Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Stolen road bikes on craigslist

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Stolen road bikes on craigslist

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-15, 01:04 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18354 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by Stucky
First thing I do when contemplating a CL bike, is to ask the seller for the serial number. Legit sellers will have no problem giving it; often even sending you a pic of it (as was the case when I bought my Venge). If they hem and haw/make excuses or otherwise don't provide the serial number, then it is likely stolen.
I've done that, especially when buying things like frames. However, some of the vendors have very complicated serial numbers... 3 or so strings of digits on the bottom bracket. I suppose one should also be very proactive in checking that they actually provided the right numbers.
Old 05-23-15, 01:20 PM
RoadGuy

Bikes: 89 Schwinn 754, 90 Trek 1100, 93 Trek 2300, 94 Trek 1400 (under construction), 94 Trek 930, 97 Trek 1400

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by yankeefan
I've been eyeballing a few bikes on craigslist for the past couple of weeks and its been shocking how many listings I see where the seller knew next to nothing about the bike he's selling, which leads me to believe that these people are not the original owners of the bike. Not to mention the ridiculous prices, either way too high or suspiciously low. Do you still buy the bike knowing its probable history and justify it to yourself that you're getting the price for a steal (literally!)? My conscience kinds of bothers me, but if I don't buy it someone else will so its not like I'm helping the original owner by not buying the bike... what do you guys think? I'm mainly referring to mid-level road bikes

My family used to own a market, and a liquor store down in the bad part of Los Angeles when I was young, and both of my brothers and I worked there. People used to bring stuff to the stores that they were selling all the time. Truck Drivers often brought new stuff that they claimed they were given as a substitute for payment in cash, or from a broken box/crate. Less trustworthy looking people brought used stuff. Sometimes junk and sometimes very nice. At times I considered buying some of the new items, but never did. And never bought any of the used stuff. I/we were pretty sure that the used stuff was mostly stolen, and both of my brothers bought car stereos and road bikes. They rationalized by saying that the stuff was already stolen, and them buying it didn't make any difference, as someone else would if they didn't. Myself, being a victim of theft several times, (bicycles, car stereos, and my first Porsche) never did, as I knew how the people who were victims probably felt).

I did get a big smile on my face one day after my younger brother told me that the car stereo he had bought dirt cheap a few weeks ago had been stolen while the car was parked at the store while he was working. I was thinking "KARMA". Also thought that the Thief/Seller knew exactly where to find that car stereo when he was looking for a few quick bucks.

These days I buy used bikes. I haven't bought a new bike from a LBS in over 20 years. I'm usually looking to try riding bikes that I haven't before, or of a type or class that I don't own (yet). The best bargains are usually bikes the need some TLC, not the newest, or latest. As such, the odds of the ones i'm looking at/for being stolen/hot is greatly reduced.

Just be aware that: "What goes round comes around", it really does. The guy that sells you something that is hot, knows exactly where to find one like it when he finds another Buyer who wants one.

Last edited by RoadGuy; 05-23-15 at 01:34 PM.
Old 05-23-15, 01:36 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by RoadGuy
They rationalized by saying that the stuff was already stolen, and them buying it didn't make any difference, as someone else would if they didn't. Myself, being a victim of theft several times, (bicycles, car stereos, and my first Porsche) never did, as I knew how the people who were victims probably felt).
That is supporting the thieves... it makes the problem worse. Cut out the market, and the thieves will go away, or move on to easier to fence items.

I still think most of the stuff is legit, but the more used stuff I buy, the more of a chance I'll pick up something that was stolen. How careful are thrift stores at screening their merchandise?

It would be nice if E-Bay and Craigslist would be more proactive at requiring serial numbers (both in a searchable format and visual format), and maintain better searchable archives (which is good for both pricing merchandise, as well as hunting down thieves).

I have wondered if spelling errors are intentional which can knock out statewide and national searches. For example, I recently looked at a "recombinant" bike (which was actually a good description of it).
Old 05-23-15, 08:31 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by JamesRL
That's likely a variant of an urban legend I first heard in the 70s. Boy sees a newspaper ad for a Porsche for $100, can't believe it, takes dad with him, buys the car with all the paperwork. Dad asks why so cheap. Woman says Hubby ran away to Vegas with his secretary and wired her asking her to sell the Porsche and send him the money....
I bought a motorcycle from a guy for a really good price who was getting divorced, he would rather someone get a great deal than the ex get the money.
Old 05-23-15, 09:19 PM
Wallonthefloor

Bikes: All-City Big Block, Giant Bowery, KHS Flite 100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by dtrain
What - you got a weird feeling standing with $1k in cash in front of the tent camp, under the freeway, with used needles and the smell of urine all around? What did you think could go wrong?
Absolutely gold LOL! This is why we have google streetview.
Old 05-23-15, 10:32 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by Grillparzer
The police catch the stupid criminals or the unlucky ones. This guy seems to have gotten away with it.

PSA: If you find a Capital Bikeshare bike, don?t try to sell it on Craigslist - The Washington Post
Ha, we have those horrible things in my city, and I have to work on them. The boss rocked up with one that'd been hit with a spraypak to cover the stickers, as if you can't tell one of these from a mile off.

Dunno what the schmuck was thinking he'd do when it got a flat; these have theft-proof fasteners everywhere.
Old 05-23-15, 11:36 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by JamesRL
That's likely a variant of an urban legend I first heard in the 70s. Boy sees a newspaper ad for a Porsche for $100, can't believe it, takes dad with him, buys the car with all the paperwork. Dad asks why so cheap. Woman says Hubby ran away to Vegas with his secretary and wired her asking her to sell the Porsche and send him the money....
Old 05-24-15, 10:08 AM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
97% of the stuff on CL these days is ridiculously over-priced; 3% is "too good to be true"- which are just scammers wanting you to pay via MoneyGram or similar, and offering to ship the item to you "for free".

Antyhing that seems to be reasonably priced, when you go to see it, there's something (or several things) seriously wrong with it.

On the rare occasion you see a truly good deal, it's gone in 15 minutes.

Most things I see on my local CL are ALWAYS at least an hour away; often two! ONCE, I saw a good deal on a tractor that was 10 minutes down the road from me, I called the guy; got dressed (it was in the morning); hopped in my truck and shot right over....only to see someone just getting ready to pull out with the tractor on their trailer! GRRRrrrrr!!!!!!! (A few days later, they had that tractor back on CL for 40% more than they paid for it.)