Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Are there any advantages using paper maps on your long distance rides?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Are there any advantages using paper maps on your long distance rides?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-18, 09:20 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,349 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
In my toodling around Southern and Central Mexico this year, it became clear how the Google carro has been most places, which was pretty helpful at times.
I'm certainly used to not using it, but boy Google maps can become a often used tool.
Google hasn't been in some places in NJ (the most densely populated state in the US).

It's still a useful tool (even if it's not complete).
Old 04-24-18, 09:30 AM
tmac100

Bikes: More bicycles than I can ride at one time: 2 custom made tourers, a Brompton 6-speed, and an Indian-made roadster.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
I tour outback Australia. No internet nor mobile/cell service in most outback/rural places. Paper strip-maps work for me. This will also happen this June-July when touring Cape York. There (Cape York) you are lucky to find a telephone of any sort...
Old 04-24-18, 09:49 AM
axolotl

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
Google hasn't been in some places in NJ (the most densely populated state in the US).
Which exit?
Old 04-24-18, 10:33 AM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by tmac100
I tour outback Australia. No internet nor mobile/cell service in most outback/rural places. Paper strip-maps work for me. This will also happen this June-July when touring Cape York. There (Cape York) you are lucky to find a telephone of any sort...
True. Yet one benefit of electronic navigation is to indicate exactly where you are, which means distance and time to destination. This works very well offline.

See for example bRouter suggested route between Brisbane and Cape York. Could have been generated offline.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Picture2.jpg (16.9 KB, 38 views)
Old 04-24-18, 10:55 AM
njkayaker

I tour outback Australia. No internet nor mobile/cell service in most outback/rural places.
You can download maps to your smartphone. It doesn't make much sense to rely on having cell service anywhere. Especially, since it's easy to download maps.
Old 04-24-18, 10:56 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by axolotl
Which exit?
It's "what exit?"
Old 04-24-18, 07:37 PM
tmac100

Bikes: More bicycles than I can ride at one time: 2 custom made tourers, a Brompton 6-speed, and an Indian-made roadster.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by gauvins
True. Yet one benefit of electronic navigation is to indicate exactly where you are, which means distance and time to destination. This works very well offline.

See for example bRouter suggested route between Brisbane and Cape York. Could have been generated offline.
While the Electronic Navigation may be great to tell you exactly where you are, the time to destination means nothing. Road and creek conditions will throw a wrench into that idea.

Try riding those roads and you will see what I mean. Then of course there is the issue of keeping your unit charged up - best to turn it on only when you need to know "exactly where you are".
Old 04-24-18, 08:52 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
While the Electronic Navigation may be great to tell you exactly where you are, the time to destination means nothing. Road and creek conditions will throw a wrench into that idea.
Depending on the software you use, or with mental computation, ETA will consider your average speed, given the terrain, into making its forecast. So, wind, mud, fatigue, etc. can be factored. IIRC, my Garmin Edge had optimistic estimates. Locus is somewhat better. With some experience, I'd say that it is reasonably accurate (10%?)