Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Replace old component group on 1995 MTB?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 08-15-19, 12:08 AM
cbscout

Bikes: Cannondale CAADX Tiagra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi, I have an old 1995 Schwinn Sierra MTB that I'd like to modify somewhat. The component group on it is Shimano Exage 400 LX 7-speed with STI shifting. The brakes and shifters and such are all plastic and thus are really worn and I've even thought about replacing the Biopace crankset and possibly the whole drivetrain. I'll be giving it to someone else to use, and because of all the wear and tear (I've beat this thing up over the years - crashes, hard riding, etc.), I'd like it to be safe and easy to ride.

My question is, how do I pick a component group that will work correctly on this frame? I'm assuming that I can't just go buy a modern component group and install it, as the ones I've seen seem to be at least 9 speed. I would also like to find a group (even if I have to buy an older groupset) where the brakes and shifters are more sturdy than the cheap plastic that is on there now.

Also, it has 26" wheels. I appreciate any thoughts that you have.
Old 08-15-19, 01:28 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
If somebody else had replaced all of the parts you are considering and wanted to sell that bike to you, how much would you be willing to pay? Don't put any more money than that into it.

Honestly, what you are suggesting sounds to me like a recipe for converting a cheap old bike into an expensive old bike that has a few new parts.
Old 08-15-19, 05:11 AM
AeroGut

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
Is there any co-op or nonprofit bike shop near you? I would try looking for cheap used parts that are in better condition than what you have, rather than buying new stuff. They can also help you figure out what really needs to be replaced vs just cleaned and regreased.
Old 08-15-19, 05:47 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
Ditto the co-op suggestion. Without looking at the condition of the headset, hubs and bottom bracket as well as shifters and brakes, it's really hard to tell what it might need.

Upgrading the rear wheel may require bending the frame and straightening the dropouts, which requires special tools and skills. You're probably stuck with a threaded headset. But upgrading to linear pull brakes and nicer shifters could be a good idea and economical, especially with good salvaged parts.
Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 08-15-19, 08:16 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
I'm going to post my usual "don't do it" recommendation. That Schwinn was a low line, cheap MTB when it was brand new and 24 years haven't made it any better. For what you will have to spend to modernize it you could pay a significant amount toward a far newer, more modern bike with better components. Craigslist usually has relatively new MTBs for sale at very attractive prices.

Unless you can find better components very cheap at a Co-Op and can do all the work yourself, this project can become a money pit for little gain.
Old 08-15-19, 01:48 PM
cbscout

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AeroGut
...I would try looking for cheap used parts that are in better condition than what you have, rather than buying new stuff...
I would definitely prefer to buy used parts that are in decent condition - don't want to pay too much for sure.

Originally Posted by HillRider
I'm going to post my usual "don't do it" recommendation. That Schwinn was a low line, cheap MTB when it was brand new and 24 years haven't made it any better. ...
Unless you can find better components very cheap at a Co-Op and can do all the work yourself, this project can become a money pit for little gain.
LOL. When I bought that bike, it was the end-all for me, as I could barely afford it and it was the most expensive bike I had ever owned - got it on sale for $450. But what you say is true - it was not a high-end bike and it could be a money pit if I don't do it right. This might be a project best discarded and find a deal on Craigslist.
Old 08-15-19, 01:54 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1786 Post(s)
Liked 1,259 Times in 868 Posts
I can't find a 95, but the 93 & 94 Sierra's had Tange CR MO or Double Butted CR MO frames.
GOOD steel.
IF you are simply just giving this bike away, just service the rotating bearings & cables. Maybe new cables & housins if warranted.
Clean & relube. Maybe flush out the DER's.
See how it performs then before investing more $.
EXAGE was decent quality. If not worn out, it should perform fine. I think it's Deore level if not actually Deore of that era.
Old 08-15-19, 02:06 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Shimano Alivio 3x9 drivetrain for $160:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mountain-Bi...-/253374039337

Or Acera for $140:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SHIMANO-ACE...T/263789700602

Or you can spend more time shopping and get higher level but used components.

I'm pretty sure almost any 3x9 mountain bike drivetrain will work on a 90s era mountain bike.

Last edited by tyrion; 08-15-19 at 02:10 PM.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 08-15-19, 04:19 PM
cbscout

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
I can't find a 95, but the 93 & 94 Sierra's had Tange CR MO or Double Butted CR MO frames.
GOOD steel.
IF you are simply just giving this bike away, just service the rotating bearings & cables. Maybe new cables & housins if warranted.
Clean & relube. Maybe flush out the DER's.
See how it performs then before investing more $.
EXAGE was decent quality. If not worn out, it should perform fine. I think it's Deore level if not actually Deore of that era.
Thanks. I am giving it away, but a couple of the parts are bad enough to warrant replacement, and the rest pretty worn, so that's why I was thinking of replacing some of the worn stuff, too (although now I will probably only do what is necessary). I just want her to be safe on it. Exage was a level below Deore. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on some older Deore components.

I do appreciate everyone's input.
Old 08-15-19, 04:34 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 612 Posts
AIR, the High Sierra was made in Japan and a relatively high-quality bike. Mine (with a 1500w electric system) has a combined TIG and Filet-brazed frame. I've had good luck with Altus-level rear derailleurs, cassettes and rear shifter ($20, $20, $10, respectively at Amazon). However, if you need to procure a new crank, I would consider a low end Shimano in order to keep the overall cost reasonable.
Likes For 2old: