Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Thru axle loosening?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Thru axle loosening?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-19, 06:17 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
Thru axle loosening?

A friend told me that his front thru axle loosened on a ride this weekend. The wheel cocked enough that the disc brake grabbed. Fortunately he was going uphill and was able to get a foot down. He also related that another friend had a front axle come completely out. The wheel stayed in the fork and he was able to backtrack and find the axle in the road. One was the Allen key style, the other had the lever. I searched online and found a few discussions but no consensus as to what caused it. Precession and thread direction were mentioned but it was pointed out that nothing should actually be bearing and rotating on the axle. Is this becoming common? Something to be concerned about?
Old 08-12-19, 06:32 PM
rayooo

Bikes: Superfly-9.6, Domane-4.5 Emonda-SLR 9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
hmm, 4 bikes for me so far with thru axles. no issues with loosening whatsoever over many years. Maybe someone else can shed more light on this.
Old 08-12-19, 06:33 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
The bearing cones or cartridges bear on the thru axle, don't they? If not, were does the weight they are supporting go to get to the frame? If the bearing grease dries up or the cones are too tight so the bearing is no longer running freely, then the torque would be transmittted to the through axle, applying a torque in the opposite direction as would be transmitted by properly lubed bearings and in a direction the thru axle might not be designed to handle. (Pedals and English bottom brackets are designed to screw in tighter with the forces transmitted by the bearings. If your pedal bearings go bad, the pedal unscrews and falls out (unless you "honk
on that wrench at installation in which case your ankle unscrews and falls off).

Ben
Old 08-12-19, 07:52 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
The bearing cones or cartridges bear on the thru axle, don't they? If not, were does the weight they are supporting go to get to the frame?
Don't know. I only have one bike with thru axle, so not an expert. It looks as if the ends of the hubs sit in shallow indents in the fork. The axle pulls everything tight. The axle shows no sign of anything moving on it, no wear marks.
Old 08-12-19, 08:05 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Thru-axles need adequate torque, as with any fastener. Generally 10-12Nm AFAIK. The bolt-head axles are better because you can put a torque wrench on them ofc.

Never seen one loosen-while-riding happen myself.
Old 08-12-19, 10:56 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
I did have my front thru axle start working loose last year. I felt the play in the front wheel when it was slightly loose, there was still lots of thread in the fork so the wheel was not anywhere near falling out. I’ve taken care to torque it sufficiently ever since and have had no more issues.
Old 08-13-19, 09:23 AM
Eggman84

Bikes: 2014 Bruce Gordon Rock&Road, 1995 Santana Visa Tandem, 1990 Trek 520, 2012 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts
And there I was thinking one of the reasons bike manufacturers went to thru axles (at least on front wheels) was they wouldn't loosen when used with disk brakes (unlike with QR where wheel ejection was a well researched/documented occurrence). Maybe your friend is not following the proper procedures. Lots of you-tube videos saying how to setup thru axles (one being
). Also, if I am not mistaken one of the safety checks before each ride is checking your QRs/thru axles (if parked in public a passerby may have maliciously loosened them). Of course I don't follow this suggestion my self.
Likes For Eggman84:
Old 08-14-19, 05:05 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Thanks all. It seems nothing is going on beyond user error
Old 08-14-19, 03:26 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Thru-axle assemblies are rather stupidly designed, since there is nothing providing an actual definite position of the parts. The axle has to be a loose fit in the hub to allow easy, hands-only installation. So the rider end up having to rely on the end caps of the hub being pinched between two parallel surfaces as the sole mechanism keeping the wheel positioned.
What happens is that applying the brake causes a downward force on the axle, and riding causes an upward force on the axle. In the absence of a definite centering feature, a TA that hasn’t been closed with sufficient force will allow the wheel to move (ever so little) up & down, as dictated by how loosely the axle fits in the hub.
One trick that might help is to tighten the TA with the wheel off the ground. That way, the slack is taken out and the wheel is already resting against a definite reference.
Brake forces can’t move it any further, and w/o jostling, there’s far less going on that can cause the axle to unscrew.
Old 08-15-19, 08:08 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
Thru-axle assemblies are rather stupidly designed, since there is nothing providing an actual definite position of the parts. The axle has to be a loose fit in the hub to allow easy, hands-only installation. So the rider end up having to rely on the end caps of the hub being pinched between two parallel surfaces as the sole mechanism keeping the wheel positioned.
What happens is that applying the brake causes a downward force on the axle, and riding causes an upward force on the axle. In the absence of a definite centering feature, a TA that hasn’t been closed with sufficient force will allow the wheel to move (ever so little) up & down, as dictated by how loosely the axle fits in the hub.
One trick that might help is to tighten the TA with the wheel off the ground. That way, the slack is taken out and the wheel is already resting against a definite reference.
Brake forces can’t move it any further, and w/o jostling, there’s far less going on that can cause the axle to unscrew.
Another trick is to just tighten the TA properly and not have any issues. It ain’t rocket science.

I think it is a stretch to call the TA a stupid design due to what happens if it is not properly tightened. It is a whole heck of a lot better than what happens when you don’t tighten a 9mm QR.

