Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How to tighten a vintage French headset?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-19, 01:35 PM
2WheelWilly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Folks,

I'm a complete novice when it comes to bicycle mechanics, so I was hoping there'd be someone here with the knowledge to help me with a question I have. I inherited an old French bike (1970s Motobecane Grand Record) from a parent, which I use to go touring now and again. (Only major modification I've had done is replacing the old brake system.) Recently my headset has gotten loose, so I feel jiggling when I ride, especially when I brake going downhill. The headset mechanics look unorthodox, however (photo attached--hmmm, unfortunately I'm not of sufficient status to be allowed to post photos or urls), and I've had trouble attempting to tighten the headset. Is there some kind of special tool I need to do this? It seems almost like it needs a pin spanner (or something like that) but with the pins oriented another 90 degrees inward from where they would normally be on a pin spanner.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks lots.
Old 07-29-19, 01:37 PM
2WheelWilly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you want an image, if you type bit.ly into your url field, followed by /32XNXJf (no spaces) you should be able to access the picture.
Old 07-29-19, 01:47 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Pic assist:

That's often called, somewhat ironically, a "micro-adjust" headset. Loosen the top nut, then the spacer below it (the top part of the "zig-zag" assembly) should lift up. Then you can turn the top race (the bottom zig-zag part, with the knurles) by hand until the looseness is gone. Then set the spacer back down; you may have to move the top race clockwise or counter-clockwise a bit to get the two pieces to interlock. Then tighten the top nut.

It's possible (quite likely, actually, if the bike hasn't been serviced recently) there will be no "middle ground" between "too loose" (the movement you're experiencing now) and "too tight" (does not turn smoothly). If that's the case, you'll need to service the headset. Depending on the degree of wear, that could be (in increasing order of expense/work):
* Clean and re-grease the bearings
* Replace the bearing balls (and re-grease)
* Replace the headset (and grease)
Likes For madpogue:
Old 07-29-19, 01:47 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 939 Posts
This is how I went about rebuilding/adjusting a French headset. Hope it helps.

The primary answer is bearing adjustment nut and lock nut. Once you have the bearing adjustment set, hold the bearing adjustment nut from turning and then tighten the lock nut up against it...
Old 08-18-19, 09:17 AM
2WheelWilly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you both for your helpful posts!
Old 08-18-19, 02:54 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Good advice so far. I'll add a bit that might not be obvious if you didn't grow up with traditional open bearings.

The headset should be adjusted to be as loose as possible, yet there should be absolutely no play. It's a fine line you have to find. Often times one tooth on these French headsets is the difference between right and wrong. Complicating the matter is you can't tell how loose or tight it is until you fully tighten the top lock nut (which should be quite tight). So the procedure is: guess; tighten the lock nut; if it feels tight loosen the top nut and loosen the adjuster slightly; tighten the top nut again; if it feels loose tighten adjuster and then the top lock nut; repeat until just right. Bouncing the front wheel on the floor is the standard trick to be able to tell if it's loose. A loose headset will rattle very slightly.
Old 08-18-19, 02:55 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,386 Times in 3,671 Posts
We probably should include a point about "indexing" which depending on level of expertise may or may not be a big deal.

I would encourage the op to overhaul with new bearings for just cause, learn the skill and gain the satisfaction of a job well done.
Old 08-18-19, 03:01 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,386 Times in 3,671 Posts
Originally Posted by 2WheelWilly
Hi Folks,

I'm a complete novice when it comes to bicycle mechanics, so I was hoping there'd be someone here with the knowledge to help me with a question I have. I inherited an old French bike (1970s Motobecane Grand Record) from a parent, which I use to go touring now and again. (Only major modification I've had done is replacing the old brake system.) Recently my headset has gotten loose, so I feel jiggling when I ride, especially when I brake going downhill. The headset mechanics look unorthodox, however (photo attached--hmmm, unfortunately I'm not of sufficient status to be allowed to post photos or urls), and I've had trouble attempting to tighten the headset. Is there some kind of special tool I need to do this? It seems almost like it needs a pin spanner (or something like that) but with the pins oriented another 90 degrees inward from where they would normally be on a pin spanner.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks lots.
Welcome aboard, glad you found us. We are glad to help.

Go around, say "Hi" and or comment on more posts, then get us pic's, we have to have them to be sure we are giving the right info.

You are jumping right in the deep end, French and headset can be some big fun, good on ya, have at it.
Old 08-18-19, 04:40 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Note: If you have a headset in the style that madpogue shows- the upper tooth section does not rotate, one must lift it up as mentioned then set back down as its bore has a flat zone to match the steerer if on a French bike, keep in place and tighten the locknut.
BUT, there IS slop in the threads, often a touch too loose will cinch up and a well adjusted system will get too tight upon finishing with the nut.
As often these are assembled with the use of centerpull brakes, evaluating the adjustment is more difficult, one cannot spin the fork 360 degrees.

Other note- Campagnolo advises to install the stem before finalizing the headset adjustment, the steerer/quill interaction can move things.

I note this as I just serviced a Stronglight V4 headset that had not been opened since installed in 1972.