Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

NOS Campy Victory Gruppo - What's it worth??

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-11, 10:32 AM
cpsqlrwn
OldSchool

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts

I don't have any pictures to post but I have a complete late 80's Victory group including late model rear derailleur and both braze on and clamp on front derailleurs. The crank is a 52-42/170mm and it is a complete group including headset, bottom bracket, and hubset with skewers. I'm trying to get a handle on what the entire group would be worth on CL, here on the forum, or on eBay. These were the middle group (between Triomphe and C-Record) in the mid to late 80's right after the Super Record era ended, sort of the bridge in time before the late 80's when Chorus and Athena kicked in. Any information or experience or knowledge would be appreciated.
Old 10-30-11, 01:39 PM
stevenc

Bikes: Eddy Merckx MX Leader "Vive le Roy", Flanders Pista, Poggio Shimano 600 10-speed

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
If it's really NOS (or even better NIB) then I would be surprised if it wouldn't go well over $1000 on an eBay auction, looking at what the individual components go for. If you would put it as a "buy it now", you might eventually sell it for much more. Make sure it's 100% complete, including brake pads, brake hoods etc.
Old 10-30-11, 08:40 PM
753proguy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cpsqlrwn
I don't have any pictures to post but I have a complete late 80's Victory group including late model rear derailleur and both braze on and clamp on front derailleurs. The crank is a 52-42/170mm and it is a complete group including headset, bottom bracket, and hubset with skewers. I'm trying to get a handle on what the entire group would be worth on CL, here on the forum, or on eBay. These were the middle group (between Triomphe and C-Record) in the mid to late 80's right after the Super Record era ended, sort of the bridge in time before the late 80's when Chorus and Athena kicked in. Any information or experience or knowledge would be appreciated.
That's tough to say. Put it on eBay with no reserve if you want to maximize your selling price.

I like Victory stuff, personally, but it really doesn't garner much enthusiasm among most C&V'ers. Too similar to the bottom-of-the-line Triomphe stuff, no cranks other than 170*, cheap q/r on the calipers, etc. Performance-wise, it should be excellent, however.

* ...although there are some (rare) 1988 Victory ATB triple cranks that were 175 mm.

I kinda doubt it would fetch $1000, even on eBarf. I bought a complete NOS Croce d'Aune group with 175s for less than that a while back (on eBay), and that included the Delta brakes, plus the quite-nice Croce cranks.
Old 10-31-11, 08:10 AM
jet sanchEz

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 386 Posts
If the group is truly NOS (still in the box/bag) then it would probably go as high as $1K on eBay.
Old 10-31-11, 08:45 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
I think Steven and Jet are SERIOUSLY off. Victory is not a middle group, it's a low end campy group and one that people are not generally wild about. Athena is a middle group, and I have sold some NOS Athena parts...and was not thrilled with what they brought.

My guess...for complete group - $300.
Likes For KonAaron Snake:
Old 10-31-11, 10:14 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 937 Posts
Sadly, you will never know until you sell the group. Vintage bicycle prices vary greatly, and I do mean greatly. One day a bike will bring $180.00, the next over $1200.00. And that is how your group will perform in the market place.

If two people want it, you will do well. If only one, you loose. The safest way to go is to offer the set on Ebay, for a buck with a reserve of what you think the set to be worth. That option has the potential to fetch the biggest bucks with no risk.

Or, offer the set for an Ebay Buy It Now/Best Offer, again for what you think it to be worth, plus a bit more (usually about 25% more than you hope to get is a good ball park to work with).

The third way is to keep the set, knowing that its value is rising rapidly in today's vintage bicycle market.
Old 10-31-11, 10:24 AM
jet sanchEz

Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
I think Steven and Jet are SERIOUSLY off. Victory is not a middle group, it's a low end campy group and one that people are not generally wild about. Athena is a middle group, and I have sold some NOS Athena parts...and was not thrilled with what they brought.

