Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Need help purchasing my first bike

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-19, 08:42 AM
sangwlee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,
I have recently decided to invest in a bike for healthier life.
My main usage will be to commute back and forth from work, which is 15 miles each way.

From what I have gathered, I have decided on following:
  • Around $1000 range
  • Road bike
  • Used from craigslist or redit
I have some questions as someone who has never bought a bike before.
  1. Is $1000 enough for a lasting bike?
  2. Is road bike a good choice given my usage?
  3. Is it better to buy a used bike over a new one?
  4. How hard is it to find a good used bike?
  5. Is there a season when bikes are cheaper?
  6. Are there any other sources I can use to find a bike?
Many thanks in advance,
Thanks

Last edited by sangwlee; 07-31-19 at 08:49 AM.
Old 07-31-19, 08:55 AM
86az135i
Banned.

Bikes: 1996 Cannondale R900, 2016 Trek Boone, 2005 Giant Yukon

Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
1. $1000 is a good amount of money for a used bike, you'll be able to find a quality bike
2. Eh, I mean I would go for more utility like a gravel or cyclocross. You'll average about the same speed, but can go wider tires and have a little more comfort. And you can do more dirt, and gravel. For about $1000 shipped I bought a 2016 Trek Boone 9 which is like a 4500 dollar bike. Just needed 2 tires, and a rear derailleur.
3. I've mostly bought used, you can save a lot of money.
4. Not hard if you're patient.
5. I'm not sure
6. OfferUp

Last edited by 86az135i; 07-31-19 at 09:00 AM.
Old 07-31-19, 08:57 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 131 Posts
Pinkbike buy and sell is pretty good in most locations. Local bike club / tri club might have a buy and sell as well. From what info you've given, I don't think there's much else I can say to help you.

I personally don't have a 'road bike' at the moment - both because I don't really like the STI shifters, and I find I'm more likely to make/find the time to ride by riding to work. For me, it's about 45min each way, I ride it on an old Bianchi Strada road bike that's been converted to 3sp Sturmey Archer IGH.

I sold my 'good' road bike to pay for BMX race bikes after my boys started, and I started racing with them. I've got an eye out for an older road frame to put a groupset and wheelset I have for nice day riding, but honestly I'm more likely to run if I have time to do a workout than bike.
Old 07-31-19, 09:12 AM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
It sounds like with your experience level, or rather, lack of, you might want to keep in mind that anything used you buy might need some tweaking which in your case will be a trip to the local bike shop. Don't forget to add that into your cost. In your price range I would be looking at Bikes Direct and also what your road conditions are like before deciding on which type of bike will suit you best. Good luck,
Old 07-31-19, 09:53 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
If I had $1K to spend on a commute bike I would not buy used. Certainly not off Craigslist! I'm sorry, at that price level you should want to hold a seller to a level of accountability that Craig's simply cannot guarantee. Elsewhere on BF we have the story of a woman that bought a used bike at that price level and entered a local race with it. She was seriously injured in a crash caused by a failure of the fork (carbon). She has the re-seller on the hook, and also the manufacturer(s) but it is in some doubt as to whether or not she will win her case because she is not the original owner of the bike. A used bike for $1K WILL have a carbon fork. It may be full carbon for that matter. Is that really a bike you want to buy used?

A new $1K roadbike is a much better bike than professional road racers WON multiple Tour de France's with only a couple decades ago. All that said, there is a lot of wisdom in post #2 . Especially regarding the qualification of the term 'road bike'. An ersatz road racer will beat the average rider to death on all but the smoothest pavement. It will look silly when laden with normal commuting accoutrements. Something like this would make an awesome commuter when equipped with fenders, rack, and lights (if necessary), and could be found used for around $1K, but I would try to find it at a dealer that cannot hide from you if the frame or fork is cracked. But seriously, in 2019 any hybrid, or gravel bike that would retail new at the $1K price point is more than good enough for someone making a lifestyle change that includes bicycling. FWIW.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 07-31-19, 10:13 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
I buy all my bikes used. Other people are correct that a large number of used bikes need a service so set your limit at $850 to allow for a tune-up and some lights for that commute.

The problem with Bikes Direct (new bikes) is that to keep their price low, the wheels are generally of a lesser quality. Clearly not long lasting for the purpose of commuting, especially if you are a large person.

The problem mentioned about Craigslist/FacebookMarketplace/OfferUp having no recourse if you get fleeced is real. You need to have some bike knowledge and ability to inspect and ride before negotiating a price. Usually the asking price is well above the negotiated selling price. Do you have another person, a cyclist, who can accompany you?

Commuter bikes often have racks and fenders - many road bikes will not accommodate these accessories well.

You should visit the sub-forum for Commuters.

Don't jump at the first bike. Do you have a bike shop close that sells used bikes? That's where I would start.

