Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wahoo Elemnt questions

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Wahoo Elemnt questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-18, 09:05 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Wahoo Elemnt questions

So I'm pretty sure I'm done with Garmin, now I'm deciding between the Elemnt and the Elemnt Bolt.
Wahoo is offering $80 cash back for the Elemnt which makes it the same price as the Bolt, $249. Which would you choose for the same price? As far as I can tell the biggest differences between the two is screen size and battery life (15hrs vs. 17hrs), neither of which are a big deal to me, and the Bolt's screen is brighter, not a huge deal either I guess.

But, my one big requirement is that my computer uploads to Strava via bluetooth through my phone. I seem to be finding conflicting information about this regarding the Elemnts. Can someone put my mind at ease and reassure me that they will upload without wifi?
Old 05-16-18, 10:30 PM
texbiker

Bikes: Cervelo Caledonia Rival AXS eTap, Blue Norcross AL, Lynskey Helix

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 81 Posts
I use the Element. It uses wifi to upload to the three online services I use when I finish the ride. But the Live Track connects to the phone which then uploads to the Wahoo server while I ride. So I think Bluetooth is the connection between the Elemnt and the phone.
Old 05-17-18, 07:29 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
I have a bolt. If you use it with the phone app, the phone records your data as you go (your computer does too) and uploads it automatically when your done. If you don't use it with the phone, you can upload from the computer directly when in wifi (you have to set up the computer to connect to the network of course) and it will also sync with your phone the next time you connect it. I believe the phone connects via bluetooth.

The Wahoo computers are intended to be used with a phone. You don't have to do have your phone with you when you ride, but all the setup is done via an app on the phone (which makes it really easy and user friendly). I've had mine for about a month now and have had absolutely no issues or complaints. But... if someone is "one of those people" who refuses to have a smartphone, then Wahoo likely isn't for them.
Old 05-17-18, 08:09 AM
shoota 

Thanks guys. I understand all that about WiFi and pairing with my smartphone.
I specifically need to know if I can upload my ride through my phone, NOT while on WiFi.
Say I’m out in the boonies, nowhere near WiFi, and I finish my ride. Will the ride upload to Strava through my phone?
Sounds like it but I really need to make sure.
Old 05-17-18, 08:23 AM
Qajohn

Bikes: Cervelo C3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It will upload via your phone without WiFi. I did my first ride last night with the Elemnt Bolt. When the ride was completed, I got a notification on my iWatch saying my ride was ready to load to Strava. When I opened the app, I was able to make any editorial changes and save the ride before leaving the parking lot.
Old 05-17-18, 08:31 AM
shoota 

Originally Posted by Qajohn
It will upload via your phone without WiFi. I did my first ride last night with the Elemnt Bolt. When the ride was completed, I got a notification on my iWatch saying my ride was ready to load to Strava. When I opened the app, I was able to make any editorial changes and save the ride before leaving the parking lot.
Thanks dude! Great first post too
Old 05-17-18, 08:50 AM
exime

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With Garmin 520 your ride is instantly uploaded to strava no waiting for wifi and automatic. I was considering buying a Bolt earlier so this thread caught my eye but if it can't upload to strava via bluetooth that would be a deal breaker.
Old 05-17-18, 09:33 AM
MindTrip

Bikes: '15 Cervelo S3 Trek Alpha 1.5

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It will load to Strava automatically from the Bolt via Bluetooth to your phone to Strava servers. However, wifi is required when downloading routes to the Bolt. I've had them pinned via Ridewithgps, but it will not sync through my phone or directly to the Bolt with out wifi. I ran into this issue recently when I decided I was going to take the shorter of the 2 group rides, but had only downloaded the longer prior to rolling out. After fighting with it for a few, I was lucky enough to catch up with a straggler who had printed a cue sheet. We rode at a conversation pace and have been friends every since.
Old 05-17-18, 10:02 AM
shoota 

Originally Posted by exime
With Garmin 520 your ride is instantly uploaded to strava no waiting for wifi and automatic. I was considering buying a Bolt earlier so this thread caught my eye but if it can't upload to strava via bluetooth that would be a deal breaker.
It'll upload without wifi. There are multiple people confirming this. We're good to go.
Old 05-17-18, 10:17 AM
shoota 

Originally Posted by MindTrip
It will load to Strava automatically from the Bolt via Bluetooth to your phone to Strava servers. However, wifi is required when downloading routes to the Bolt. I've had them pinned via Ridewithgps, but it will not sync through my phone or directly to the Bolt with out wifi. I ran into this issue recently when I decided I was going to take the shorter of the 2 group rides, but had only downloaded the longer prior to rolling out. After fighting with it for a few, I was lucky enough to catch up with a straggler who had printed a cue sheet. We rode at a conversation pace and have been friends every since.
I thought they released an update that allowed route uploading through bluetooth? According to DC Rainmaker it does. I trust him.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/03/...th-review.html

Second section bullet points.
Old 05-17-18, 10:23 AM
MindTrip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
I thought they released an update that allowed route uploading through bluetooth? According to DC Rainmaker it does. I trust him.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/03/...th-review.html

Second section bullet points.
Sounds great! I need to check for a software update when I get home.
Old 05-19-18, 10:21 PM
mbw

