Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

SA X-RF8 with 26" wheel

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

SA X-RF8 with 26" wheel

Old 11-06-13, 07:57 AM
Roll-Monroe-Co

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
SA X-RF8 with 26" wheel

From the unknown mists of time in my hub drawer, I have a Sturmey-Archer X-RF8, the first production batch of these "low-normal" eight-speed hubs.

I'm thinking of setting up a 559-wheeled MTB with this hub.

I've read the John Allen's Sheldon Brown article about this hub, which only says that you have to consider smaller chainrings for this hub to get a range of gearing that goes up and down.

What I'm wondering is whether the tiny chainring necessary to get a useful gear range with a 26" wheel will put unsustainable torque on the internals (or, as Mark Stonich once memorably said, "make guacamole"). Any thoughts? Probably not, or Sheldon Brown article would have mentioned this. But I thought I would check.

There is also the consideration of the hub's reliability. What is the typical failure mode? If they fail, can they be repaired, or are they toast? Would building a wheel with this generation of the hub be a dumb investment?

Also out of curiosity, I could mentally reclassify the X-FR8 as a sunk cost and buy a new, complete wheel if the cost was similar to building one from the hub I have. Anybody know where one can get a pre-built, 559 7- or 8-speed IG wheel?

Thanks.
Old 11-06-13, 10:25 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Low is the 1:1 cog drives hub directly.. that x wheel diameter is your low .. 26"

If the chainring has the same tooth count [made somewhat difficult .. hub goes for odd numbers, 25, 23, 19.

chainrings, at least the little ones, typically, are even numbers.. 24, 26, 28.

Advantage comes with building up the hub in a smaller wheel ,

you might build up a minivelo with 406 or 451 rims.. or a folding bike..

as to last Q , dont you have a bike shop around you?
Old 11-06-13, 02:45 PM
Roll-Monroe-Co

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Low is the 1:1 cog drives hub directly.. that x wheel diameter is your low .. 26"

If the chainring has the same tooth count [made somewhat difficult .. hub goes for odd numbers, 25, 23, 19.

chainrings, at least the little ones, typically, are even numbers.. 24, 26, 28.

Advantage comes with building up the hub in a smaller wheel ,

you might build up a minivelo with 406 or 451 rims.. or a folding bike..

as to last Q , dont you have a bike shop around you?
Uh, thanks, I think. As I said, I'm aware of how it's geared and what would be necessary to make it work in principle, which is the reason I posted.

My question was whether gearing it so low would turn the internals to goulash.

Yes, lots of bike shops. I'm assuming you didn't mean to be as condescending as you sound. I had in mind sources on the internet or not local to me that built them (or had them built) that would be cheaper than asking my LBS to do it. That's why I used the word "pre-built." Around here I could have them custom-build me anything, but it would not be very cheap, compared to retail prices I have seen on already-built IGH wheels in the past.

Last edited by Roll-Monroe-Co; 11-06-13 at 02:52 PM.
Old 11-06-13, 03:02 PM
fietsbob
Banned

the torque of reduction gears tends to be harder on little internal gears,
because the force you are resisting is Gravity + the added leverage of the gear ratio.

so companies like Rohloff state the minimum chainring size for a given cog.

on the upper end no limits are stated , because the force to over come, is acceleration &
air resistance of you moving through the air. on more level or even downslope ground.

another example : Schlumpf makes a mountain drive and a high speed drive , the gear is the same 2.5:1

reduction gear it needs a strap around the chain-stay, and a reaction strut lever ..* or a stop knob

overdrive , you just chamfer the BB shell and put a compressible
gripping conic washer between the 2..
friction and the compression-ring digging in is sufficient.

* I have a MD on my Brompton .. there is a shelf behind the BB shell
to set the Torque levers stop knob on top of it.

