Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Fulcrum Racing 6

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Fulcrum Racing 6

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-19, 11:44 PM
filipw1990

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Fulcrum Racing 6

Hi,

I need strong and reliable wheels. I am very light but I want wheels which will stay true for a long time, that is the main point. I am living on flat area so weight of wheelset does not matter so much.

I am thinking about Fulcrum Racing 6 2019. Any opinions?

Are bearings in "standard" size? I mean normal bearings available in shop, not made specially for Fulcrum. I heard also that nipples are very soft and can be damaged during truing. Is that true?
Old 08-07-19, 05:23 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3661 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts
For under $200 those seem like a good choice. I don't think Fulcrum uses anything proprietary at that level. Nipples are a non-issue. If they are aluminum and you bugger them, just replace when you need to. You'll probably never have to true them anyway.
Old 08-07-19, 08:05 AM
filipw1990

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
In model 6 nipples are made from brass. I know that brass is heavier than aluminium, but I do not know if it is stronger :]
Old 08-07-19, 08:58 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3661 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts
Brass nips are more durable and forgiving of hamfisted fiddlers like myself. If those wheels have them it's another plus, IMO.
Old 08-07-19, 09:26 AM
kfried

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I recently bought the Fulcrum 5 and I really like the ride they provide. But beware if you're using QR. Perhaps the situation will be different for 6s versus 5s, but I'll share my experience below.

The wheels say they are QR compatible, and they are, but require adapters. My wheels did not come with the adapters when I ordered them, and I then had to source those with help from my LBS. There is virtually no information on the Fulcrum website about these adapters, so I had to call QBP to get part numbers. Front and rear sets are about $30/set, so $60 total.

For the front, the part number is RM11-TAQR
For the rear, the part numbers is KITFCRAQR
If you need spacers to convert the rear from 135 to 142 dropouts, that is: RM16-TA12135

But here is where things got tricky. My front hub was the same size as my rear in terms of the adapter required, so I ended up having to order/install the adapters for the rear in the front as well.

I hope you don't have to go through this process as it was pretty frustrating. But I share this to encourage you to ask a few more questions to make sure you know exactly what you're getting if you order online. FWIW, I ordered mine through Merlin and they really didn't have much information. But they were really helpful in helping to sort the problem.
Old 08-07-19, 09:47 AM
filipw1990

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
@kfried Thank you for opinion. I think your problem is related to Disc Brake version only. I am looking for Caliper Brakes version and in that case axle looks standard.

https://www.fulcrumwheels.com/en/whe...heels/racing-6
Likes For filipw1990:
Old 08-07-19, 03:48 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by filipw1990
Hi,

I need strong and reliable wheels. I am very light but I want wheels which will stay true for a long time, that is the main point. I am living on flat area so weight of wheelset does not matter so much.

I am thinking about Fulcrum Racing 6 2019. Any opinions?

Are bearings in "standard" size? I mean normal bearings available in shop, not made specially for Fulcrum. I heard also that nipples are very soft and can be damaged during truing. Is that true?
I don't know the specifics of the Racing 6, but I have been very impressed with the Fulcrums that came standard on my Tarmac. They're called S-4, and they're 3 hubs on 5 rims. Have remained super-true and very reliable.
Old 08-07-19, 03:58 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
A bike I had years ago came with Fulcrum Racing 7s. I couldn't knock them out of true if I tried. Hit a pothole HARD one night coming too fast down the hill, it was enough force I thought the wheel would be wrecked, it was still true. The 6 is a better wheel.
Old 08-07-19, 11:43 PM
filipw1990

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I found also Campagnolo Khamsin G3. I know that Fulcrum is owned by Campagnolo, so I think quality of wheels will be similar.

Khamsin has 4 spokes more on rear wheel ( G3). Also axle/ hub finish looks little nicer. I am not also sure if bearings adjustments is not little different from Fulcrum.

What do you think?

https://www.campagnolo.com/US/en/Wheels/khamsin
Old 08-28-19, 09:11 AM
filipw1990

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wheels finally arrived. I will install them next season, but my first impressions below.

What I like:

- Wheels seem to be very true straight out of the box
- Some kind of sticky/ oily stains are visible around nipples, so probably nipples and spokes are glued
- Front wheel spins very, very smooth
- Freehub makes an impression of very "tight"
- Assymetric rear rim looks nice
- Very nice play adjustment on rear wheel

What I dislike:

- Rear wheel does not spin freely as I expected. Maybe it is case of adjustment or grease in bearings. I will check it after installation, but probably it will get much better after first ride.
- Aluminium freehub body. It is not issue of wheels, only my preferences. I prefer steel.
- Weight is higher than provided by producer. 1760g vs ~1820g
- No play adjustment nut on front wheel. To be honest, I do not know how to remove play on front wheel.
- Outer bearing in freehub body is not covered

Summarizing, I like those wheels very much and "dislikes" I mentioned are very small issues. I think it is very nice wheelset at this price, much better than Aksiums ( which are at same price in my country).
Likes For filipw1990: