Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Of bikes and the coming darkness

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Of bikes and the coming darkness

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-08, 08:45 AM
EvilV
Bicycling Gnome

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cradduck
keep $100 at the ready. that way you can go 180 miles as long as your getting more than 18mpg overall. The read "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy when you where you need to go...now THAT senerio would suck.
18 MPG!!!

I'll sell you my diesel Skoda Fabia. I get 55mpg in stop start urban driving and can easily get 65 - 68 mpg at 70 mph on the motorway.

Next to my bike, it is one of the most efficient forms of transport there is. I can also get my Merc in the back without fully folding it and without putting the rear seats down. If I put the rear seats down it will take two mountain bikes inside - one on top of the other. I put a bit of spare stair carpet between them to stop scuffing.

Old 03-19-08, 08:53 AM
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser

Bikes: Gazelle Trim Trophy, EG Bates Track Bike, HR Bates Cantiflex bike, Nigel Dean fixed gear conversion, Raleigh Royal, Falcon Westminster.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I get similar mileage from my Citroen AX Diesel, and it only cost me £195. Even my Citroen XM diesel ( a whopping £500) gets over 50 on the motorway. Sweeeet!
Old 03-19-08, 09:14 AM
EvilV
Bicycling Gnome

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You got a bargain there then Sammyboy.

Back in the 1970s I had a petrol Landrover that did 12mpg. Shudder - never again. I've had a few motor bikes that used a lot more fuel than this Skoda. It's a VW of course really. Virtually identical parts were on my VW Golf - engine too.
Old 03-19-08, 01:12 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by EvilV
18 MPG!!!

I'll sell you my diesel Skoda Fabia. I get 55mpg in stop start urban driving and can easily get 65 - 68 mpg at 70 mph on the motorway.

Next to my bike, it is one of the most efficient forms of transport there is. I can also get my Merc in the back without fully folding it and without putting the rear seats down. If I put the rear seats down it will take two mountain bikes inside - one on top of the other. I put a bit of spare stair carpet between them to stop scuffing.
I believe the OP is in the US so 18mpg would be about average for most of the readily available cars...

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 03-19-08, 04:27 PM
CHenry

Bikes: A bunch

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wahoonc
I believe the OP is in the US so 18mpg would be about average for most of the readily available cars...

Aaron
Unfortunately true. There is a very poor selection of high-mileage diesel cars in the North American market. Except for VW and Mercedes, none of the European or Japanese makers sell diesels here, and those that do are selling larger vehicles like the VW Toureg which has a monstrous 10 cylinder diesel and costs $70K. There is a market for those kinds of cars, but none of the car makers want to sell diesel cars and the improved low-sulfur diesel really doesn't have a market. If you want high mileage--and not a small hybrid--most of the petrol-engined cars in that class are small and get only around 30 mpg.

Last edited by CHenry; 03-19-08 at 06:14 PM.
Old 03-19-08, 06:11 PM
Keith C. Johns
Dahon Folding Bike Rider

Bikes: Dahon Folder 3 spd, Fuji 12 spd, Panasonic 10 spd, Diamondback 21 spd, Schwinn 12 spd, Honda 21 spd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brakemeister
Downtubes are licensed Dahon technology
or actually made by Dahon and rebranded with some older
Dahon technology, I believe.

written by Keith above .....

That is not true. Downtubes are not made by Dahon. Not even branded or licensed or anything .Nothing to do with each other

Thanks Thor
Thank you Thor. I think you are correct and so I have fixed my original post. I was trying to think of "Yeah" bikes and I confused it with "Downtube". I think I got it right this time.

This rebranding always confuses me: I'd rather just remember the original name. Get a Dahon and be safe.
Old 03-19-08, 06:43 PM
social suicide

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I like the idea of the Raleigh Twenty. If the world comes to an end as we know it, at least you'll have a Twenty.
Old 03-20-08, 12:35 PM
bookishboy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This topic was addressed in some detail (and with just as many jokes about paranoia =) ) in the "Designing a bike for the post-industrial wasteland" thread.

I don't think that you're fail-proof bike could be managed "new" for the $500 price you mentioned. However, for that price you could likely put together something quite capable, particularly if you're willing to repurpose used bikes and parts. One side benefit of this could be a reduction in attractiveness of the bike, which would make it less likely to be stolen either before or after the coming zombie apocolypse. The bike that I propose would likely run between $1200-$2000.

If you're determined to stick with your $500 price, I'd second the recommendation for a Downtube VIIIH. If you want to try towards failure-no-option and can afford $200 more, I'd get a Xootr Swift ($679) or the new smaller steel version when it's available (this year?) and upgrade as finances allow.

My responses from the other thread:

Originally Posted by bookishboy
Neat topic. I was considering starting a similar thread, but wanted to
spend more time thinking about it first.

The thread topic reminds me of the book "Parable of the Sower", which I
mentioned
here.
In this book, the "near-future" scenario isn't related so much to Peak
Oil production, but rather to widespread climate changes that make it
harder to grow food, or find clean water. It just doesn't rain much
anymore. Here are some of the highlights of society's collapse, at
least in this imagining:

-Drug abuse is rampant.
-So is unemployment
-So is homelessness
-The divide between the poor and middle class becomes much more
apparent. Those who still have jobs, who still own property and can
continue to pay taxes on it, tend to band together and build walls
around their clusters of houses, separating them from the poverty and
lawlessness outside.
-People who have houses don't go outside their walls very much, and only
in groups when they have to. Clean clothing and shoes attract unwanted
attention from the people Outside, and may get you robbed or worse.
-Everything costs more money, especially things that used to be taken
for granted, like agricultural products and clean water. This leads
many landowners to adopt a micro-suburban-agragrian way of living,
growing gardens, making acorn flour, etc etc.
-Everything is also in shorter supply, except seemingly for weapons.
Firearms are prevalent, even among the homeless. Everyone scrabbles for
what they have, and have to defend it themselves.
-Most folks walk places. Those who can afford them, use bikes, either
pedal- or electric-powered. Automobiles are still around, but only
corporations or the rich can afford to feed them with gasoline, or
afford the upkeep of them.
-Much of the economy becomes grey-market, black-market, or underground.
Trade becomes as common as cash payments. People use things for as long
as possible, and hand them down to others to re-use. This may be
another reason why bicycles are so common, while cars are not.

In the next post, I'll put my thoughts on what sort of bike I'd look to have/build.
Originally Posted by bookishboy
Ok, so here are some of the thoughts I was having on the subject, and
what sort of bicycle would be ideal for this scenario. Society is
shifting, perhaps collapsing, but it's not Road Warrior quite yet. Roads still exist, though cars are much more sparse and they don't get repaired as regularly. Police are still around, but generally only investigate when people bribe them to. Most folks don't trust the police enough to want them involved when someone gets robbed, or *****, or worse. These are some features I'd look for on a bike, and the reasons why:

-Steel, for durability and affordability. I like the idea of titanium, but unless the cost of titanium comes down dramatically in the next few years, it'd be cost-prohibitive, especially if buying bikes/parts in quantity. More on this below.

-Powdercoat finish, black. I don't know if it's possible to have a dull powdercoat finish (instead of "shiny"), but if not, I'd look into the possibility of having a two-coat finish on the bike.... one to protect the bike from rust as much as possible, and the other to cover up the bike and ugli-fy it... make it as unremarkable and nondescript as possible. All polished or chromed surfaces would also be painted or covered to take the shine off them and reduce notice.

