Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Protein Powder

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Protein Powder

Old 11-10-09, 04:46 PM
Dubbayoo

Bikes: Pedal Force QS3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
non-flavored can taste pretty bad, definitely look for whey isolate...much more palatable.
Old 11-10-09, 08:32 PM
adacas
noooooooooooooooooooob!

Bikes: Schwinn Fastback Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hemprider
It seems you and Modo have literally no clue how the human body works.

Do you realize that babies are growing far more then an adult and at a very rapid pace? What don't you understand about that? Why is it that humans only need 6% in the most progressive growth stage of there whole life (infancy) yet some how we need more when we're already developed and full grown?

It makes absolutely no sense.
more useless jibba jabba. This is merely the swan cry of an ignored science teacher who bet it all on the final question of jeapardy and lost. Nobody cares. Seriously why does someone ask "where can I get protein shakes that don't taste like the back end of a radio talk show host," and somehow gets a pointless lesson on the digestive needs of a baby. I'm sure you are trying to attempt to inform the OP of the great evils of the meat industry and that soy is the way to go and maybe he should stop take the time to be nice to a cat (who by the way are carnivores so yeah I know stuff too) and raise a hemp garden and dance in the rain nude in hopes of pleasing the winter spirits but all the man or woman or whatever it is wanted to know was where to get some whey at a bang for your buck deal. Enough of my useless jibba jabba i'm gonna go get my protein from a dead lamb

Last edited by adacas; 11-10-09 at 08:37 PM.
Old 11-10-09, 08:52 PM
shona

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
My simple question about protein powder seems to inspired a testosterone surge!
Old 11-10-09, 08:55 PM
Lamp-Shade
Bulimic Arsonist.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shona
NO IT DIDNT YOU ARE LOOKING AT IT WRONG AND ARE MISINFORMED ABOUT THE BASIC STRUCTURE OF A HEATED DISCUSSION.
But seriously, you should let us know what you buy, review it, and post it in this thread. Good protein powders are really hard to find.
Old 11-10-09, 09:31 PM
ModoVincere
Riding Heaven's Highways on the grand tour

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Lamp-Shade
NO IT DIDNT YOU ARE LOOKING AT IT WRONG AND ARE MISINFORMED ABOUT THE BASIC STRUCTURE OF A HEATED DISCUSSION.
But seriously, you should let us know what you buy, review it, and post it in this thread. Good protein powders are really hard to find.

Please do post your opinion on whatever protein powder you choose.
Old 11-10-09, 10:00 PM
trigger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
He's posting this rant in a lot of threads lately. There was one not so long ago about protein supplementation that got the same treatment. Oi.

That said, I'm willing to (maybe) believe that what he's doing works for him. It shouldn't, but maybe it does. There was just an article in the paper about a thin, healthy dude who has basically lived his whole life on junk food and returns normal tests across the board. Because that works for him does not mean that it should form the basis for nutritional thinking for everyone ...

On topic, I'm currently taking the Proteins + supplements by the Greens people (Genuine Health, I think), and while I'm new to protein powder and fairly uneducated, it seems pretty good. Low in fat, no artificial sweetners, tastes good ...
Old 11-10-09, 11:02 PM
hemprider
811ORV

Bikes: felt f25r

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adacas
I'm sure you are trying to attempt to inform the OP of the great evils of the meat industry and that soy is the way to go
Maybe if you had reading comprehension you would realize I'm recommending against all protein powders, especially soy which is essentially a poison.

It's clear you have no idea what I'm talking about, digestive needs of a baby? quote where i said that.

One last time for you, maybe you'll actually read what i write this time. Babies grow fast, babies need more protein then adults, breast milk contains 6% protein, therefore adults need less then that.

Instead of trying to personally attack me maybe you can use that energy to actually prove me wrong? That would probably require to much effort i guess...
Old 11-10-09, 11:06 PM
hemprider
811ORV

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trigger

That said, I'm willing to (maybe) believe that what he's doing works for him. It shouldn't, but maybe it does. There was just an article in the paper about a thin, healthy dude who has basically lived his whole life on junk food and returns normal tests across the board. Because that works for him does not mean that it should form the basis for nutritional thinking for everyone ...
Link to the article??

What works for me will work for everyone, were all the same species. Its like saying well some tigers will only thrive on elks while other tigers only thrive on zebras. You see how stupid that sounds???

The only reason i go on rants is because people on this site give absolutely moronic nutritional advice and its clear they have no ***ing clue what there talking about. They read a mens health magazine and they somehow think that makes them a expert.
Old 11-10-09, 11:54 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
What works for me will work for everyone, were all the same species. Its like saying well some tigers will only thrive on elks while other tigers only thrive on zebras. You see how stupid that sounds???
Well by that logic you should eat a lot of protein from dairy and legumes sources, because it works for me. Thus it will work for you.

UD
Old 11-10-09, 11:59 PM
adacas
noooooooooooooooooooob!