I am not a big fan of Victory either but I figured that "NOS Campagnolo NIB" would garner a lot of attention.
Old 10-31-11, 10:39 AM
cpsqlrwn
OldSchool

I think the reality lies somewhere in between. My best guess is that these bring somewhere between $500 and $750 on eBay. I have the complete group but without a seatpost. I would argue with your statement that Victory was low end. That would be Triomphe. I would characterize Victory as mid range. Victory debuted in 1984 along with C-Record and Triomphe. That product line would exist for 3 and a half years until late 1987 when Chorus and Athena appeared and that was followed the next year by Croce D'Aune. Victory has some nice features such as the Super Record style brake levers. I think people are so accustomed to the Chorus style crankset that the Victory crank turns people off a bit. People see it as low end. Aesthetically the Chorus group took on the C-Record crankset appearance (from an artistic point of view) that Campy uses to this day. I think this "Chorus or C-Record style" crank causes Victory to be seen as a second class citizen without regard to performance. I know the early versions of the rear derailleur were somewhat problematic, but the later versions (which is what I have) eliminated those issues and performed quite well. The two most noticeable components on a bike are the crankset and the rear derailleur and on these two components, Victory and Triomphe are like the ugly ducklings when compared to the smooth flowing lines of all the other groups.

Last edited by cpsqlrwn; 10-31-11 at 11:11 AM.
Likes For cpsqlrwn:
Old 10-31-11, 11:08 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Not trying to be combative...but there were more groups over Victory then there were under it. The only one under it is Triomphe and they are nearly identical - and in fact I'd argue they are viewed with about equal enthusiasm. Victory is much closer to Triomphe on the food chain than it is to Chorus. I am only speaking to where it fell on the line and how it's viewed, not its function.

I would be very, very surprised if you get $500. I look forward to watching the auction though.
Old 10-31-11, 11:56 AM
cpsqlrwn
OldSchool

Not trying to be combative...but there were more groups over Victory then there were under it. The only one under it is Triomphe and they are nearly identical - and in fact I'd argue they are viewed with about equal enthusiasm. Victory is much closer to Triomphe on the food chain than it is to Chorus. I am only speaking to where it fell on the line and how it's viewed, not its function.

I would be very, very surprised if you get $500. I look forward to watching the auction though.
Aaron, I'm pulling my info right from the catalogs and for the years 1984 through mid 1987, there were only three groups in Campy's lineup, C-Record, Victory, and Triomphe. Super Record had just ended in 1984 and Chorus, Athena, and Croce D'Aune did not kick in until late 87/early 88. If I am missing something, please let me know. Once Chorus, Athena, and Croce D'Aune appeared, then your statement that there were more above Victory than below became true. Actually Triomphe disappeared in 1988 and Victory's last version, named S3, appeared for one year in 1988 and for that one year before it was retired, Victory was at the bottom of Campy's lineup. And that comparison with the beautiful lines of Chorus, Athena, and Croce D'Aune, more than anything else, is what gives Victory it's low end stigma. I don't know about being lucky to get $500, but I can tell you almost assuredly that they will not go as low as $300, because I'll keep the group or sell the components individually before that happens!

And Aaron, one more thing, I know you're from Philly and up there, your previous post is about a "1" on the "Philly combative scale"!
Old 10-31-11, 12:47 PM
jet sanchEz

I look forward to watching the auction though.
Me too, link it here for us. I came across a Rocky Mountain Team bike a couple of years ago that had a pristine Victory group on it and, apart from the cranks, I thought it looked very nice. I listed the bike for $450 and had a lot of interest but only in the components. I always wondered what I might have been able to make on the bike had I parted it out.

I think that half of the stuff listed on eBay as Chorus is in fact Vitory...or maybe I just can't tell the difference.
Old 10-31-11, 12:53 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

You're right - I am thinking about it in terms of later years. I remember SR gruppos being sold in that period, but the catalouge is, I'm sure, more accurate than my memory.

I am curious about what it goes for...perhaps a gentleman's wager?

Originally Posted by jet sanchEz
Me too, link it here for us. I came across a Rocky Mountain Team bike a couple of years ago that had a pristine Victory group on it and, apart from the cranks, I thought it looked very nice. I listed the bike for $450 and had a lot of interest but only in the components. I always wondered what I might have been able to make on the bike had I parted it out.

I think that half of the stuff listed on eBay as Chorus is in fact Vitory...or maybe I just can't tell the difference.
You and me both! The levels of distinction in that period are like heiroglyphics to me.
Old 10-31-11, 04:55 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by jet sanchEz
Me too, link it here for us.
+2

With the large spread of guesses you guys have me curious. Please link if it goes up on the 'bay.
Old 10-31-11, 05:43 PM
cpsqlrwn
OldSchool

Will do!
Old 10-31-11, 06:34 PM
753proguy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Um, Athena was bottom-of-the line, below Chorus. Victory was next-to-top (at one time). Big diff-frahnce.
Old 10-31-11, 06:37 PM
753proguy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'll pay $300 for the group, sight unseen....
Old 11-01-11, 07:59 AM
joe englert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 753proguy
Um, Athena was bottom-of-the line, below Chorus. Victory was next-to-top (at one time). Big diff-frahnce.
No No. Athena is right under chorus-kind of like 105....anyway...only big time collectors are going to pay over 500.00 for a nos group and they only want top of the line for their top of the line bikes. Your not going to put victory or triomphe on a mint de rosa or masi are you? no...those groups go only on lower end bikes...and those arent worth much anyway. 300.00 would be a good price to get for that group...id sell it to proguy and forget the ebay fees. by the way proguy...what bike did you have in mind to put that stuff on? ps im not saying it doesnt work good...it probably works great....im just saying...big collectors wont pay much for it......best of luck however. let us know what you do get for it.
Old 11-01-11, 08:56 AM
cpsqlrwn
OldSchool

Originally Posted by joe englert
No No. Athena is right under chorus-kind of like 105....anyway...only big time collectors are going to pay over 500.00 for a nos group and they only want top of the line for their top of the line bikes. Your not going to put victory or triomphe on a mint de rosa or masi are you? no...those groups go only on lower end bikes...and those arent worth much anyway. 300.00 would be a good price to get for that group...id sell it to proguy and forget the ebay fees. by the way proguy...what bike did you have in mind to put that stuff on? ps im not saying it doesnt work good...it probably works great....im just saying...big collectors wont pay much for it......best of luck however. let us know what you do get for it.
Perhaps you guys didn't hear me the first time.....
"I don't know about being lucky to get $500, but I can tell you almost assuredly that they will not go as low as $300, because I'll keep the group or sell the components individually before that happens!"
Old 12-05-11, 04:21 PM
cpsqlrwn
OldSchool

OK, the Victory group is about to go up on eBay, probably tomorrow or Wednesday. I've got a slideshow set up for viewing which is here....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/1394981...96317921/show/

To summarize the group, the only piece that is not true NOS is the headset, and it is in excellent condition. The other parts are as follows...

Bottom Bracket - New In Box
Hubset 36 Holes - New In Box
Crankset 53-42, 170mm - New In Box
Downtube Shifters - New In Package
Rear Derailleur (S3 version, last generation) - New In Package
Front Derailleur (braze on) - NOS, a little shop wear
Brake Calipers - NOS, no shop wear
Brake Levers - NOS, no shop wear

Please take a look at the slideshow and let me know what you think. Thanks!

Last edited by cpsqlrwn; 12-06-11 at 12:06 PM.
Old 12-05-11, 04:34 PM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
I have someone that wants to give me a pair of NOS 36h Victory Chrono rims. This group would mesh nicely with that.
72 Frejus (for sale), Holdsworth Record (for sale), special CNC & Gitane Interclub / 74 Italvega NR (for sale) / c80 French / 82 Raleigh Intl MkII f&f (for sale)/ 83 Trek 620 (for sale)/ 84 Bruce Gordon Chinook (for sale)/ 85 Ron Cooper / 87 Centurion IM MV (for sale) / 03 Casati Dardo / 08 BF IRO / 09 Dogma FPX / 09 Giant TCX0 / 10 Vassago Fisticuff

Old 08-12-19, 11:20 AM
kingkelly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WELL, how much did the group end up going for???
Old 08-12-19, 04:57 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
Originally Posted by kingkelly

Old 08-12-19, 06:06 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,376 Times in 891 Posts
Bueller....Bueller... @cpsqlrwn ?
Old 08-12-19, 06:08 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by kingkelly
8 years ago? Who cares. It would probably go for a totally different price now.
Old 08-12-19, 06:37 PM
cpsqlrwn
OldSchool

Originally Posted by lostarchitect
8 years ago? Who cares. It would probably go for a totally different price now.
My sentiments exactly. I can't remember last week, let alone 8 years ago. The only thing I can tell you for sure is that they would have gone for a lot more in 2011 than they would today.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.