Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Why did Titanium not take off amongst Pros?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Why did Titanium not take off amongst Pros?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-19, 01:58 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
People notice a titanium frame because they know you spent a lot of money on it. That doesn't mean they want one. Middle aged guys who are serious cyclists but not that fast like them because they last a long time, and they can build them with a comfortable geometry, and S&S couplers. At least that's why I have one.
Likes For kingston:
Old 08-16-19, 02:12 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Titanium is expensive and requires specialized skills to work with. Carbon fiber is a much cheaper, lighter, and more versatile material.
cost to the end-user of either material frame can be about the same (eg. Lynskey road Ti framesets start about $1,250), but the important part is that there's much much more room for mark-up available to the manufacturer with CF. Which is of course why Trek/Spesh etc. offer nothing in this material, as it would compete with their higher profit CF lineup.
Old 08-16-19, 02:19 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22578 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Same here. I am wearing shorts in the office.
Shorts, not bibs??
Old 08-16-19, 02:27 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18398 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Shorts, not bibs??
Khaki NOT BIBS.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-16-19, 02:46 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Banzai
lust for a new steel roadie
I'm starting to.

It feels really weird.

-Tim-
Old 08-16-19, 02:55 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Many of those pros had them painted to look like the steel frameset from their team's sponser, but they were usually made by Merlin or Litespeed.
We have a winner! At one time, it was relatively rare for a pro rider's frameset to actually be manufactured by the brand whose logo was painted on the bike. And some of those disguised custom framesets were made of titanium. (Among others, Greg Lemond and Lance Armstrong are reputed to have ridden disguised Litespeeds in the TdF. It was once rumored that "Bianchi" was Italian for "Litespeed in drag".)

Last edited by FlashBazbo; 08-16-19 at 03:03 PM.
Likes For FlashBazbo:
Old 08-16-19, 03:32 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
People notice a titanium frame because they know you spent a lot of money on it. Middle aged guys who are serious cyclists but not that fast like them because they last a long time, and they can build them with a comfortable geometry, and S&S couplers. At least that's why I have one.
In 1997 I had my choice of titanium (Litespeed), carbon fiber (Look), or steel (various) for about the same price.

I opted for titanium with no paint to chip. My titanium frame still looks better after 22 years than my last steel frame did 8.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 08-16-19 at 03:36 PM.
Likes For Drew Eckhardt:
Old 08-16-19, 03:44 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
I am the odd guy out. I am not a pro rider or ever were even close. I am not a doctor, dentist, or even a lawyer but wow I like my titanium Habanero. It weighs about 1 pound more than my Wilier but I could swap wheels and it would be close. It rides smoother and livelier than the CF and much, much quieter. That is the real thing I notice. My Ti makes no sound at all and CF bikes tend to make much more racket over bumps and bumpy roads.

I think it is the cleric in me...…….we deacons might need to preach a bit so noise gets in the way during a ride. But on the serious side Ti can be had at a really good price now I think, look at Lynskey.
Likes For deacon mark:
Old 08-16-19, 03:52 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark
I am the odd guy out. I am not a pro rider or ever were even close. I am not a doctor, dentist, or even a lawyer but wow I like my titanium Habanero. It weighs about 1 pound more than my Wilier but I could swap wheels and it would be close. It rides smoother and livelier than the CF and much, much quieter. That is the real thing I notice. My Ti makes no sound at all and CF bikes tend to make much more racket over bumps and bumpy roads.

I think it is the cleric in me...…….we deacons might need to preach a bit so noise gets in the way during a ride. But on the serious side Ti can be had at a really good price now I think, look at Lynskey.
I notice that my titanium Veritas is also very quiet. It makes riding the ruts by the white line much more tolerable.
Old 08-16-19, 07:37 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Does this mean that Ti bikes do not have buzzy rear hubs. People keep talking about how quiet they are.
Old 08-16-19, 09:54 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Does this mean that Ti bikes do not have buzzy rear hubs. People keep talking about how quiet they are.
They have to be quiet because the sonic waves from a noisy hub will crack the titanium welds. The solution is to always keep pedalling of course. The numerous reports of Ti failures are due to the lazy riders freewheeling.
Old 08-17-19, 07:38 AM
MyTi
6-4 Titanium