Last edited by fietsbob; 11-06-13 at 03:05 PM.
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 11-06-13, 03:15 PM
Roll-Monroe-Co

Originally Posted by fietsbob
the torque of reduction gears tends to be harder on little internal gears,
Yes, that's why I'm asking if anyone knows the specified or practical limit of this particular hub.
Old 11-06-13, 03:51 PM
fietsbob
Banned

S-A USA Rep's office is is in California , North Bay Area , drop him an EMail .

NB: there are no reduction gears in the SA X-RF8, to re-state.
1:1.2 has been used by others .

28:25
Old 11-06-13, 03:54 PM
cycle_maven
Collector of Useless Info

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well, Sturmey-Archer sells a 38-toothed crank to go with the 8-speed hub. The low gear would be 38:25 and the high would be the equivalent of 38:8 or so (which would be about the same as a 52:12). That's a little high for my tastes.

They did have some longevity problems on that hub when laced to larger wheels. I feel pretty safe with my 20" folder, but it seems a little fragile for putting 1.5 times the torque on it...

Bottom line: Try it with a 34-36 chainring, but use cheap spokes since you might be rebuilding the wheel with a Shimano Alfine.
Old 11-06-13, 07:06 PM
ntdt

Bikes: Robin Hood 3 speed

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sturmey-Archer has crankset FCS80 with 30t. I currently have a bike with 32t crank, 25t sprocket on 622 wheel.
Old 11-06-13, 07:26 PM
surreal

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Some notes:
-the earliest SA 8speeds were plagued with reliability problems; later ones have been better, but if yours is, indeed, an early example... beware.
-The torque-making-guac-of-an-IGH problem occurs in the underdrive gears; since you'll have the most torque in the robust 1:1 ratio low gear, and less torque as you move up thru the planets, you'll not likely have problems directly related to the gearing. I have seen, on the interwebs, folks with incredibly low-ratio SA 8 speed drivetrains; they didn't report any more problems than the folks with a more "normal" ratio.
-fietsbob has trouble posting here without chastising ppl for not supporting their LOS. Sometimes, when we're very lucky, he'll forgo the LBS support post and instead randomly suggest a Magura HS33 hydraulic rim brake. I have no idea why, but I will say that F-bob seems to mean well, mostly.

As I see it, you already have the SA 8 speed; it's not quite free, but it's money you already spent, and you'll likely wonder how it would've worked out if only you had built it. so, yeah, I'd go for it, if I were you. Just remember the limited cogs available for the hub, and select the ring that will give you your intended gearing, without concern to the torque-monster. If the small 'ring kills the hub, than it simply wasn't meant to be....
Old 11-06-13, 08:23 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Even Joking , I'm well intentioned. ..
Old 11-07-13, 06:07 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
I have a wide range SA 8 speed in a 700c wheel, geared 30/25 for about 31 gi in low gear. I did experience a hub failure a while back when it started freewheeling in 4th gear.
I'm pretty sure it was caused by a sticking shift cable. It chipped a pawl and ring gear tooth, and as near as I can figure, the debris must have caused the freewheeling condition.
Sturmey Archer sent me a replacement internal assembly, but a thorough cleaning of the broken internaland lubing with ATF, and it's still buzzing along just fine.
My theory is, that you can pretty much gear it as low as you want to go, as long as you only use first gear for hard pedaling, as it's direct lockup across all 3 stages, and no torque is borne by the gear train.
I
m short of time right now, or I'd link to some videos I did of this hub. Maybe later.
Old 11-07-13, 06:25 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,806 Times in 1,052 Posts
Numerous posters on various forums have claimed the 'all up' Sturmey 8-speed hub was intended for small wheel bikes. When pressed, not a single one has been able to document any official statement or claim by the company stating that was actually the case. As previously mentioned, Sturmey sells a companion 30T chainset, and for the 2009 Interbike show they displayed bikes fitted with the XRF8(W) and 700C wheelsets.