-Folding frame, with telescoping seatpost and headset, and adjustable/reversable stem. The bike will fit into compact spaces. Something as valuable as a bike would be a high theft target if left outside, and many people will be living in smaller spaces than today. A folding bike would be able to crowd into a house, an apartment, a garage, even a rented room. Most folks would go out in groups, for safety, and if someone were attacked or injured, or their bike damaged, it could be carried back in a trailer (more below) while the injured were carried in another trailer. It could be carried back (hopefully) in an ambulence next to the injured, if paramedics were still available and responded to calls. It would use smaller wheels (more below), have a low stepover height, and be able to accommodate a huge range of rider sizes (preteen to tall adult), and riding positions. This bike will be able to fit nearly anyone in the family who is old enough to ride, and re-size in seconds without tools (or very few tools) so that it could change riders even in mid-ride if necessary. Except for the frame-specific folding features, the bike would make use of as many standard parts and accessories as possible. It should not be something that becomes useless when the manufacturer goes out of business or stops supporting a particular model.

-Wheelsize ERTO 406, BMX-standard sized. These tires are used on a huge number of bikes, and would likely be widely available both in the retail, secondary and dumpster/grey-market. Used tires from kids' bikes could be co-opted in a pinch and put onto the bikes. Wheel/tire size is chosen for availability of parts, ride comfort and durability. The tire will be wide enough to operate on- or off-road, small enough that the smaller diameter gives it more strength (for the same spoke-count), but large enough that it doesn't fall into every pothole on the road (there will be more of them than nowadays) or knock the whole bike askew if the front wheel hits a trail-bump.

-NO DERAILLEUR. The bike would at first have an internal hub, something with 8-9 gears. It would be bought with an extra rear wheel built onto a fixed-gear hub, and at a certain point would be switched over to this. The fixed-gear hub would have to accommodate several different sizes of rear sprockets, so that the gear-inches could be tailored to the height/age/fitness of the current rider. The fixed-gear hub would eventually become preferable to the multi-gear internal hub for multiple reasons. As the years go by, parts will become harder to find, more expensive to buy. The simplicity of the machine will become almost obsessively important....fewer moving parts, fewer replacements to find for brake pads, cables, bearings....fewer things that could go wrong and potentially leave the rider stranded uncomfortably far from a safe harbor. One other thing. In a world without cars, the streets would become eerily silent, to a level we're not used to. There would be brief outbursts of sound, someone being attacked or getting into a fight, sometimes gunshots going off.... but the rest of the time there would be fewer and fewer cars, and eventually nearly none at all. The quiet would be something that you'd almost not notice until you went out with your bike one day, and suddenly found that the *tiktiktik* of the pawls in your rear hub sounded un-naturally loud going down the street. Noise would be avoided, because you and your group wouldn't want to call attention to yourselves and your valuables.

-Horizontal dropouts

-A fully-enclosed chaincase, to keep the chain as dirt- and rust-free as possible. I have some ideas in mind on how it'd function, but I'm not a "Maker" so I think I'd trip over myself if I tried explaining it. Basically it'd be adjustable to multiple sizes/angles, so it could still fit the bike if you changed out to a different sized rear cog or went from internal hub to fixie. It'd also need to come off with a quickness, in case of flat tires or wheel maintenance.

-A large saddlebag (Think Berthoud or Rivendell) that detaches easily and doubles as a backpack.

-Demountable rear rack, for larger loads. It would be able to support a large basket, think 2 grocery bags side-by-side in it. The rack comes off when not in use, and can be switched between bikes in seconds. Similar for a front rack, though it'd hold less.

-Demountable fenders. They'd be quick-release, put on when the barometer warns of rain, but can come off when not needed, making the bike lighter/simpler. Also can be switched between bikes in seconds.

-Cables would have quick-releases, and chain would have an easy to use master link.

-Seat would be suspended leather, but could be switched out to a cheap plastic one if parts/cost became an issue further on.
ADDED: Suspended AND sprung leather seat. If the tires have to be switched out for solid rubber tires eventually, the small wheels would be a bit of a discomfort. A sprung seat would be the cheapest, most long-term reliable way to soften the ride.

-When going out in longer group rides, at least 1-2 trailers would be brought along. They's need to be strong enough to carry back firewood, groceries, scavenged supplies, or even an injured ride member.

-This one would have to be factored in, ease-of-use vs. security. I'd prefer anti-theft skewers to be on as many components of the bike as possible. There will be times when the bike will have to be locked up or unattended, and you'd want to have as few parts as possible missing from it when you came back.

-Tires may eventually be switched out for solid rubber tires or Tweels (google it, "tweel segway") in order to deal with lack of replacement parts.

-Quick-release platform pedals with Powergrips on them. Nearly as good as clipless pedals (for people who aren't professional cyclists) at a fraction of the cost, and can be re-sized for different riders. The QR pedals come off whenever the bike is locked up, wich reduces the chances that the bike can be stolen and ridden off. Every bike in the family/group is equipped with the QR pedal adapters, and the pedals can be moved from bike to bike in seconds without tools.

-Here's the kicker, and where steel would gain a distinct cost advantage over titanium. Buy one bike for every member of the family/group, +1. Buy exactly the same model, with exactly the same accessories. One extra fixed-gear wheel for every bike in the group, and half again as many front wheels. A steady supply of brakepads, cables, chains, bearings, grease, spokes. The idea here is that you'll probably be sticking together as a group, and if retail parts availability runs out, you can start cannibalizing wrecked bikes for parts to use on the others. As long as you still have a "safe harbor", a house or garage that you can use as a home-base, try to keep enough tools to be able to fix your own bikes. Not only will you be able to save money on your own repairs, you may be able to parlay your workshop into a source of income or trade.

ADDED:
Lots of people who would even take this thought experiment seriously would consider it from the perspective of "best bike for me".... customized frame, best fit for riding style, most rugged, etc etc. I'm of the opinion that in such a dark future, survival would be best accomplished co-operatively. It'd be a group endeavor. If you're the only one in the group with a bike, the bike would be useless for a good many things you'd have wanted to use it for.... the group on foot would not be able to keep up with you, and by yourself you'd be a too-tempting target for the first resentful homeless person with a gun or a rock in hand. So, you'd want the group to be either all-mounted or none at all (unless you only use the bikes as shopping carts). You'd also want a bike that could best serve the group, rather than best serving yourself; hence the re-sizing ability. It wouldn't be a communist thing, exactly... it'd still be "your bike", but each group member's survival or comfort would be greatly enhanced if you can switch off the bike between members. By having each group/family member use exactly the same bicycle, you'd be increasing the redundancy of needed parts in case the traditional supply chains run out. This bike would also be a form of portable wealth, and much more sale-able if it could fit a wide range of riders. If you needed to pawn it off for other goods, good luck trying to sell a bike that is custom-fit to your body size and riding habits.
I would also highly recommend becoming a regular over at Zombie Squad.
Old 03-23-08, 02:09 PM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
FYI, the OP is a neo-Nazi freak.

https://www.stormfront.org/forum/show...ss-471674.html
https://www.stormfront.org/forum/show...es-396513.html
Old 03-23-08, 03:19 PM
EvilV
Bicycling Gnome

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yup - and I thought he was nuts when I first read the post and as good as said so on page one.

The second of the two quoted posts at Stormfront is most instructive and the first identifies him completely.
Old 03-23-08, 03:31 PM
14R 
Bromptonaut

Bikes: 1994 Diamond Back Racing Prevail ti; Miyata 914, Miyata 1000, 2017 Van Nicholas Chinook

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I would love to have a chance to talk to a neo-Nazi freak. I really want to understand how biological anthropology, Human physiology and every other field of real science shows the benefits of diversity and yet they believe somehow that "pure" "race" (a concept that also does not exist) could somehow be superiorin any field. This is not a joke, I really want to see an intelligent person that believes in white power explaining to me their beliefs.

to keep my post on-topic, the black and white image of the military bike seems adequate to the subject. Batman gauntlets still a plus though.
Old 03-23-08, 06:54 PM
Simple Simon
Life in Mono

Bikes: 5 bikes, all the usual types

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
methinks the op needs a montague folder
Old 03-23-08, 08:02 PM
James H Haury
Hauja

Bikes: not as many but still too many

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am waiting for diesel motorcycles to become available in the U.S. 100 mpg anyone?
Old 03-23-08, 08:03 PM
James H Haury
Hauja

Bikes: not as many but still too many

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Purity?

