Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

'Take Two Bike Rides and Call Me in the Morning: Cycling as Doctor's Orders'

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-19, 01:43 PM
Arthur Peabody

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts

'Doctors in Wales can now prescribe free bike rides to encourage people to exercise under a pilot program, the first in Britain.'

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/10/w...ion-bikes.html
Old 05-10-19, 01:50 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,029 Times in 1,427 Posts
I took two free rides yesterday...without a prescription!

-Matt
Old 05-10-19, 01:51 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Arthur Peabody
'Doctors in Wales can now prescribe free bike rides to encourage people to exercise under a pilot program, the first in Britain.'

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/10/w...ion-bikes.html
There's pretty good evidence that light exercise is better at treating mild depression than medication, but the doctors are afraid to prescribe it because their patients won't take them seriously or see it as kind of an insult.
Old 05-10-19, 01:53 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18398 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
How much do they cost, and are they covered by insurance?
Old 05-10-19, 02:23 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
How much do they cost, and are they covered by insurance?
Ha ha ha... this was exactly what I wanted to ask.

My guess is a financial ploy to have the government pay for bikeshare subscriptions and the British healthcare system is a convenient mechanism to do so.

Who can argue with "alternative to drugs" and other such phrases?

Anyone who thinks it isn't a good idea financially will be accused of being anti-health, pro-drug companies, hate babies, racist, etc., etc., etc.

-Tim-
Old 05-10-19, 02:27 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
There's pretty good evidence that light exercise is better at treating mild depression than medication, but the doctors are afraid to prescribe it because their patients won't take them seriously or see it as kind of an insult.
Plus there aren't any kickbacks from the big pharmaceutical corporations. It's too natural.
Old 05-10-19, 03:08 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

People can exercise by walking.

Why does the taxpayer need to pay for bike share rides?

-Tim-
Old 05-10-19, 03:20 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
"A bike ride a day keeps the doctor away."

Who knew?
Old 05-10-19, 07:57 PM
Arthur Peabody

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
"A bike ride a day keeps the doctor away."
Coincidentally the saying to which you allude appeared in Wales first also:
'The aphorism, "An apple a day keeps the doctor away," originated in Wales, first appearing in a publication in 1866 in a different rhyming format: "Eat an apple on going to bed and you'll keep the doctor from earning his bread."'
https://archinte.jamanetwork.com/arti...icleid=2210883
Note the reference to economic considerations
Old 05-10-19, 09:13 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by KraneXL
Walking is an "exercise" only if you're over 80.
The vast majority of modern, evidence based science disagrees with this.

Even so, most people will get more exercise on foot than they will soft pedaling and coasting around on a bike.

Let them go for a jog. There is no medical need for subsidized bike share. It is a financial scam.

-Tim-
Likes For TimothyH:
Old 05-10-19, 09:38 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Arthur Peabody,
Thanks for sharing this. A great support for the benefits of cycling ! I has has been known for a long time about the cardio vascular benefits of cycling.

I am ignoring the dumb negative posts that a positive post like this usually receives. Their responses are a source of entertainment.
Old 05-10-19, 11:53 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
The vast majority of modern, evidence based science disagrees with this.

Even so, most people will get more exercise on foot than they will soft pedaling and coasting around on a bike.

Let them go for a jog. There is no medical need for subsidized bike share. It is a financial scam.

-Tim-
That's because science deals with absolutes. Under that definition any exercise is better than none. But in reality walking across the courtyard or even a couple of blocks to get to the shuttle is not going to make any appreciable difference when you weigh 350 lbs. You'd have to walk miles, and that mean double digits. I've seen people put their bikes on trains and buses to go half as far.

Anyway, I removed the post for the sake of argument. Not that I'm anti walking, just more pragmatic about its benefits.

It may interest you to know that I AM A WALKER, and have been so since just after I was able to stand. I choose walking when nobody else would consider it. So I know the merits of walking, and what it can do.
Old 05-11-19, 12:03 AM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
People can exercise by walking.

Why does the taxpayer need to pay for bike share rides?

-Tim-
I walk places and bike places. Biking works way better at head clearing than the walking does. And has a positive impact on sleep quality.

