Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

discomfort on top of foot

Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-19, 08:18 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts

is this a thing? or just a random occurrence? this is on top of the large toe tendon, mid-foot. wondering if this is just a shoe fit or adjustment issue. anyone else get this?

Old 07-27-19, 08:32 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
I have high arches and if my shoes are too tight in the area shown in the photo, that is what happens to me. Not just bicycling, but a lot of shoes, depending on fit. I do one of two things: just leave the laces, or whatever closure the shoe has, a bit loose in that area, or, if it has laces, do not crosses the laces at those eyelets. Just run them straight through and cross them above and below those eyelets. It works for me.
Old 07-27-19, 09:04 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Something is causing too much pressure. My guess is a combination of swelling from riding or walking in summer heat, and shoelaces or straps a little too snug. Possible socks and insoles too.

If you have laced shoes, check online for tips on fancy lacing patterns for problem feet. I have feet like ice skates -- long, thin, bony. With high arches my feet are picky about shoes and fasteners. I use a lace pattern from a site that specializes in hikers, but it works for any laced shoe.

There are elastic shoelaces that can help too. They don't last long, but even if they last only a couple of weeks that's often enough to recover from foot discomfort.

But my clipless bike shoes are velcro straps, although the Scott shoes have a buckle for the top closure. During a ride I'll adjust the straps, etc., as soon as I feel a twinge -- or if the shoes feel too loose, I'll snug down the straps a bit. Usually I'll stop to do this, or wait for a rest stop in a group ride.

First, be sure you're not on the verge of cellulitis. Hard to tell from a photo. But cellulitis can happen quickly in murky summer weather, just starting from shoe pressure and a minor skin abrasion. Saw it happen in the military many times.

Cold and warm compresses, several times a day. Whatever topical analgesic you like. I prefer the stuff with MSM which helps penetrate the skin so the anti-inflammatory and analgesic stuff gets through and does its stuff. Stopain, Biofreeze, Osteo Bi-Flex and others contain MSM as a transdermal carrier. I have some CBD balm that I like but I'll add a bit of DMSO to penetrate the skin. But MSM is milder than DMSO, less likely to provoke itching or rash.
Old 07-29-19, 07:22 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 2,634 Times in 945 Posts
I get that too. Sometimes. Usually from hiking though. Adjusting my shoe string helps sometimes.