Originally Posted by 14R
I would love to have a chance to talk to a neo-Nazi freak. I really want to understand how biological anthropology, Human physiology and every other field of real science shows the benefits of diversity and yet they believe somehow that "pure" "race" (a concept that also does not exist) could somehow be superiorin any field. This is not a joke, I really want to see an intelligent person that believes in white power explaining to me their beliefs.

to keep my post on-topic, the black and white image of the military bike seems adequate to the subject. Batman gauntlets still a plus though.
In breeding leads to genetic defects.
Old 03-24-08, 02:12 AM
simsles

Bikes: Claud Butler Mountain Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Diesel motorcycles

Originally Posted by James H Haury
I am waiting for diesel motorcycles to become available in the U.S. 100 mpg anyone?

Diesel motorcycles are, I believe, being considered for military use. The reason is that most military vehicles are diesel, and not only is the fuel safer than petrol, but the motorcyles do not then require a dedicated supply. I don't think that the military are too concerned about mpg.
No problem in getting 100mpg with a motorcycle. In the not so distant past, many lightweight motorcycles
were capable of doing this, and had a perfectly adequate performance.
Like cars, they have, in recent years, become heavier and more powerful, therefore consuming more fuel.
With ever increasing fuel prices, time to turn the clock back.
Old 03-24-08, 03:45 AM
EvilV
Bicycling Gnome

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by simsles
Diesel motorcycles are, I believe, being considered for military use. The reason is that most military vehicles are diesel, and not only is the fuel safer than petrol, but the motorcyles do not then require a dedicated supply. I don't think that the military are too concerned about mpg.
No problem in getting 100mpg with a motorcycle. In the not so distant past, many lightweight motorcycles
were capable of doing this, and had a perfectly adequate performance.
Like cars, they have, in recent years, become heavier and more powerful, therefore consuming more fuel.
With ever increasing fuel prices, time to turn the clock back.
Yes you're right on all counts.

I had a lightweight Honda 125cc single four stroke commuter bike in the 1990s that did 125 mpg. It was only 11 hp, but it went really well considering. With a following wind on the flat you'd see 60 mph at times, but it would go all day at 50 and deliver astounding mileage.

There are diesel bikes around, I think the British Army have experimented with a converted engine from Royal Enfield and the American have a nice looking one with a new engine. As I understand it, the US navy don't carry petrol on any of their ships any longer. Spilled diesel won't even light if you drop a match in it - can't say that for petrol (gasoline).

British Army converted Royal Enfield - based on a 1948 engine design gives over 140mpg at 40 miles an hour.

US Marine Corps Kawasaki with Hayes engine delivers 120 mpg at 80 mph.

Available to civilian market too I think, the stormfront loons are auto screened out by a simple questionnaire and mandatory intelligence test -> https://www.m1030.com/military.htm#bike1

I read somewhere that these machines have to be push started as the high compression ratio makes them impossible to kickstart. Having just ruptured a calf muscle recently starting a big single bike with a kickstart (not a diesel) I can see the sense in shoving the thing and dropping the clutch to start it.

Last edited by EvilV; 03-24-08 at 04:02 AM.
Old 03-24-08, 09:01 PM
cradduck
This town needs an enema.

Bikes: Bridgestone 400

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, if you are getting better than 18mpg, then you'll save enough money to purchase a big mac to hold you over during the apocalypse.