Walking seems to me more effective (level of effort and time spent are similar).
Old 05-11-19, 12:09 PM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
I took two free rides yesterday...without a prescription!
Taking a ride without a prescription?!?! And on top of that, you took two of them? That, my friend, is how addiction starts!
Old 05-11-19, 12:40 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Altair 4
Taking a ride without a prescription?!?! And on top of that, you took two of them? That, my friend, is how addiction starts!
Uh-huh. Next thing you know you're begging the doctor for a scrip for another bike and he says, "No, three's the limit." And you come out of his office and some shady character sidles up to you and says, "Psst. Hey, buddy, wanna buy a bike?"
Old 05-11-19, 02:15 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,029 Times in 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by Altair 4
I thought I could handle it. All my friends were doing it...

-Matt
Old 05-11-19, 02:25 PM
krecik

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 54 Posts
​​​​​​​

Last edited by krecik; 01-13-21 at 01:50 PM.
Likes For krecik:
Old 05-11-19, 04:45 PM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
I thought I could handle it. All my friends were doing it...

-Matt
If all your friends were doing jumps on a mountain bike, would you...oh, wait.
Likes For Altair 4:
Old 05-11-19, 06:44 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

And then the government will set up methadone Peloton clinics for all the addicts .
Old 05-11-19, 10:19 PM
Arthur Peabody

most people will get more exercise on foot than they will soft pedaling and coasting around on a bike.

Some people can't walk but can bike, especially a 3-wheeled recumbent. Exercise only works if you do it. Some will bike but not walk. Walking has begun to hurt for me; running did about 5 years ago, so much I had to stop.
Old 05-11-19, 10:38 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
I find biking far more practical. I can go further, do errands, get myself to places 10-12 miles away etc. that would be very time consuming on foot. I also like that I can load the bike (say with farmer's market produce) and not have to carry it by hand or on my back/
Old 05-12-19, 02:11 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by jade408
I walk places and bike places. Biking works way better at head clearing than the walking does. And has a positive impact on sleep quality.

Walking seems to me more effective (level of effort and time spent are similar).
For me its just the opposite. When I'm walking I can muse, and because its a virtually autonomic activity it allows me to even enter a very deep introspection with virtually no interfere provided the area is safe from hazards and too much activity. The only thing better would be an isolated beach (try finding that in LA) or a serene mountain top away from all people and technology.

Although that type of very deep mediation is rare for me due to my inability to satisfy other life sustaining requirements that can distract from achieving that higher plan of existence. (I have yet to be able to achieve that even in a dream state where at least theoretically, one should be able to completely control their environment), I can move to a state where I can significantly remove the emotions that typically dominate the average individual that chooses to maintain a lifestyle without it.

My cycling meditation (like running) on the other hand , is a much different and might I say shallower form of mediation although the experience can be just as satisfying due to the release of endorphins rather than purely due to achieving a state of higher contentiousness.

Although some people focus on their breathing cyclical motion and steps, I concentrate on a state of well-being and enlightenment through spirituality which lowers my anxiety, help suppress my physical and psychological pain, decrease depression and improve my cognitive ability. There's no right or wrong here, just different choices for what works best for each individual.
Old 05-12-19, 04:04 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I find biking far more practical. I can go further, do errands, get myself to places 10-12 miles away etc. that would be very time consuming on foot. I also like that I can load the bike (say with farmer's market produce) and not have to carry it by hand or on my back/
All true, but its not just a matter of practicality. The absolute benefit comes from doing work.
Old 05-12-19, 08:57 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
For me its just the opposite. When I'm walking I can muse, and because its a virtually autonomic activity it allows me to even enter a very deep introspection with virtually no interfere provided the area is safe from hazards and too much activity. The only thing better would be an isolated beach (try finding that in LA) or a serene mountain top away from all people and technology.

Although that type of very deep mediation is rare for me due to my inability to satisfy other life sustaining requirements that can distract from achieving that higher plan of existence. (I have yet to be able to achieve that even in a dream state where at least theoretically, one should be able to completely control their environment), I can move to a state where I can significantly remove the emotions that typically dominate the average individual that chooses to maintain a lifestyle without it.

My cycling meditation (like running) on the other hand , is a much different and might I say shallower form of mediation although the experience can be just as satisfying due to the release of endorphins rather than purely due to achieving a state of higher contentiousness.

Although some people focus on their breathing cyclical motion and steps, I concentrate on a state of well-being and enlightenment through spirituality which lowers my anxiety, help suppress my physical and psychological pain, decrease depression and improve my cognitive ability. There's no right or wrong here, just different choices for what works best for each individual.
Groovy!
Old 05-12-19, 12:31 PM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by krecik
It's too late, he's done for... Next thing you know he'll be on a hospital table with the paramedics, overdose is no joke...

Kret
With a feeding tube and sugar drip.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.