depending on how often you go, it might be worth it to look into something with couplers or a high end folder.
Old 08-15-17, 08:56 PM
Sangetsu

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Cheapest is to pack it up and fly with it.

No, it generally isn't, at least on Western airlines. As always, it is best to know your particular airline's policies.

Using Delta as an example, it is $150 each way to fly a bike. Oversize fees range from $150-300, and under no circumstance with the regular oversize baggage (i.e., not paid for sports equipment) will they fly anything larger than 80 linear inches, which would be hard to get a normal bike packed down to.

Air Canada, the other airline I use frequently, charges $50 for bikes and $100 for oversize baggage. You get the same limits packing a bike or paying for oversize baggage.
I fly on JAL or ANA, the bike fee is $150, the oversize bag fee is $70. In a couple of instances they knew a bike was inside the case, but charged me the lower fee anyway.
Old 08-15-17, 09:04 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Sangetsu
I fly on JAL or ANA, the bike fee is $150, the oversize bag fee is $70. In a couple of instances they knew a bike was inside the case, but charged me the lower fee anyway.
Good to know, if I ever head that way

I think in general, the Mid East/Asian carriers are still a bit more friendly towards the consumer than the American/Euro ones.
Old 08-16-17, 10:24 AM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Good to know, if I ever head that way

I think in general, the Mid East/Asian carriers are still a bit more friendly towards the consumer than the American/Euro ones.
I'm not sure there's an industry that's less consumer friendly that most US airlines...
Old 08-16-17, 12:25 PM
Barabaika

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You can rent a bike in Nagoya.

A road bike costs $40 a day or $163 a month. Though, it'll likely be a small size bike.
レンタル クロスバイク ロードバイク 名古屋 車いす 紹介

Your friend may ride an electric bike.
Old 08-21-17, 11:49 PM
KWillets

Bikes: Waterford RS-11, Giant Talon 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not sure about Japan, but I just took a bike on Asiana for free, in a cardboard box from my LBS. They give an extra allowance on the box size:

Individual items with total dimensions (width+depth+height) up to 277cm (109 inches) will be exempt from extra charges. Items measuring over 277cm cannot be transported.
I believe Korean Air is similar.
Old 08-22-17, 08:45 AM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Expert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor, Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 58 Posts
I flew ANA from Vancouver BC to Tokyo, and the from Tokyo to Wakkanai (Hokkaido) last summer. Had my bike in a large, soft sided bike bag. They transported it as a piece of luggage with no surcharge. I have flown several other times with a bike within Japan on ANA and never had to pay extra. Plus, they seem very considerate with respect to handling. You will need an un padded bike bag to transport your bike on trains within Japan. Generally available for under $50 at bike shops.