And welcome to BikeForums.
Old 07-31-19, 12:01 PM
imakecircles

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Nuovo Racing, 2012 Cervelo RS Rival, 20xx Redline Conquest (Commuter/Rain Bike)

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
Hi Sangwlee,

Since you're new to cycling I'd advise you to first go to bike shops to look at and ride bikes that are in your price range to get an idea of what feels best to you given the type of riding you envision doing. Take careful notes of the sizes of bikes that fit you/feel good, as whatever you end up getting if it doesn't fit, it will require additional purchases down the road. Once you have an idea of your size range and style of bike, you can compare for yourself what is available on the net vs the bike shops, along with the pros and cons of each.

If you buy a bike from the internet without doing this research first, the odds are much higher that you'll get something that won't work for you.
Likes For imakecircles:
Old 07-31-19, 02:05 PM
86az135i
Banned.

Bikes: 1996 Cannondale R900, 2016 Trek Boone, 2005 Giant Yukon

Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
If I had $1K to spend on a commute bike I would not buy used. Certainly not off Craigslist! I'm sorry, at that price level you should want to hold a seller to a level of accountability that Craig's simply cannot guarantee. Elsewhere on BF we have the story of a woman that bought a used bike at that price level and entered a local race with it. She was seriously injured in a crash caused by a failure of the fork (carbon). She has the re-seller on the hook, and also the manufacturer(s) but it is in some doubt as to whether or not she will win her case because she is not the original owner of the bike. A used bike for $1K WILL have a carbon fork. It may be full carbon for that matter. Is that really a bike you want to buy used?

A new $1K roadbike is a much better bike than professional road racers WON multiple Tour de France's with only a couple decades ago. All that said, there is a lot of wisdom in post #2 . Especially regarding the qualification of the term 'road bike'. An ersatz road racer will beat the average rider to death on all but the smoothest pavement. It will look silly when laden with normal commuting accoutrements. Something like this would make an awesome commuter when equipped with fenders, rack, and lights (if necessary), and could be found used for around $1K, but I would try to find it at a dealer that cannot hide from you if the frame or fork is cracked. But seriously, in 2019 any hybrid, or gravel bike that would retail new at the $1K price point is more than good enough for someone making a lifestyle change that includes bicycling. FWIW.
I disagree with this statement. I'll put my 93 Cannondale R900 against any major manufacturer bike at or below $1000 new today. That it's lighter and faster.

And for every horror story, there are literally thousands of stories where people are pleased. Risk vs reward. Stop the fear mongering. Be a smart buyer, look over the bike with a fine tooth comb. Then make a choice.
Old 07-31-19, 09:45 PM
drcollie

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I'd buy used off Craigslist, there are some smoking good buys out there. I've had excellent luck getting high-quality bikes that way. Take someone with you that knows bikes if you can. 15 miles each way commuting is a pretty good distance for a newbie, especially if there are hills on the route. Consider an e-bike with fenders to start off with, because it will take you time to work up to a 30 mile round trip each day. Fenders will help keep the rain spray off you on wet roads, if you plan to do this daily you will get caught in the rain once in awhile.
Old 08-01-19, 04:53 AM
robnol
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by sangwlee
Hi all,
I have recently decided to invest in a bike for healthier life.
My main usage will be to commute back and forth from work, which is 15 miles each way.

From what I have gathered, I have decided on following:
  • Around $1000 range
  • Road bike
  • Used from craigslist or redit
I have some questions as someone who has never bought a bike before.
  1. Is $1000 enough for a lasting bike?
  2. Is road bike a good choice given my usage?
  3. Is it better to buy a used bike over a new one?
  4. How hard is it to find a good used bike?
  5. Is there a season when bikes are cheaper?
  6. Are there any other sources I can use to find a bike?
Many thanks in advance,
Thanks
ebay for 1000 u can get a great bike......dont buy new totally over priced...
Old 08-01-19, 04:54 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,391 Times in 2,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
The problem with Bikes Direct (new bikes) is that to keep their price low, the wheels are generally of a lesser quality. Clearly not long lasting for the purpose of commuting, especially if you are a large person.
That's pretty much ALL bikes (new used LBS BSO) at any given price point <$2K? or so, not just BD. Pretty much any bike used for commuter service on anything but the smoothest roads is going to beat up original wheels. Most end up getting replaced with better, more robust wheels eventually if they remain in commuter service.
Old 08-03-19, 01:28 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
That's pretty much ALL bikes (new used LBS BSO) at any given price point <$2K? or so, not just BD. Pretty much any bike used for commuter service on anything but the smoothest roads is going to beat up original wheels. Most end up getting replaced with better, more robust wheels eventually if they remain in commuter service.
I would respond Yes and No about lesser wheels.
To hit a price point, lesser wheels can easily be substituted by a volume seller. And as you say, every new bike manufacturer/importer does this. The guy with the lowest price is under the most pressure to find cost reductions to maintain margins.

With used bikes, one has to check all the components. Wheels are often the first upgrade by original owner that a 2nd owner benefits from. Used may also uncover a bike already adapted to one's specific need. Such as fenders for a commuter. Or tougher wheels for a graveler. Power meter for a race bike. Racks for a tourer.