Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Dynamo light newbie

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Dynamo light newbie

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-19, 08:53 AM
tdonline

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Dynamo light newbie

I was excited to buy a bike that came with a dynamo front light along with a tail-light. Finally, no more forgetting to bring or charge lights/batteries. No need to put on/take off lights. Unfortunately the front light is about as bright as a scented candle. The tail-light is great though. The Performance Bike mechanic did mention that the light was more for being seen rather to see. His response when I expressed concern a front basket would block the light. Well, he wasn't wrong.

Is 30 lux particularly low light? From what I've read, setup of the hub is a big factor in ensuring the light is providing its max capacity? Or is 30 lux's capacity is to be seen rather than to illuminate the road?

If I want a brighter light, do I only need to replace the light bulb(s)? Or replace the light itself? Replace the entire dynamo system?

HEADLIGHT
Axa Blueline 30 lux, Steady Auto
TAILLIGHT
Axa Blueline led, Steady

Breezer Bikes | 2017 Liberty 1R+ ST | Bike Archives

For context, my USB light is 550 lumens and as a primary light, it's just about right for me. If I were to buy another USB light, I wouldn't go any lower.
Old 07-27-19, 10:51 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
Yeah 30 Lux is Just enough to make you visible not to light your way. 75 and up is what you need. The dyno hub won’t have a problem powering a brighter light.

Last edited by Dan Burkhart; 07-27-19 at 10:55 AM.
Old 07-27-19, 04:16 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
I don't know about lumens, but the B&M Lumotec Cyo Premium at 80 lux is a very good light.You can really see the road with it. As stated above, that hub won't have any problems powering it.
Old 07-27-19, 06:09 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
30 Lux is a measure of maximum brightness at a point, not over an area. Lumens measure total light emitted as perceived by humans, regardless of the distribution or concentration of the light. Neither measure gives a complete characterization.

Your generator produces 3 watts at maximum speed. From 3W a good LED lamp can emit ~300 lumens, max. That's like a decent flashlight; more than a "be seen" light but not a lot more.

Human perception of light is very non-linear. You'll have to have 600 lumens to barely notice the increase which can make a very good bike light if distributed well, and even more is better. So, you are still constrained by the power supply. Consider adding a good battery powered main light and think of the dynamo light you have as "be seen/get home."
Old 07-28-19, 02:00 PM
tdonline

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Thanks to everyone for your informative posts. As someone who is on their first dynamo light--my base information was nil.

So it looks like the good news is that I can buy/install a brighter light. The bad news being that brighter may not be as bright as I wish.

Cygolite 550 is going for about $30 on Amazon...sigh, guess I'm sticking with detachable lights for awhile yet.
Old 07-29-19, 09:24 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
You can simply replace the light, and get up to 100 lux.

You'll want to be aware that a lumen is not equal to a lux. The Busch und Muller lights put more light on the road than battery powered lights with lumen ratings about three times higher than the BuM lux ratings.

This is probably irrelevant, since OP has already made up his mind: my experience was that 40 lux (one of the original Cyo lights) was adequate for suburban and urban streets, and for anything less than downhill speeds on rural, unlighted roads. The Cyo II is awesome, period.
Old 07-29-19, 12:34 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/Müller-Lumotec-Premium-bicycle-headlight/dp/B00G49RGJE/ref=asc_df_B00G49RGJE/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid={creative}&hvpos={adposition}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt= e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584345018253018&psc=1