Bikes: Schwinn Fastback Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What works for me will work for everyone,
bwahahaha he's serious?

Soy a poison? Tell that to my friends filipino great grandfather who is still alive and kickin at the ripe old age of 92 and eats soy like its candy. Don't go to their house on thanksgiving if you hate tofurkey.
Old 11-11-09, 06:14 AM
ModoVincere

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Link to the article??

The only reason i go on rants is because people on this site give absolutely moronic nutritional advice and its clear they have no ***ing clue what there talking about. They read a mens health magazine and they somehow think that makes them a expert.
Oh Dear God, the irony is overwhelming at this time of the morning.
Old 11-11-09, 11:15 AM
Lamp-Shade
Bulimic Arsonist.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Babies grow fast, babies need more protein then adults, breast milk contains 6% protein, therefore adults need less then that."

The sun moves around the sky during the day, as does the moon at night. The earth is obviously not moving, therefore the sun and moon revolve around the earth.
Simple logic is not right logic, especially with concerns to the complexities and contradictions in a human body.
My grandfather has been fruitarian for most of his life, I think since he was 25. Mormon, as well, so before that no alcohol, caffeine, recreational drug of ANY sort, occasional fasts, etc. It is heart breaking to see him today. It makes me angry, even.
Nerve damage has left him with a persistent twitch in both of his arms (not hands, the whole arm), he started showing symptoms of alzheimers when he was about 54. I dont think I've ever seen him when he wasnt pale, been around him when he didn't smell absolutely awful (not body odour awful, like muscle breakdown/ammonia awful....not all the time but this does happen to him alot.) I don't think he even sleeps at night with the amount of wind that exits his body, something that I don't even understand because you would think he would have gotten used to it by now, if anything.
He does not take supplements. He has been sick and unable to participate in any activity since I have known him. The only thing he seems to like is
A. sitting down and twitching
B. Praising the health benefits of a strict fruitarian diet like it hasn't caused him years of needless suffering.

"What works for me will work for everyone, were all the same species. Its like saying well some tigers will only thrive on elks while other tigers only thrive on zebras. You see how stupid that sounds???"

Or like saying that Inuit populations haven't adapted to thrive off of protein and fat, and alot of problems wont arise when they start eating like, say, ancient egyptians did. Or saying that, because I am of European decent, a person of asian decent will have the same chances of tolerating milk throughout adulthood. We are extremely complex creatures with an astounding amount of diversity within our species. To say "I eat only fruit, thus every human being should be fruitarian." (or anything similiar).... Well, its really hard to take that seriously as an argument, in any context.

What I think:
The ability to eat whatever the hell we want, I believe, is one of the reasons we were fit to survive in the wild. Sustenance was not as serious a matter for early man as it could have been for other species. Sometimes our diet was high protein, sometimes it was high carb, sometimes it was high fat, sometimes it was a mix of everything, sometimes we went without, and sometimes we had plenty. There are alot of healthy foods on this planet, and I believe we ate them all whenever we could. Evolution said "lets do away with dietary specialization, its a limiting factor in our ability to spread."
Old 11-11-09, 01:52 PM
hemprider
811ORV

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lamp-Shade
Nerve damage has left him with a persistent twitch in both of his arms (not hands, the whole arm), he started showing symptoms of alzheimers when he was about 54. I dont think I've ever seen him when he wasnt pale, been around him when he didn't smell absolutely awful (not body odour awful, like muscle breakdown/ammonia awful....not all the time but this does happen to him alot.) I don't think he even sleeps at night with the amount of wind that exits his body, something that I don't even understand because you would think he would have gotten used to it by now, if anything.
I have no idea what your grandpa eats, how he eats it or when. Post what your grandpa eats in a day and over a year(specific fruits and quantity) if you wanna have any credibility.
Old 11-11-09, 02:43 PM
Lamp-Shade
Bulimic Arsonist.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last time I was up there (too see my grandma before she died, two years ago or so...) He would basically eat mangoes, pineapple, and cantaloupe and berries (they live in washington, so fresh blackberries are EVERYWHERE and yes, they are infinitely better than store bought), lunch always changed, but he included almonds, and dinner was always based around avocado, cucumber, and tomatoes. Of course he would mix and match things on top of that, but those seemed to be the staples.

OP I feel so stupid for forgetting, but if you just want a protein to put in your oatmeal or something, try just using a bunch of egg whites. I do such every time I have oatmeal, and it makes the most delicious fluffy stick with you awesome carby mush on EARF.
Old 11-11-09, 03:04 PM
hemprider
811ORV

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds to me like he doesn't even eat organic which would explain the nerve damage. He also is most likely severley under eating, unless he eats a ****load of almonds and avocados, which would attribute to the other problems. He has obviously never heard of food combining which explains his extreme gas. I eat high fruit low fat based off the teachings of the 80/10/10 diet by dr. graham. Tell your grandpa about it so he can save his life.
Old 11-11-09, 04:51 PM
rotti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
trueprotein, they have to best prices and quality. They offer a recession deal, it's plain and bland, but if you chug it down you won't notice.