I've ridden an XRK8(W) with a 30x25T primary on ISO35x590 wheels for 3+ years. It's schweeeeet. But where the XRF8(W) is a man, the older XRF8 is a boy. Seriously, the two designs share only concept and cogs. The original XRF8 design turned out to be the least valuable piece of intellectual property SunRace bought from Nottingham. Most posters on several forums report a lifetime of 500-1200 miles for XRF8 hubs, although the occasional user gets long, trouble free service. Production of the XRF8s ended in 2008, the warranties have long since expired and I can't advise on the availability of spare components.

Last edited by tcs; 11-07-13 at 02:05 PM.
Likes For tcs:
Old 11-07-13, 06:35 AM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by Roll-Monroe-Co
Anybody know where one can get a pre-built, 559 7- or 8-speed IG wheel?
Soma offers them.
Old 11-07-13, 06:42 AM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by Roll-Monroe-Co
From the unknown mists of time in my hub drawer, I have a Sturmey-Archer X-RF8, the first production batch of these "low-normal" eight-speed hubs.
SunRace built Sturmey-Archer hubs have a four character alpha-numeric code stamped in the hub shell. The first letter is the year of manufacture: A = 2001, B = 2002, etc.
Old 11-07-13, 09:02 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Originally Posted by tcs
Numerous posters on various forums have claimed the 'all up' Sturmey 8-speed hub was intended for small wheel bikes. .
There is no question that the all overdrive design lends it'self to small wheel bikes, and for a time, I bought into the line that this was a limitation, but my experience has convinced me otherwise.
They can quite safely and successfully be used in full size wheels.
Likes For Dan Burkhart:
Old 02-27-18, 05:50 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Originally Posted by brianhamp
Sorry to bring back to life a 5 year old post however I am in the middle of a build with a X-RF8 (W) with 26 x 1-3/8 wheel. I am just wondering how your hub is holding up and if you have had any problems with it over the years.

I am going with a 28/25 chain-ring/sprocket.

Your U-tube videos and forum discussions have inspired me to do this... I hope it works out...
Your build should be workable. The 28/25 combo will give you a gear inch range of about 29 to 96 which is quite serviceable and still well within the safe zone for torque input.
My XRF8 did experience a failure. I lost 4th gear. I contacted Sunrace USA and they sent me a new set of internals.
With the new internals in hand, and with nothing to lose but a bit of time, I cleaned and lubed the old broken internal assembly and put it back in. It worked fine. I can only assume it was the broken pieces preventing engagement.
I have not used the bike for a year or more. Too many bikes, not enough room, so it's stashed away in a dis assembled state.

Old 02-27-18, 12:52 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Noting, They have a 4 speed now, still direct low, other gears go up in 25% increases.
Old 02-28-18, 01:14 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Nope, not me.. I have , discontinued now, Sram i-9.. in a small wheel bike they're 4 reduction gears 4 overdrive gears..
Old 02-28-18, 01:56 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
1. Make some assumptions or measurements of your maximum input force (weight + pull on bars + safety factor) at zero speed.
2. Calculate chain tension and torque at the hub for each combination of chainring and sprocket as recommended by SA (wheel diameter does not factor in).
3. Observe the maximum values from step 2 as design limits to select your desired chainring/sprocket combination.

It's just arithmetic, not scary.
Old 03-01-18, 05:51 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Hello Dan. Thank you for the encouraging words about my new build. I really can't wait to start riding it. Just waiting for the new shifter to arrive....
So would you say it was a successful build for you?? Would you recommend this hub X-RF8 (W)?? Have you tried the new 4 Speed?

