Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

One Man’s View Of Disc Brakes

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

One Man’s View Of Disc Brakes

Old 08-19-19, 08:27 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
The smartest thing the music instrument industry did was agree on the midi system. This allows all equipment, regardless of manufacturer to work together.
A broken standard from it's inception that is still annoying people to this day....but sure. Call it smart, by all means
Likes For Marcus_Ti:
Old 08-19-19, 08:39 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
A broken standard from it's inception that is still annoying people to this day....but sure. Call it smart, by all means
I have never heard any players complain about it. What don’t you like about it?
Old 08-19-19, 11:23 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Good video and he makes good points.
Basically disc brakes are not the best solution for all situations and the same for rim brakes.
Just got to figure out what is best for your application.
Old 08-20-19, 01:26 AM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1354 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 272 Posts
A really intelligent and well informed perspective on disc brakes for road bikes. And gutsy too: if he hopes to get a bike sponsorship for next season, he'd better get on the manufacturer bandwagon. Not even the elite level pros and their mechanics can resist the pressure from their masters. But then the purpose of racing is to satisfy the advertising needs of the bike makers and component manufacturers, and right now that need is to sell disc brake bikes to dentists.
Likes For Dave Mayer:
Old 08-20-19, 01:36 AM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1354 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 272 Posts
A critical comment in this video may have been missed as it passed by so quickly. The video was obviously made by an elite-level cyclist (racing for money) whose needs are pure performance.

The key comment was that if he is training, then he'll be on alu clinchers, and racing, carbon tubulars. Both clinchers and discs introduce significant performance penalties, due to unavoidably higher rotating mass.

In addition, carbon tubulars are a lot safer than carbon clinchers, as they handle braking heat far better, and are substantially less terrifying in the event of a rapid blowout.
Old 08-20-19, 04:42 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
There are a lot of people that shouldn't be allowed to use video cameras.
WTH does MIDI have to do with biking?
MIDI has too much delay.
Old 08-20-19, 05:35 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
I have never heard any players complain about it. What don’t you like about it?
Because...honestly...most all players know jack about anything with a PCB in it. The people to ask about MIDI aren't performers, they're audio engineers and stage techs. A player just knows it "works" or "it doesn't work".

MIDI has been extended and extended and extended again because of what wasn't included originally since 1983; and because MIDI wasn't picky, universal support for all the features wasn't demanded so some devices supported only some things...and now? There's massive inertia to do anything other that let it sit. And what is more--any overhaul has to be backwards compatible with all the 1980s hardware out there that no one is using and broke 30 years ago. There have been talks of an overhaul for a decade and a half. Still hasn't happened.

Personally, I've never been a fan of the DIN connector. Easily busted. No signal boosting when daisy chained (at least not for years with any arbitrary MIDI device). It should have been retired back 15 years ago minimum. AKA when USB was clearly the thing the universe was heading to run on....and basically all OEMs include XLR or FireWire or *gasp* USB.

In an orchestra pit not too long ago we needed to use a MIDI synth....well, because MIDI, and OEMs....the sound that was wanted wasn't in the "General MIDI" bank or even on board the synth. "No Problem" you can sideload sounds, live, from a laptop or other computer. During one of the shows--the MIDI/laptop connection crashed. Kaput. Luckily, with a hard reboot things came back during intermission.

Last edited by Marcus_Ti; 08-20-19 at 05:41 AM.
Old 08-20-19, 06:03 AM
teejaywhy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts
You asked a question and I answered.
You may have replied, but you did not answer the question.
Old 08-20-19, 06:09 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 292 Posts
Someone please, fix the spelling on the thread’s heading, it’s annoying.
Old 08-20-19, 06:13 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 292 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Um, good for him? Is there a reason that I'm supposed to care about his reasons and how he weights them more than my own? I mean, there are trade-offs either way - choose the compromise that you're most comfortable with and don't worry about whether or not that works for someone else.
I agree with you. Keep in mind, however, that if everyone followed your advice, 90% of all threads here would simply disappear.
Old 08-20-19, 06:46 AM
MyTi
6-4 Titanium

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
A really intelligent and well informed perspective on disc brakes for road bikes. And gutsy too: if he hopes to get a bike sponsorship for next season, he'd better get on the manufacturer bandwagon. Not even the elite level pros and their mechanics can resist the pressure from their masters. But then the purpose of racing is to satisfy the advertising needs of the bike makers and component manufacturers, and right now that need is to sell disc brake bikes to dentists.
The guy looks to be middle aged his chance at being a pro tour rider is long gone.

Makes no sense not to go disc brakes when buying a new bike now. Rim brakes are inferior and it’s just a fact.
Old 08-20-19, 06:51 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
I agree with you. Keep in mind, however, that if everyone followed your advice, 90% of all threads here would simply disappear.
You say that like it's a bad thing.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-20-19, 06:53 AM
rodey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MyTi
The guy looks to be middle aged his chance at being a pro tour rider is long gone.