The reality out on the road and trail is that TAs do a perfectly good job of keeping the hub exactly where it needs to be, and are actually better than QR at getting disc calipers and rotors to consistently line up after wheel changes.
Old 08-15-19, 08:34 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Looks like there are some things you just can't idiot-proof.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 08-15-19, 02:56 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Originally Posted by Kapusta
The reality out on the road and trail is that TAs do a perfectly good job of keeping the hub exactly where it needs to be, and are actually better than QR at getting disc calipers and rotors to consistently line up after wheel changes.
+1 Years ago I had a bike with disc and a QR. Never again. The thru axle I have now requires that I loosen it slightly to close the lever. Seems iffy to me so I probably should replace it with the Allen key type.
Old 08-15-19, 03:10 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
+1 Years ago I had a bike with disc and a QR. Never again. The thru axle I have now requires that I loosen it slightly to close the lever. Seems iffy to me so I probably should replace it with the Allen key type.
I don't know what kind of TA you have, but some designs you can adjust how much it tightens as you close the lever.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 08-15-19, 03:14 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
True. Idiocy is like a thin liquid that will find its way through the tiniest of cracks.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 08-15-19, 06:56 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
My current bike came with DT Swiss RWS axles which I really like. Huge step up from my previous bike with disc/QR combo.

I do a decent almost daily of the most god awful chip sealed road you can imagine and they have never loosened one bit even though a bunch of other things on the bike have had to be Loc-Tited and re-torqued.

That being said, if I ever replace my current axles I'm going with these:

The Robert Axle Project

Last edited by August West; 08-15-19 at 06:59 PM.
Old 08-17-19, 07:14 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
People tried. I have a Fox fork which has a QR clamp on each side, just to prevent the TA from loosening. Pretty much belt, suspenders, duct tape and super-glue at that point.
Old 10-14-20, 02:26 AM
rphvv@live.nl

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My bolt type tru axle of my back wheel came loose 2 times in the last 3 months
(I often ride more then a thousand km a week on a gravel bike loaded up with everything I own riding lots off gravel and other intens train)

Last edited by rphvv@live.nl; 10-14-20 at 03:08 AM.
Old 10-14-20, 02:53 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
A friend of mine had the bolt type rear thru axle come totally loose on a Stumpjumper while riding. I'm not sure if it was tightened properly though.

I've seen a few thru axle designs I don't like as they seem less secure: for example the rear one on my Canyon Grand Canyon. On the other hand, there are others that I feel are extremely safe, especially Suntour's Q-Loc seems to me like an outstanding solution: even if it gets fully loose, the axle can't go anywhere.
Old 10-14-20, 07:31 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
As noted the tightening torque spec for bolt-type thru-axles is quite high. Surly's torque spec for the thru-axles on my new Midnight Special is 16 N-m which is a lot tighter than anyone would apply with a standard 5 mm allen key without a torque wrench as guidance. I expect the loosening stories are from inadequate torque since "snug" isn't nearly enough.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 10-14-20, 09:24 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
The bearing cones or cartridges bear on the thru axle, don't they? If not, were does the weight they are supporting go to get to the frame? If the bearing grease dries up or the cones are too tight so the bearing is no longer running freely, then the torque would be transmittted to the through axle, applying a torque in the opposite direction as would be transmitted by properly lubed bearings and in a direction the thru axle might not be designed to handle. (Pedals and English bottom brackets are designed to screw in tighter with the forces transmitted by the bearings. If your pedal bearings go bad, the pedal unscrews and falls out (unless you "honk
on that wrench at installation in which case your ankle unscrews and falls off).

Ben
The bearings don't interact directly with the TA, which essentially plays the same role as a QR skewer. It provides the clamping force for the axle, which is stationary, as the axle ends are clamped against the inside faces of the fork ends/dropouts. The hub, supported by bearings, rotates around the axle. There should be no rotating force acting on the TA that would cause it to unscrew, as it's isolated from the only rotating component (the hub) by the bearings

Last edited by Litespud; 10-14-20 at 09:29 AM.
Old 10-14-20, 02:00 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

I haven't heard any more local loose axle stories. Maybe folks are learning that they do need to be properly tightened. I ordered one from Robert Axle Project. A nice product, could be cranked down w/o the fiddly QR type lever which would spin before the thing was fully threaded. I think my OEM axle was defective from the start. Sometime during the year since this thread was begun a guy came on BF with the theory that we were all torquing our axles too tight He had a half dozen threads about torque values with and w/o grease, grease vs anti-seize, on and on. He's disappeared but was running hard with this foolishness for several weeks.
Old 10-15-20, 03:30 AM
rphvv@live.nl

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe but my axle states 8 nm should be enough
(8-14 Nm)
Old 07-01-21, 11:15 AM
dcsmith926

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi all, I recently purchased a Trek Domane AL 2, have ridden for maybe ~150 miles so far. Anyway this morning this exact thing happened to me, my front thru axle came loose. Didn't fall out or anything but the wheel started to wobble. Luckily I was on a flat, calm section of road. But damn if I was flying down a hill when that happened...

All I can assume is that either the bike shop did not adequately tighten it (they seemed pretty professional tho), or somebody maliciously untightened it/attempted to steal wheel...? It's the bolt type, torque spec is 10 Nm. I hand retightened it and rode back slowly lol. Guess I should invest in a torque wrench
Old 07-01-21, 11:26 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
I bet the spring is either broken, bound from losing its sprung ability, or both. Take apart the cam head & it should reveal the reasoning.
Old 07-02-21, 06:32 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
A friend recently had his front thru axle come loose on a descent, and he narrowly avoided a crash. I didn't see the problem first hand, and am not familiar with his bike, but he blames user error.

Just as I see a lot of people using a QR lever as a wing nut of sorts, and see backward conical springs, I suppose there are just as many who don't understand their TA systems. I call it ignorance, not idiocy. People get it when you show them how to do it, and explain how important a secure front wheel is.
Likes For andrewclaus:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.