Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Wheel building essentials?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-19, 02:34 AM
jideta

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 74 Posts

Taking a big bite!

Okay, so I'm gonna order this:

TS 2.2 stand

TSB-2.2 base

TM-1 tensioner

ND-1 driver

WAG-4 dish thingy

Any idea what nipple driver I need for Sapim polyax brass nipples?
Searcing the ole tool box I found a SW15 and SW19...I think I used these on my Campag wheels.

Do I need the micrometers or just eyeball it?

Nothing else I need?

TIA

Last edited by jideta; 07-31-19 at 02:38 AM.
Old 07-31-19, 03:09 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
That's a good start

Will you be building for customers professionally, or just your own wheels? Your listed equipment isn't cheap, and there's plenty of opportunity to save money if it's not going to be a major offering from you. OTOH, if you're offering professional builds, a gauge tensiometer like wheel fanatyk's can help you dial in absolute tension. A dish stick is good for getting dish dialed in to under a millimeter quickly, but not necessary with a stand that also centers. You'll need to decide about the micrometer. Spoke lengths can tolerate some variation, but performing your own quality control on spoke gauge can help you even tension out easily, and build wheels that stay true longer.

IMO the aids all exist to make the job easier and therefore faster. If time is money, saving time is worth a few extra bucks.

Last edited by Unca_Sam; 07-31-19 at 09:17 AM.
Old 07-31-19, 08:18 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 858 Times in 487 Posts
This is professional quality stuff.

I've built plenty of wheels with nothing but a spoke wrench and flathead screwdriver. Some were very good wheels. I now use a Park clone I got for $150. It came with better wrenches than Park makes.

I've never had any structural problems -spoke breakage, dish, cracking, or ovals.

If I was selling rims, I'd use better tools so I could justify to the customer the price. I don't think all those tools will make your wheels any better once you get the hang of it.
Old 07-31-19, 08:31 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
^ +1. Spoke wrench and flathead screwdriver are the only essential tools, but nice tools are satisfying to use.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 07-31-19, 08:45 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
I'd call or email the place you're ordering from and ask about the spoke wrench that fits the Sapim nipple you want.

FWIW, the Park Master spoke wrench (SW-20.2 or 22.2) is much nicer than the SW-0 and its cousins, IME.
Old 07-31-19, 09:33 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
I've been using a $30 cheapo stand for 30 years. An equally cheap dishing tool that I modified so I no longer have to remover the QR or track nut. The colored Park spoke wrenches. I did buy a Park tensioner but matching the pitch of similarly spoked good wheels works just as well. Made a spoke starter from the threaded half of a spoke, screwing a nipple on backwards tightly (so about three threads stick out; just enough to thread nipples on) and bending a loop handle.

All this probably costs less than the OP's most expensive item.
Old 07-31-19, 09:38 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by jideta
Taking a big bite!

Okay, so I'm gonna order this:

TS 2.2 stand

TSB-2.2 base

TM-1 tensioner

ND-1 driver

WAG-4 dish thingy

Any idea what nipple driver I need for Sapim polyax brass nipples?
Searcing the ole tool box I found a SW15 and SW19...I think I used these on my Campag wheels.

Do I need the micrometers or just eyeball it?

Nothing else I need?

TIA
So...are you starting your own shop, or are you the kind of sort that buys a plasma cutter at the first opportunity just to buy it?

The TM1 is honestly a waste of money. Park should stop even selling it. For the money there are far better tension gauges out there--shoot for $80 you can build your own digital one that will be most accurate and precise both short and long term.
Old 07-31-19, 10:50 AM
jideta

Okay, I found a cheaper stand on Amazon.

Just the stand and the nipple driver for now.

Maybe the Wheel Fanatyk tension gauge.
Old 07-31-19, 10:56 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
To add, I've never used one of those dishing tools. Generally, you can flip the wheel around in the stand, or use soup cans on a table, to determine whether the wheel is centered.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 07-31-19, 11:11 AM
Metaluna

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO, Gunnar Sport, Soma Saga, Workswell WCBR-146

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Keep in mind that cheaper stands will be flexier. Not a big deal if you know how to avoid it, but this is one of those cases where a pro quality tool can sometimes actually be better for a beginner who doesn't have the experience to know how to compensate for a tool's weaknesses. That said, the Park TS-2.2 is big, expensive, and takes up a lot of space so if you aren't going to have a permanent place to put it, something cheaper that folds up nicely might be better. Just don't touch the rim when taking a reading or you'll have a hard time truing up a wheel on a flexy stand.

