Go Back  Bike Forums > News & Suggestions > Forum Suggestions & User Assistance
Reload this Page >

Attn Mods: Separate Accident Forum Plz

Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

Old 08-09-18, 03:03 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts

I apologize if this should maybe be in the A&S forum.
There are countless threads in that forum that are nothing more than a news story relay that always tends to devolve into the exact same cyclist vs motorist rant.

How about a new sub forum just for accidents?

That way everyone that wants to do nothing more than relay a news story about a cyclist being involved in a hit and run can have one place to do so without anything else detracting from it.

There is some great information on the A&S forum on how to be a safer cyclist. Why dilute it with the same news story with only the names changing?

Last edited by downhillmaster; 08-09-18 at 03:07 PM.
Old 08-09-18, 03:05 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
I am not a mod, but what makes you think discussions revolving around accidents would be any different if there were a separate forum?
Old 08-09-18, 03:07 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,691 Posts
Thread moved from General Cycling Discussion forum to Forum Suggestions and User Assistance forum.
Old 08-09-18, 03:09 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I am not a mod, but what makes you think discussions revolving around accidents would be any different if there were a separate forum?
They would not be different. But 99% of those posts are nothing more than a news story link. They are not safety discussions.
Old 08-09-18, 03:15 PM
FBOATSB

Bikes: Old Stuff

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 343 Posts
If anybody feels forum guidelines are not being followed in any thread or post, that should be of course, reported. If any thread is not interesting to me or goes off the rails, I just stop reading it.
Old 08-09-18, 04:43 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by FBOATSB
If anybody feels forum guidelines are not being followed in any thread or post, that should be of course, reported. If any thread is not interesting to me or goes off the rails, I just stop reading it.
Yup, this ^.
Old 08-09-18, 06:42 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by FBOATSB
If any thread goes off the rails, I just stop reading it.
You can't do that, especially if people posting in the thread are wrong. You have to set them straight and have the last word in doing so.
Old 08-09-18, 07:44 PM
FBOATSB

Bikes: Old Stuff

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 343 Posts
You can't do that, especially if people posting in the thread are wrong. You have to set them straight and have the last word in doing so.
He he, not me. I will confess, however, to subscribing to some of the more spirited "discussions". For educational purposes, of course
Old 08-09-18, 07:50 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Is this you?

Old 08-10-18, 04:57 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 89 Posts
He (Paul Barnard) was being facetious.
(and I thought it was hillarious!)
Old 08-10-18, 06:19 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
I apologize if this should maybe be in the A&S forum.
There are countless threads in that forum that are nothing more than a news story relay that always tends to devolve into the exact same cyclist vs motorist rant.

How about a new sub forum just for accidents?

That way everyone that wants to do nothing more than relay a news story about a cyclist being involved in a hit and run can have one place to do so without anything else detracting from it.

There is some great information on the A&S forum on how to be a safer cyclist. Why dilute it with the same news story with only the names changing?
When the new subforum, “Pills and Ills,” was introduced to the Fifty-Plus Forum, I replied to the now-closed thread giving notice, “FYI a new subforum for you all.”
Originally Posted by Rollfast
If want an actual medical section, by all means don't separate the old from the young or the disabled. That can't be too much to ask.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
A "whimsical" suggestion, how about a Crash subforum, where the old and young could share their cycling disasters? [for example]
…Wow, RF, sorry to hear about this. It sounds like a “major” crash, especially with such damage. I won’t ask “what happened?,” but posting details for me at least gives me renewed attention to such situations on the road
...kind of a "cycling post-mortem."
Presumably such an “accident” subforum would be informational, rather than rants and arguments. Personally, I’m not calling for such a subforum (my comment above was whimsical), and I have frequently posted about my safety strategies, FWIW:
…Over the past few months I have come to realize that my safety aphorisms, collected over the years by personal or vicarious experience,are my way of actively aligning the stars in my favor, to anticipate those unseen and otherwise unanticipated dangers.

FWIW, for my own information at least:…

Those are all I remember for now, and they all pop-up in my mind as I encounter the situation.
(from a now-closed thread) I think I have absorbed all the good advice I can for a complete and agreeable cycling lifestyle, and recently I have clicked on many fewer threads than before.

In the past I have offered IMO several useful suggestions about cycling, particularly for winter and urban cycling, to multiple repetitive threads. They are usually lost in the morass of often scores of replies, both in agreement and dispute with mine.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 08-10-18 at 07:23 AM.
Old 08-10-18, 07:28 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Jim, I am sure you are a good guy, but I don't read your posts. They are so polluted with self-quotes that they become convoluted.
Old 08-10-18, 07:53 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Jim, I am sure you are a good guy, but I don't read your posts. They are so polluted with self-quotes that they become convoluted
… what I have gotten directly from BF [include]…the opportunity to post and literally "journal" my thoughts and activities about cycling and lifestyle (even if nobody else reads them), but which I wouldn't write down otherwise..
…So with my experiences in cycling, and my frequent posting over the years, if I have replied on a recurrent topic, written to my satisfaction, I’ll just quote it.

A further challenge then becomes finding the post.
I have recently posted, as I have previously:
(From a now-closed thread) I think that the use of quote boxes, which I have not seen elsewhere is a remarkable way to graphically diagram a dialogue.

Personally for me, as a diversion, it’s challenging to arrange the quotes, and to find them in prior threads. I think it’s a succinct way to capture the variety of a topic….
Originally Posted by TruthBomb
It’s visual diarrhea, pollutes any thread, and is the opposite of succinct (briefly and clearly expressed).
So when I nest quotes, I feel I’m emulating a conversation…”He said," then “You said," then “I said, and now I’m saying…”

I leave my quotes as links to identify the author, and if anyone is interested in reading further, or verifying those quotes, they can easily be followed right from the post.

By way of further explanation, I like to make my posts self-explanatory, as if someone reading from the last post in a thread forward could understand the context of my post, so I include quotes expressing the entire “conversation.” Often for reference I'll even include the title of the thread itself.

I use ellipses,"..." to eliminate as much as possible, and still leave the context of the quote comprehensible; and I bold [or underline] key words and phrases to emphasize the core content of the discussion.

While even if nobody reads my posts, I do try to communicate clearly to the reader. At least I try to evenly space, and keep my paragraphs short for easier readability, FWIW.
It takes some time to write a properly composed long post [to my satisfaction], and I take my chances that my expenditure of time might connect with another interested reader.
Originally Posted by wphamilton
At last I'm enshrined in a Jim from Boston quote chain, feels like the big time! Thank you.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 08-10-18 at 08:51 AM. Reason: added another quote LOL
Old 08-10-18, 08:13 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by paul barnard
jim, i am sure you are a good guy, but i don't read your posts. They are so polluted with self-quotes that they become convoluted.
+1
Old 08-10-18, 08:41 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I've been "pinged" by my embedded quote ...

So, regarding the topical question, my 2cents is that A&S is already a forum dedicated to bicycle accidents.
Old 08-10-18, 08:44 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Brocephus
He (Paul Barnard) was being facetious.
(and I thought it was hillarious!)
I thought he was funny, as well. 😀