Thank you for your encouraging words and videos. I hope you bring the X-RF8 back to life!!!
To be honest, I think the Shimano Alfine is a better option for an 8 speed hub. The main reason I built up the 8 speed SA in the first place was to have a demo bike for prospective customers to try out.
I have dealer accounts with two North American Sturmey Archer distributors, and neither of them have stocked 8 speed hubs for quite some time.
Not to discourage you from your build, I'm sure it will serve you well. I'll just caution you from my experience to be sure to keep the shifting adjusted properly, and ensure the shift cable is free running. I think it was a sticky cable that lead to my failure.
Old 04-05-18, 08:45 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Dan can I ask you another question before I go on with this build...
I have the opportunity to get my hands on a 22t crank set. 170mm crank arms. Along with a 25t rear sprocket with 26 x 1-3/8 wheels would that be too small? I really dont understand the gear inch stuff...
I have a 28t chainring 25 t Sprocket now. however I never seem to get past 4th gear. I would like to use more gears or should I just leave it?
I am also looking at a Sturmey Archer 33t crank set for this X-RF8 (W) set up.... What would you go with?? I dont want to buy a bunch of spare parts....
Your opinion is always appreciated...
Thanks
I just ran your numbers through this gear calculator, and came up with this. Note the high torque warning in red.

It shows the gear inch range to be about 23.5 t0 75. Probably about what you want,
By massaging the numbers a bit, replacing the 25 tooth cog with a 23 and moving the chainring tooth count from 22 to 23, the high torque warning is gone, and the gear inch range is about 26 to 85. Still pretty rideable, except I don't know if there is such a thing as a 23 tooth chain ring.

The graph illustrates the greater ratio gaps at the top and bottom of the range compared to the 6 closely grouped ratios in between.

I think you will find the 33 tooth cg too big.

Last edited by Dan Burkhart; 04-05-18 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04-06-18, 06:03 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Thanks Dan. You sure know about gears!!! Amazing!!
So I wont get the SA 33t crankset.
So what about this idea... Keep the 22 t Chain ring but go to the 23t rear sprocket? Better than 22/25? I want to get the most I can from this hub.
This is my errand bike. Grocery gitter!! No high speed pursuits!! I am thinking I will be able to post pictures in about a week... I do have a pic of the 22t crank..
Thanks for your help again.... Greatly appreciated!!
Well, that combo will be just inside the high torque warning, so assuming there is a margin for safety, and you won't be applying huge amounts of torque anyway, I'm sure you will be OK.
I have always felt that the low gear in this hub is capable of handling higher torque input because each stage drives the next in direct lockup. No torque is transmitted through the gear train.
Old 07-07-19, 12:19 PM
Dan Burkhart 

I have been riding this bike everyday since the snow melted and have had no issues at all. Just installed my new Brooks b67 aged saddle yesterday. This bike is truely a nice ride.
Great stuff! Thanks for the update. My SA 8 speed bike has been passed on to my grandson and it's working great for him.
Likes For Dan Burkhart:
Old 07-07-19, 02:33 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
Great bike brianhamp. Sure looks like my 1973 CCM, except the crank, chain guard and mine had an Alu stem. What is the name on your headbadge??

I bought mine 3 years ago all original with a SA 3. I wanted a drum brake on the back, so I went all in and got Dyad 584 rims and 38mm Marathon Plus tires. I'm disappointed it is 10% slower than the SA RD5w with 700c. After wearing out the antique front tire, 1930 miles LOL, I put the nice old hub with the new rim and spokes. The braking got WORSE, WTH. So the rims got lighter and the tires got heavier. LOL My SA 5w shifting went goofy with the indicator always sticking going back in.

Anyway, I have ridden My CCM to S. Cooking Lake, Millet and Gibbons. I had it 46/18T first, now 46/19T. Shift speed went from 14 to 10 mph. My tour super heavyweight is going great with a Rohloff. All last summer I was on tour to Oregon and back, 3,900 miles.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 07-07-19 at 02:48 PM.
Likes For GamblerGORD53:
Old 07-14-19, 06:41 AM
Dan Burkhart 

One thing I can say about the 8 speed Sturmey Archer is that from my experience and perception, it is the most free running, efficient multi speed gearhub I have or have had in my fleet. I seems to lose very little efficiency to internal drag.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.