And if I could only have a stand, a spoke wrench, and one more tool, it certainly wouldn't be a nipple driver (it would be a tensiometer without question). I have the classic Bicycle Research Tools nipple driver, and it usually gets the spokes way too tight for this stage of the build. The probe that sets the depth of the spoke in the nipple should really be about twice as long, and the Park ND-1 doesn't look any better. I size my spokes on the short side though (i.e. bottom of the screwdriver slot). If you err on the long side so that you have a thread or two of spoke sticking out of the top of the nipple when you're done, then the nipple drivers might work better.

P.S. One tool you forgot about is a spoke ruler. Very handy for double-checking the length of new spokes, especially when ordering custom-cut spokes.

Last edited by Metaluna; 07-31-19 at 11:17 AM.
Old 07-31-19, 11:16 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
The TM1 is honestly a waste of money. Park should stop even selling it. For the money there are far better tension gauges out there--shoot for $80 you can build your own digital one that will be most accurate and precise both short and long term.
I can't agree with this TM-1 assessment. Using the TM-1 on wheels I build/rebuild has meant going from monthly truing checks to annual touch-ups for me over the last ten years. I broke a spoke last year -- or maybe it was the year before, or the year before that. The TM-1 is the least expensive tensiometer I've seen on the market. It was worth every penny I spent on it (although mine was on sale for $50, IIRC). No, it's not a Fanatyk way to spend four C-notes, but it's a decent tool giving decent results at a decent price.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 07-31-19, 11:38 AM
Metaluna

Originally Posted by pdlamb
I can't agree with this TM-1 assessment. Using the TM-1 on wheels I build/rebuild has meant going from monthly truing checks to annual touch-ups for me over the last ten years. I broke a spoke last year -- or maybe it was the year before, or the year before that. The TM-1 is the least expensive tensiometer I've seen on the market. It was worth every penny I spent on it (although mine was on sale for $50, IIRC). No, it's not a Fanatyk way to spend four C-notes, but it's a decent tool giving decent results at a decent price.
I've had good results with the TM-1 over the years. When I bought mine it was probably around $40-50, but $80 is getting a little ridiculous for a tool of this style.

By the way, the Wheel Fanatyk tensiometer just had a significant price drop due to them switching to a cheaper indicator (apparently the one they were using was discontinued). It's still around 3x the price of the Park, though. Like the TM-1, I'm sure there are knockoffs that are much cheaper (the Wheel Fanatyk gauge is itself a well-executed implementation of the Jobst Brandt design, which they openly acknowledge)
Old 07-31-19, 12:09 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
I like this one. https://www.wheelfanatyk.com/store/pk-lie-spoke-wrench/
Old 07-31-19, 12:13 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Agree. Plus, my TM-1 had a scraping noise (the frame was a little off) and their customer service was tops. Also: the TM-1 is probably now the most popular tension-meter, and so presumably you can compare tensions more accurately.
Old 07-31-19, 02:00 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
I'm one of the misers who built my first wheels with zero investment. I used an old frame for a stand, made a pretty nice dishing tool from a piece of bed frame and some spare hardware, and used the spoke wrench I already had. For my second set of wheels I bought a nipple driver for less than $10, and I thought that was worth it. (Those were 40-spoke wheels.)

I have a pretty good musical ear, and even with access to a tension meter now I don't use it much.
Old 07-31-19, 07:34 PM
jideta

I ended up popping for the Park stand.

Also ordered the Wheel Fanatyk gauge.

So from what I've been reading, no need the dish gauge as long as stand is centered?

First job: re build my Campag wheels.
Old 08-01-19, 10:40 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Good luck with it! I feel bad in a way I suggested the wheel fanatyck tension meter because of the cost. I would be strongly considering a side business building and repairing wheels for that money. You're just missing a spoke cutter and threader for your custom wheel shop .
I understand spoke tension is important for the strength of the wheel, but also that there's a wide range of acceptable values for tension. After the wheel firms up, relative tension is more important than absolute values, since you'll be in the acceptable tension range then. A cheaper consistent gauge is adequate for the job for my own wheels.

Good luck in your endeavor, I hope it ends up being a rewarding experience!
Old 08-01-19, 11:01 AM
davidad

Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
I prefer the dishing tool for the final touch.
Old 08-01-19, 11:07 AM
jideta

Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
Good luck with it! I feel bad in a way I suggested the wheel fanatyck tension meter because of the cost. I would be strongly considering a side business building and repairing wheels for that money. You're just missing a spoke cutter and threader for your custom wheel shop .
I understand spoke tension is important for the strength of the wheel, but also that there's a wide range of acceptable values for tension. After the wheel firms up, relative tension is more important than absolute values, since you'll be in the acceptable tension range then. A cheaper consistent gauge is adequate for the job for my own wheels.