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Simple answer is in this question: When did pros get to choose what they ride.
Likes For MyTi:
Old 08-17-19, 08:56 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
None of them are Cervelos, however, so I think they're going to yank his license.
You have to be a dev at Microsoft to own a Cervelo.
Old 08-17-19, 08:59 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Same here. I am wearing shorts in the office.
I've worn bib shorts to meetings. But I work from home and we do Skype meetings. (Actually Teams, basically the same thing.)
Old 08-17-19, 10:10 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10151 Post(s)
Liked 5,843 Times in 3,147 Posts
Met an intramural Branch Chief from the National Cancer Institute on my ride this morning. Yep...
Old 08-18-19, 01:56 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
I ride a Merlin from about 2001. Massachusetts Merlin before Litespeed bought them. 18 years later it looks as good as it did new. Very comfortable and no, I am not a doctor or lawyer. You can buy a new Lynskey for a lot less than a better carbon frame. I also own and ride a carbon Orbea Orca. The Orca is a little bit lighter and feels a little bit stiffer but on the same 35 mile course, both will give me about the same ride time. I am not racing them. You don't have to spend the money on a Moots to have a nice titanium frameset.
Old 08-18-19, 06:06 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Fox Farm
I ride a Merlin from about 2001. Massachusetts Merlin before Litespeed bought them.
FYI.. 2001 Merlins were the first model year from the Chattanooga-relocated company that bought them (done in 2000 by American Bicycle Group, nee JHK Investments). Same parent company owner of Litespeed. fwiw, from 1998-2000, Merlin was owned by Saucony (the running shoe company).
Old 08-18-19, 06:47 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by MyTi
Simple answer is in this question: When did pros get to choose what they ride.
Never, but the ads always make it look as if they do. And I guess if you won the TDF last year and are looking for a new team, there's some choice involved, but I doubt which frame material and component groups a given team rides would carry much weight in deciding which team to ride for.

The only exception would be when a rider has a custom frame built up, and then painted in his team colors to make it look like the bikes frames the rest of the team rides. But you'll never see that rider making a big deal of the fact, fans aren't supposed to notice things like that.
Old 08-18-19, 10:23 AM
DrDyno

Bikes: 2007 Quiring Ti + 2014 Focus Izalco + 2009 Dynamic Synergy + 80's Bottecchia w/105 Crank Set + 2010 Jamis Commuter-4 + 1999 GT Slipstream Hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Ti starts out expensive...

Top Titanium Producing Countries in order:

1. China
2. Russia
3. Japan
4. Kazakhstan
5. Ukraine
6. India
Old 08-18-19, 11:42 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11954 Post(s)
Liked 6,610 Times in 3,469 Posts
Originally Posted by brianmcg123
Plus, it’s not a good business model to make bikes that “last forever”, as titanium seems to do.
So the CF people learned from their mistakes and took the exact opposite approach.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 08-18-19, 11:48 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Originally Posted by znomit
They have to be quiet because the sonic waves from a noisy hub will crack the titanium welds. The solution is to always keep pedalling of course. The numerous reports of Ti failures are due to the lazy riders freewheeling.
Give it a rest already. Every thread does not have to be a troll thread.

When I say a quiet ride what I am referring to is more of the plush, muted ride that titanium frames offer. I never mentioned anything about a noisy freehub. I ride old school Dura Ace 7700 hubs on my titanium Veritas and they have a pretty silent freewheeling ratchet sound. But again, I was referring to a ride characteristic of a titanium frame in contrast to, say - a very stiff oversized aluminum frame.
Old 08-18-19, 11:51 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
The riders at the very top do have a choice on what they ride. The rest just have to follow along. Specialized openly stated that would do whatever it takes ($$) to keep Sagan riding their bikes after Saxo Bank folded. I have also heard that the Trek frames in Lance’s size were a bit oddball because they were designed to fit Lance. I remember an interview with Michael Jordan where he was asked if he really liked Air Jordans. He said that Nike designs them to his exact specifications, so what’s not to like?

Last edited by colnago62; 08-18-19 at 12:53 PM.
Old 08-18-19, 11:53 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
FYI.. 2001 Merlins were the first model year from the Chattanooga-relocated company that bought them (done in 2000 by American Bicycle Group, nee JHK Investments). Same parent company owner of Litespeed. fwiw, from 1998-2000, Merlin was owned by Saucony (the running shoe company).
Good history summary. The frame is actually a 2000 model and not one of the ABG frames, but the Saucony (we called them Massachusetts Merlins) frames.
Old 08-18-19, 12:06 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Originally Posted by MyTi
When did pros get to choose what they ride.
BITD, the top pros could insist on a frame from a custom builder, but it would be re-badged to look like the sponsor's bike. Masis, De Rosas, etc. would be painted and decaled as Peugeots, Gitanes, etc. whoever the team sponsor was.

Now the pros ride off the shelf frames from their sponsor.
Old 08-19-19, 10:26 AM
SCTinkering

Bikes: 2020 T-Lab X-3 w/GRX Di2, 2018 Trek FX-5S with GRX/Xt 1x drive train

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
You have to be a dev at Microsoft to own a Cervelo.
Can confirm. At least two devs/engineers at my location in Sunnyvale commute on Cervelo. I slum it with my 16 year old Ti or even my Trek Gravel bike.

Originally Posted by brianmcg123
Plus, it’s not a good business model to make bikes that “last forever”, as titanium seems to do.
Can also confirm based on the fact that my 16 year old Ti with updated components, carbon fork w/disc still has an incredible ride. Pretty sure that it wouldn't be a great idea to ride a carbon bike from the same year with the same mileage as my Ti.

Last edited by SCTinkering; 08-19-19 at 10:31 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.