Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Newbie Wheelset upgrade Questions

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-15, 08:17 AM
rbk_3

Bikes: Trek Emonda S6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I have read that a new wheelset can make as big of difference as anything you can do to a bike.

My question, what would I have to spend to upgrade to a noticeable improvement over the Bondagers that came with my bike?
Old 05-24-15, 08:19 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
I bet if you really tried, you could provide a smidgen more information. Carnac the Magnificent has long since retired.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 05-24-15, 08:25 AM
rbk_3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
I bet if you really tried, you could provide a smidgen more information. Carnac the Magnificent has long since retired.

More info:
Bike Trek Emonda S4
Me 5'11 196
Pretty casual rider, usually just go out myself 25-100k
Might look to do some sportives.
Old 05-24-15, 08:26 AM
kc4sox

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What wheels came on it ? I'm assuming Bontrager race ?
Old 05-24-15, 08:35 AM
rbk_3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Specs say

Front Hub
Bontrager alloy

Rear Hub
Bontrager alloy

Rims
Bontrager Tubeless Ready
Old 05-24-15, 08:37 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Even before you tell us which wheels you already have, I can say this. You can't ask other folks what it would take to upgrade your wheels. You need to know that yourself. IOW you need to want something, otherwise you are not able to obtain an improvement. So what do you want. If the answer is nothing, then do nothing. If the answer is lighter weight, then we can talk you down that path. If the answer is aero, that is a different route. If the answer is carbon, and so forth. If you don't know that you want anything, then what would be an upgrade to you. Yes I am being a bit of a prick here, but just think about what I am saying. No matter what you do, you won't go much faster. It is all vanity for the casual rider anyway. So ride a while more, and bye and bye you may feel a "need". Then we can help you fulfill that. Just spending money, because other folks think you should, makes no sense at all.

BTW riding alone mostly you are very fortunate. There is no one to tell you what all you are lacking. If I were you, I wouldn't rock that boat.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 05-24-15, 08:48 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 730 Times in 353 Posts
Heck, I have 40 year old steel rimmed 27 x 1 1/4" wheels on my bike. I like 'em. If the wheels turn freely, and are round, not much to be gained by getting new ones.

Improve your pedaling, endurance, power, then think about what you want out of wheels. One of the best frame builders in the country gave out a secret to me. "If a bike has pedals, wheels, handlebars, yeah it should ride well". In other words they are all kinda the same, a bike is a bike.
Old 05-24-15, 09:04 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by rbk_3
So I have read that a new wheelset can make as big of difference as anything you can do to a bike.

My question, what would I have to spend to upgrade to a noticeable improvement over the Bondagers that came with my bike?
$700-$1000 to get a rear PowerTap wheel and optional matching front for aesthetics. You can use that to optimize your structured training plan and pace efforts so you go as hard as possible without blowing up. That increased my power to weight ratio from under 1.9W/kg to over 3.5W/kg which lets me use a 50 ring on hills where I needed a 30 and cover over 20 miles in an hour out and back. A matching front will add a bit more.

Modern deep alloy rims have OK aerodynamics at a 0 degree yaw angle and moving to something more aerodynamic will only net you 10W at 25 MPH. At 250W that may increase your speed on flat ground with no wind from 23.7 to 24.0 MPH dropping your 40k time 53 seconds from 1:03:01 to 1:02:08. Expect to spend at least $1000 on that pair of wind tunnel tested carbon wheels (otherwise the only performance guarantees are a fast look and cool wooshing sound).

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 06-04-15 at 10:13 PM.
Old 05-24-15, 09:15 AM
yankeefan

Bikes: Too many to list

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Specs say

Front Hub
Bontrager alloy

Rear Hub
Bontrager alloy

Rims
Bontrager Tubeless Ready
Believe it or not those are actually pretty decent wheels for a casual cyclist. As pedantic as he may sound, Rob is pretty right in terms of going faster the biggest upgrade you can make is losing body weight/getting fitter. A lot of "upgrades" really are just hype, though for a competitive rider the marginal improvements are worth it, especially since they likely have sponsors providing the equipment for them.

In any case, the mid-tier wheels for recreational cyclists are typically in the $500-$1000 range, but you'd have to spend closer to $1000 to really see a noticeable improvement, though it really depends on how you define "improvement". You can get cheaper ($300-$500) factory wheels imported from UK dealers, but they won't be much of an upgrade over what you have now. There are a lot of cheap "aero" alloy wheels that are quite heavy but are built with top quality hubs for riders who ride primarily on flat roads at 20+ mph so they roll really well except when the gradient ticks upwards; then they become even worse than your stock wheels. Then you have "climbing" wheels which are typically lighter and "stiffer", though a lot of them come with rider weight restrictions. This is assuming you want regular clinchers.
Old 05-24-15, 09:15 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts

Old 05-24-15, 09:20 AM
rbk_3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice, fellas.
I think you talked me into sticking with the stock wheels, at least for now.
Old 05-24-15, 10:34 AM
rbk_3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think if I am going to spend my money on anything, it is going to bed a pro fitting.
Old 05-24-15, 10:49 AM
Wallonthefloor

Bikes: All-City Big Block, Giant Bowery, KHS Flite 100

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts
On my bike I upgraded stock "Giant" wheels to "Shimano".. a $200 upgrade and it made a world of difference. Although I do ride hard and those wheels were nearing the end of of their lifetime
Old 05-24-15, 10:54 AM
loimpact

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix Evo 3; 2014 Cannondale Quick 4; 2014 Cannondale Crash 4 hi-mod

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I think if I am going to spend my money on anything, it is going to bed a pro fitting.
No.......No.......You definitely need wheels!

Mercury M5 Series - Mercury Wheels

These will....

"make you go faster at less effort all around"

and

"when you get up to speed, the speed just keeps coming. It's like the momentum makes it easier to stay at those higher speeds too!"

Yes, I'm being facetious but this is just another one of the things I was told yesterday. (by 2 owners of said wheels, previous Ksyrium riders) Oh, and they won Eric Marcotte a national championship so maybe you could e the next national champion? (shrug)
Old 05-24-15, 04:20 PM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Even before you tell us which wheels you already have, I can say this. You can't ask other folks what it would take to upgrade your wheels. You need to know that yourself. IOW you need to want something, otherwise you are not able to obtain an improvement. So what do you want. If the answer is nothing, then do nothing. If the answer is lighter weight, then we can talk you down that path. If the answer is aero, that is a different route. If the answer is carbon, and so forth. If you don't know that you want anything, then what would be an upgrade to you. Yes I am being a bit of a prick here, but just think about what I am saying. No matter what you do, you won't go much faster. It is all vanity for the casual rider anyway. So ride a while more, and bye and bye you may feel a "need". Then we can help you fulfill that. Just spending money, because other folks think you should, makes no sense at all.

BTW riding alone mostly you are very fortunate. There is no one to tell you what all you are lacking. If I were you, I wouldn't rock that boat.
then don't be.