I won't even waste my time on the whole protein debate, but babies weigh 10 pounds, adults weigh much more. Trying to compare the protein requirements for a 10 pound baby that sleeps 18 plus hours a day to a 170 pound adult athlete is just silly.
Old 11-11-09, 06:12 PM
go4gr8
Mountain goat

Bikes: BMC Team Machine SLR01, (RIP) BMC Team Machine SLT01, CDale SuperV400, Cramerotti Genius Nivacrom, C'Dale R600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am looking for a FLAVOR FREE, NON SOY, protein powder. I used to use one that had about 32 grams of protein per serving but I cannot find it anymore. If it makes any difference I mix it with my rice milk for my cereal so that I can have protein for breakfast when I don't want to eat yogurt. Thanks.
This is what I use: Whey Protein Powder

25 grams of protein, coupled with milk may get you about ~30 grams of total protein or more.

What I've learned from my personal trainer was that protein intake is based on your level of activity and not necessarily just your lean body mass. "Protein cannot work without carbohydrates to balance your insulin levels."

What you want is a balance of carbs to protein at about 9 grams to 7 grams respectively. A person that is active may require more than 130 grams of protein per day, spread out into 5 meals per day.

Too much protein and you increase the burden on your kidneys which could lead to kidney failure.

Supplements are sometimes a cheap yet very convenient form to get the nutrition you need to stay active and healthy.
Old 11-15-09, 12:31 AM
kdboxerdog
kdboxerdog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beef. It's what's for dinner.
Old 11-17-09, 04:38 PM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
OK, question from a rookie. I have been reading this for the last week and broke down and bout a cannister of Whey Protein. This morning I split a scoop of power between my water bottle and then post ride yogurt smoothie. Should I use the whole scoop post ride, what's the thought.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 11-17-09, 05:09 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
They read a mens health magazine and they somehow think that makes them a expert.
What makes you an expert?
Old 11-17-09, 05:33 PM
TheRealNicola
Daily Commuter

Bikes: Surly Steamroller, Gary fisher wahoo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
wtf happened to this thread.
Old 11-17-09, 06:19 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by TheRealNicola
hemprider
Old 11-17-09, 06:41 PM
Dubbayoo

Bikes: Pedal Force QS3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TheRealNicola
PETA happened.
Old 11-17-09, 07:26 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by Daspydyr
OK, question from a rookie. I have been reading this for the last week and broke down and bout a cannister of Whey Protein. This morning I split a scoop of power between my water bottle and then post ride yogurt smoothie. Should I use the whole scoop post ride, what's the thought.
I'll have a go. First thing, you say "bottle," singular. So you're going out with one bottle, meaning you probably aren't riding more than an hour or two. You don't need protein during a short ride like that. You might consider putting some carbs in that bottle. If you did that, you might consider adding a little protein. A 7:1 carb/protein ratio has been proven effective for riding however far.

After the ride, you might consider a 4:1 carb/protein beverage of some sort. Though if I finish at home, I'll just do the protein with a little sugar in it and then have a carby dinner soon after, getting most of my recovery carbs from that.

It all depends on how hard and long you went and if you're going out hard again tomorrow. The very best thing is to have 1.5g of carbs per kg body weight in the 4 hours following your ride, and then protein in about that 4:1 ratio. But how you consume that will depend on your experience and goals.

Hemprider hasn't yet figured out that we burn protein when we ride hard. The harder we ride, the more we burn. We actually burn it. Burn it right up, like gone. If your body can't get it from your food, it will get it from your muscles. Give him time. He'll figure it out!

Everything you ever wanted to know about fueling for bike riding is here:
https://www.hammernutrition.com/za/HN...URANCE_LIBRARY
Old 11-17-09, 07:36 PM
ModoVincere

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I'll have a go. First thing, you say "bottle," singular. So you're going out with one bottle, meaning you probably aren't riding more than an hour or two. You don't need protein during a short ride like that. You might consider putting some carbs in that bottle. If you did that, you might consider adding a little protein. A 7:1 carb/protein ratio has been proven effective for riding however far.

After the ride, you might consider a 4:1 carb/protein beverage of some sort. Though if I finish at home, I'll just do the protein with a little sugar in it and then have a carby dinner soon after, getting most of my recovery carbs from that.

It all depends on how hard and long you went and if you're going out hard again tomorrow. The very best thing is to have 1.5g of carbs per kg body weight in the 4 hours following your ride, and then protein in about that 4:1 ratio. But how you consume that will depend on your experience and goals.

Hemprider hasn't yet figured out that we burn protein when we ride hard. The harder we ride, the more we burn. We actually burn it. Burn it right up, like gone. If your body can't get it from your food, it will get it from your muscles. Give him time. He'll figure it out!

Everything you ever wanted to know about fueling for bike riding is here:
https://www.hammernutrition.com/za/HN...URANCE_LIBRARY

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.