Good luck in your endeavor, I hope it ends up being a rewarding experience!
No worries.
If I didn't know about it, I would have eventually and bought it anyways.
All my other tools are Snap On. I'm just like that.
Old 08-01-19, 11:08 AM
jideta

Originally Posted by davidad
I prefer the dishing tool for the final touch.
I'm pretty sure I'll eventually end up with one.
Old 08-01-19, 11:19 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I made this nifty nipple driver out of an old screwdriver and a file handle, and I use two stacks of poker chips on the table for my dishing tool.
Likes For kingston:
Old 08-01-19, 11:53 AM
Metaluna

So from what I've been reading, no need the dish gauge as long as stand is centered?

You don't really even need to center the stand. You just need to reference the rim to one of the two caliper arms (take your pick). Then flip the wheel over and see if the other side of the rim is the same distance from that same indicator. In fact, most of the time with "dual-sided" stands like the Park, the second arm just gets in the way so a lot of users jam a spare spoke wrench into the pivot on the unused arm to keep it as far away from the rim as possible (you can also remove it entirely, it's just one bolt I think). Otherwise the second arm is always bumping into the rim early on in the truing process when the dish and lateral true are still way off.

In fact, there's even a build method (described by Wheel Fanatyk in his blog, IIRC) that relies on keeping the dish way off to the drive side until late in the process. Having the wheel centered over the drive side hub flange is supposed to make radial truing much easier, plus keeps the DS tension relatively low for most of the process. Then you finish off the wheel by tensioning the NDS spokes and pulling the rim to the center. Or maybe it's the other way around. Anyway, I've never tried it but it sounds interesting.

A nipple driver with a usefully long, or adjustable, depth gauge should help keep the wheel relatively straight from the start and hopefully would minimize this problem. I've been eyeing the Problem Solvers one that Wheel Fanatyk sells (I also occasionally get close to impulse buying their tensiometer but so far have been able to stop myself ).

Last edited by Metaluna; 08-01-19 at 12:11 PM.
Old 08-01-19, 12:42 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
The stand SHOULD be centered at the factory, but you can check this. Put in a reasonably good (should be true, doesn't have to be dished exactly) wheel and adjust the arms that indicate the rim. Note the distances on each side. Then flip the wheel and again, note the distances. If they are consistent (that is, you have a 4mm gap on the right, and a 6mm gap on the left, and you get the same 4mmR and 6mmL gaps when you flip the wheel) then the wheel is dished ok. If they are consistent and the distances are the same(e.g. 4mmR and 4mmL), then the wheel is is dished ok, and your TS-2 is centered. If the left and right gaps change when you flip the wheel but are mirror images (4mm L and 6mmR changes to 4mmR and 6mmL) then the wheel is not dished right but your TS-2 is ok. If the gaps are neither consistent nor mirror images, you need to do a little math to center the TM-2.

Or your can spring for the Park centering gauge for truing stands. About 80 bucks. I did, and found out that my centering job had been 1mm off. But you're not supposed to use the TS to get the exact dish.

You should be able to create a dish gage with some pieces of wood (1x2 works) and some all-thread with matching washers and nuts. A long enough piece of wood to span the rim, with spacer blocks glued and/or screwed to the ends to give you spacing. Then you drill a hole in the center and install the all-thread (threaded rod) with washers and nuts. In fact, if you drill your hole a little small, your all-thread will probably form threads when you install it. I scored an old VAR WAG-1 dishing tool for cheap (below).

I recently inherited a wheel my step-dad made. He used his own dishing tool (of the blocks of wood variety), and centered the wheel in a frame. It was spot-on center, true, and had all the spokes with nearly identical tension. You've kind of got the Ford F-150 of truing stands (the Rolls Royce is the DT Swiss model but it costs 2 grand). Your model will give you excellent results for a long time.

Last edited by WizardOfBoz; 08-01-19 at 01:59 PM.
Old 08-01-19, 12:53 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
The dish gauge is definitely a nice to have rather than a need to have tool. Depending on your truing stand for perfect, or even adequate, dishing is something I don't do.
Old 08-01-19, 01:06 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz

You've kind of got the Ford F-150 of truing stands (the Rolls Royce is the DT Swiss model but it costs 2 grand). Your model will give you excellent results for a long time.
What's the P&K Lie stand then, a Koenigsegg?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.