Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

An e-bike is going to happen eventually

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

An e-bike is going to happen eventually

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-19, 08:29 PM
BikeInterest

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rented e-mountain bike in CO so I could keep up with the gang climbing the ski service roads in the summer. Absolute blast and multiple settings can definitely still get your workout in if you power down.
Old 01-04-21, 10:10 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Well, after more than 20 months of lurking on the sidelines, I've purchased my first E-Bike: The Specialized Vado SL 5.0.

It comes along at a time when I'm eager to rebuild my cycling fitness. I sharply stopped my healthy cycling habit in 2019. I was in very good cycling shape during the winter of 2017/2018 and was cycling 300-500 miles per month. 2019 started strong, but I stopped cycling during the summer.

My search for an E-Bike has been very specific. The combination of features I was seeking really didn't exist in the spring of 2019. This included;

28 mph Class 3 performance

Low to moderate pedal assist power, something to improve climbing but that required significant effort from the cyclist.

Light weight, 35 lbs or less total bike weight

Long cruising range.

Well integrated controls, displays and systems

700x38 tire size.

Moderate price point

I really didn't expect to find this combination of features on a production bike. However, a few days ago I noticed a listing for a near new Specilaized Vado SL 5.0 featured on Facebook. Not only did the bike fit my criteria, it was my size and a 75 minute drive from home. The bike had less than 500 miles and is as-new. I saved $1640 from Retail.

See: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/tu...kaAv4mEALw_wcB
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 01-04-21 at 10:38 AM.
Likes For Barrettscv:
Old 01-04-21, 01:18 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Congrats, enjoy, and be safe!
Likes For linberl:
Old 01-04-21, 03:02 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 817 Times in 617 Posts
Long journey ended well; have a ball!
Old 01-23-21, 03:01 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Pictures. I’ve added a Brooks C17 saddle, Ergon GP5 grips, Shimano EH500 SPD Sport pedals, Vittoria Hyper tires and some aerobars I already owned.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 01-23-21 at 06:07 PM.
Old 01-23-21, 05:11 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4343 Post(s)
Liked 3,978 Times in 2,659 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
Pictures. I’ve added a Brooks C17 saddle, Ergonomic GP5 grips, Shimano XT pedals and some aerobars I already owned.
You have the correct saddle, bottles, and good grips. The pedals aren't XT though but still excellent pedals and one I highly recommend. I would try them with the pins or add some pins they will hold on to your shoe better and was one of the things missing from the good ole' PD-A530s which are still an excellent pedals but the grip is lacking on those.

I like the bike. It is taking me some time to get used to aero bars on flat bars but I have come around especially since a lot of top adventure racers and touring cyclists are using them to great advantage and comfort on the long rides.