Makes no sense not to go disc brakes when buying a new bike now. Rim brakes are inferior and it’s just a fact.
Your last sentence is completely false. Rim brakes are perfectly capable of slowing down/stopping a bicycle in most conditions.
Likes For rodey:
Old 08-20-19, 07:01 AM
rodey

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I do love this debate.

I'm in the market for a new bike right now and in shopping around, have gone back and forth a bit. I talked to the mechanic at my local shop at length.

He essentially said what most say on the regular: it depends on your riding. I told him I rarely ride in rainy conditions and he basically said that that's where it really starts to come into play. He also dispelled the myths about maintaining discs after I expressed concern over that.

Ultimately, I'm not going to let whether a bike has rim or disc brakes sway my decision given the conditions I ride in. The bike I'm leaning towards right now have direct-mount rim brakes and they felt quite nice. If I decide to get the bike with discs, so be it.
Old 08-20-19, 07:50 AM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Dick breaks are the answer to braking problems on CF rims, if we’re talking about nice road bikes that really never see crap conditions.

However, since my nice road bike has alloy rims, and also never sees crap conditions, rim brakes are just as effective. And simpler.

I have dick breaks on my wx/utility bike though.
Likes For Banzai:
Old 08-20-19, 08:13 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
I'm a big guy, and do a lot of descending, I'll keep my discs. In fact, I take my gravel bike (with road tires) when I know I'm going to do a lot of steep/long descents. I'll take the 5lb weight penalty when climbing to have the assurance of discs on the other side (my next road bike will absolutely have discs). I've done descents around here that were scary even with discs, and there were smaller guys on rim brakes with carbon wheels that had no issues, do whatever works for you.
Old 08-20-19, 09:42 AM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Banzai
I have dick breaks
Sounds painful.
Likes For Bryan C.:
Old 08-20-19, 09:46 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Um, good for him? Is there a reason that I'm supposed to care about his reasons and how he weights them more than my own? I mean, there are trade-offs either way - choose the compromise that you're most comfortable with and don't worry about whether or not that works for someone else.
I worry a little bit. When I'm in a pack that's screaming down a mountain descent with sharp switchbacks every so often, I sometimes worry about whether that rim-braked yay-hoo behind me is going to get slowed down in time. They always have. But I have sometimes altered my line in order to give them room to miss me.
Likes For FlashBazbo:
Old 08-20-19, 09:53 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Originally Posted by rodey
Your last sentence is completely false. Rim brakes are perfectly capable of slowing down/stopping a bicycle in most conditions.
So is dragging your feet.
Likes For FlashBazbo:
Old 08-20-19, 10:03 AM
rodey

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
So is dragging your feet.
Apples and oranges much?

Rim brakes have been stopping bikes effectively for years. They work. Are disc brakes superior in certain conditions? Yes. That does not make rim brakes inferior, in my opinion.
Likes For rodey:
Old 08-20-19, 10:03 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

I tried not to get involved. But let's dispel two anti-disc myths:
  • Disc brakes aren't hard to maintain. In fact, if you keep your bike long enough, cable-actuated brakes require more maintenance. Hydraulic road discs, in my experience over the last five years, require zero maintenance if set up properly. Cables eventually fray, stretch, and break. I've never had to maintain a road disc except to replace pads (the same as I would a rim brake).
  • Disc brake setups don't weigh that much more. Check the figures on last year's BMC TeamMachine. The disc brake version weighed something like 30g more than the rim brake version. 30g is nothing -- one bite off an energy bar.
Likes For FlashBazbo:
Old 08-20-19, 10:13 AM
Jack Tone 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by rodey
Apples and oranges much?

Rim brakes have been stopping bikes effectively for years. They work. Are disc brakes superior in certain conditions? Yes. That does not make rim brakes inferior, in my opinion.
Absolutely! That's why when I get a new car, it's going to have drum brakes. I don't that new complicated stuff.
Likes For Jack Tone:
Old 08-20-19, 10:18 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
I tried not to get involved. But let's dispel two anti-disc myths:
  • Disc brakes aren't hard to maintain. In fact, if you keep your bike long enough, cable-actuated brakes require more maintenance. Hydraulic road discs, in my experience over the last five years, require zero maintenance if set up properly. Cables eventually fray, stretch, and break. I've never had to maintain a road disc except to replace pads (the same as I would a rim brake).
  • Disc brake setups don't weigh that much more. Check the figures on last year's BMC TeamMachine. The disc brake version weighed something like 30g more than the rim brake version. 30g is nothing -- one bite off an energy bar.
Pfft. Facts have no place in an anti-disc thread.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 08-20-19, 10:21 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 144 Posts

:
Likes For tagaproject6:
Old 08-20-19, 10:23 AM
rodey

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jack Tone
Absolutely! That's why when I get a new car, it's going to have drum brakes. I don't that new complicated stuff.
And guess what: drum brakes will still stop your car!
Likes For rodey:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.