Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

heart rate watches

Search
Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

heart rate watches

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-06, 05:19 PM
maverick101

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
heart rate watches

Been looking around for awhile at the different heart rate watches that are out there, man theres lots of them. Any one use them? if do what kind are you useing?

Jason
Old 10-22-06, 05:47 PM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Polar is the brand I was recommended and bought.

Mine is a Polar Accurex Plus, an older model. It allows the transfer and download the training data.

On the shorter races I don't wear it (HR just spikes in the 170-180's and stays there for the hour!). Wear it always on the longer races like IM, as it's too easy to go out too hard on the bike without it!
Old 10-23-06, 05:16 AM
trimonkey

Bikes: giant scr 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah i use one nearly all the time, it's a very basic Timex 1406 (i think thats the model) Basically a stop watch with a heart rate monitor, which will beep if your heart rate goes too high or too low. I usually strap it to my handlebars for my brick sessions with an adapter, then snatch it off for the run. It depends how much information and feedback you want from your training, and how deep your pockets are as to what model you want, but i've heard good things about Polar too.
Old 10-23-06, 10:05 AM
Berns

Bikes: 2008 Quintana Roo LuceroLite; 1993 Zipp 2001, 1998 Quintana Roo Private Reserve Kilo; Kona

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm currently using a Nike Triax Elite. Makes it nice for running because of the SDM (Speed-Distand-Monitor) pod. However, I found that the pod takes some time to dial in. I got it at half price from Nike's Employee store. Otherwise I would have gone with a Polar. I've used a Polar Acurex II (very old version... 1994) and it just died on me this year (about 4-months ago). Very trustworthy. Happy with the Nike though.
Old 10-23-06, 02:43 PM
FIVE ONE SIX
SpIn SpIn SuGaR!

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i use a polar myself, the F6, with a polar bike mount for my handlebars...
Old 10-23-06, 02:52 PM
RoadToad
Flatman

Bikes: Giant TCR2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just recently got the Garmin Forerunner 305 and it is the bomb. I had a Polar s120 before and it worked well, it just didn't have as much info as I wanted. I also really like the gps mapping...
Old 11-22-06, 05:18 PM
andygates
Just riding

Bikes: Cannondale Bad Boy / Mercian track / BOB trailer / Moulton recumbent project

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just got a Suunto T3 with running pod; very happy with it
Old 11-27-06, 01:53 AM
uclamutt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hear rate monitors seem like a novelty. I thought the whole idea behind them was to ensure your heart is beating at it's peak rate according to your age/ fitness level. Does anyone actually use it for that or is it just a cool gadget? Do you actually adjust your physical output based on what the monitor says?

Can anyone set me straight on this?

I do like the idea of GPS. It seems very useful when running/riding in unfamiliar places.
Old 11-27-06, 08:56 AM
orcanova

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the Polar S725x, because it funcions as my bike computer as well adn all the data downloads into Polar software. It is my training log and has all the data I need.

I don't set HR zones per se but I do pick a general zone to stay in for that given workout and keep my eye on it.

On day I did a 70 mile ride and the first half was dead into a 20 mph wind coming from the West. I stuck to a specific HR (160) and cadence (80 RPM) and let the speed be whatever it was. I felt like I could ride all day like that so it made the ride with the headwind very manageable, so the HR info is useful.
Old 11-27-06, 09:51 AM
jennings780

Bikes: '06 Cannondale CAAD8, '04 Cannondale Ironman 2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by uclamutt
Hear rate monitors seem like a novelty. I thought the whole idea behind them was to ensure your heart is beating at it's peak rate according to your age/ fitness level. Does anyone actually use it for that or is it just a cool gadget? Do you actually adjust your physical output based on what the monitor says?

Can anyone set me straight on this?

I do like the idea of GPS. It seems very useful when running/riding in unfamiliar places.
The reason to wear a HRM is to make sure that you are exercising within the appropraiate heart range for what workout you are doing. 75% of your workouts should be entirely aerobic - so under your anaerobic threshhold. I use my HRM to make sure I don't go above that level when doing most of my workouts. So, the HRM helps set the ceiling for my workout HR. Then, in season, when I add intervals/speed work I use the HRM to make sure I get my heart rate up to whatever level I need to get it to for the interval. I find use of a HRM to be very very helpful.

If you aren't aware of this way of training, there are a number of good books out there.
Old 11-29-06, 04:17 PM
andygates
Just riding

Bikes: Cannondale Bad Boy / Mercian track / BOB trailer / Moulton recumbent project

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With a footpod as well, you've got something that tells you how fast you're going - really useful to me as I zone out while running and a bleep telling me to pick up the pace is ideal. With the HR functions I can intend to do a real beast of a workout or to keep at light effort for recovery, rather than guessing.

And it's a cool gadget.
Old 12-03-06, 05:24 PM
Roystl

Bikes: Giant OCR Limited

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started with a Polar S150. I did not like it, the main problem was it picked up a lot of interference which caused false readings. I have have been using a Cateye H20 for the past 6 months and have been very satisfied with it. It is easy to use and I get almost no false readings.
Old 12-11-06, 08:06 PM
biffstephens
Biker looking for a ride!

Bikes: Kuota Kreedo...looking for something different.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got a Cateye MSC-HR20 today.....very nice and simple....you can put your stats in it or even right out of the box it will do HR functions....

What I was looking for was simple and something I could wear every day as a watch, oh and under 100 bucks....

Very happy with it so far...