Bikes: 18’ Trek Domane SLR, 06’ Trek 1500

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for pointing out the $80 thing. I just bought an elemnt today without even knowing about that. Awesome deal.
Old 05-20-18, 08:00 AM
shoota 

Originally Posted by mbw
Thanks for pointing out the $80 thing. I just bought an elemnt today without even knowing about that. Awesome deal.
You are welcome. I went with the Bolt.
Old 05-20-18, 10:10 AM
MindTrip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have confirmed this morning that my Bolt does not upload routes without WiFi. I went into settings of the Element app and turned off WiFi, then attempted to sync route with no luck. Thinking this one setting may disconnect Bluetooth as well, I went back into settings and turned WiFi back on, but put in the incorrect password on purpose, went back to the Bolt and attempted another sync. The new route never appeared within the list. Element app says software is up to date. While syncing without WiFi the Bolt would look for USB and show "Synced" shortly afterwards. It's not important to me, as I usually plan my routes from home the day before with the Bolt nearby, but for those having the same issue in syncing through your phone via Bluetooth without WiFi, you are not alone.
Old 05-22-18, 09:41 AM
OBoile

Originally Posted by shoota
Thanks guys. I understand all that about WiFi and pairing with my smartphone.
I specifically need to know if I can upload my ride through my phone, NOT while on WiFi.
Say I’m out in the boonies, nowhere near WiFi, and I finish my ride. Will the ride upload to Strava through my phone?
Sounds like it but I really need to make sure.
As qajohn said, yes it will.
It can load either from the device directly via wifi or from your connected phone anywhere (subject to your phone's settings of course).
Old 05-22-18, 09:43 AM
OBoile

Odd, routes sync through my phone for me. I don't need to be connected to wifi to do that. I created and used one while at a friend's house this last weekend. My Bolt wasn't connected to his wifi at any time.
Old 05-22-18, 12:21 PM
MindTrip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OBoile
Odd, routes sync through my phone for me. I don't need to be connected to wifi to do that. I created and used one while at a friend's house this last weekend. My Bolt wasn't connected to his wifi at any time.
Can you compare your companion app version with the one I've screenshot and attached?

And to those who can upload routes without wifi, are you running Android or iOS?

Last edited by MindTrip; 05-22-18 at 02:24 PM.
Old 05-22-18, 12:32 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
I just turned off my router, powered up the Bolt, paired up to the Wahoo app (Android) and logged a 30-second 'ride' - it uploaded just fine and dandy without WiFi.

Edit: ah, the terminology being used had me confused - I see that y'all are now talking about downloading routes to the Bolt, not uploading rides via BT connection to the phone. Carry on!

Last edited by WhyFi; 05-22-18 at 12:42 PM.
Old 05-22-18, 02:19 PM
OBoile

Can you compare your companion app version with the one I've screenshot and attached?

And to those who can upload routes without wifi, are you running Android or iOS?
I don't see any screen shots.
Just so we're on the same page:
I created the app on Strava (maybe that's the difference) using my computer on my friend's wifi. https://www.strava.com/routes/13327439
I synced up my phone (Wahoo ELEMNT app on Android) which was also on my friend's wifi (but don't see how this would be different on data and I'm pretty sure my initial sync was using my phone's data plan).
My phone synced with my Bolt which was not connected to any wifi (it only has my home wifi login credentials).

Worked fine, got a beep when my bolt complained as I did a 2nd lap of the route rather than turning for "home".
Old 05-23-18, 04:50 AM
MindTrip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't see any screen shots.
Just so we're on the same page:
I created the app on Strava (maybe that's the difference) using my computer on my friend's wifi. https://www.strava.com/routes/13327439
I synced up my phone (Wahoo ELEMNT app on Android) which was also on my friend's wifi (but don't see how this would be different on data and I'm pretty sure my initial sync was using my phone's data plan).
My phone synced with my Bolt which was not connected to any wifi (it only has my home wifi login credentials).

Worked fine, got a beep when my bolt complained as I did a 2nd lap of the route rather than turning for "home".
Using Strava vs RwGPS for routing could be a key difference. I'll have to create a short ride via Strava and see. Unfortunately, most of the members of the club I'm affiliated with use RwGPS exclusively for route planning.
Old 05-23-18, 07:02 AM
OBoile

Okay, I see the picture now. It looks like your phone just won't connect. I can definitely connect/sync and all that without wifi being present.
Old 05-23-18, 07:21 AM
MindTrip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay, I see the picture now. It looks like your phone just won't connect. I can definitely connect/sync and all that without wifi being present.
LOL. It connects, just took the screenshot from the office to show the software number for reference.

Are you all using Wahoo Premium by chance?

Old 05-23-18, 07:48 AM
OBoile

LOL. It connects, just took the screenshot from the office to show the software number for reference.

Nope. Not using premium.
Old 05-23-18, 10:43 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts

What is Wahoo Premium? I have to ask as I have no idea, iPhone only thing? Nada by that name on Android.
Old 05-23-18, 11:24 AM
MindTrip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
What is Wahoo Premium? I have to ask as I have no idea, iPhone only thing? Nada by that name on Android.
From what I gathered it let's other riders know your whereabouts in real time and also alerts you when a segment is approaching and notifies you know if you set PR afterwards.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.