Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Mirrors

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Mirrors

Old 05-19-19, 11:53 AM
Geekage

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts
I use a helmet mirror. That way I only have to buy one for each helmet instead one for each bike

Seriously, my rationale is that a helmet mirror:
  • Works with any bike
  • Can be smaller for the same field of view, because of the distance to your eye
  • Gives a better overall view since it's easier to rotate your head a little than it is to move your position around a bar mirror
  • Has less vibration
One drawback is that if I'm in a tuck, all I see is my shoulder. I could adjust the mirror more to the side and have to turn my head more, but instead I just pop my head is a bit.

I tried eyeglass mirrors since I figured they would also give a pretty wide field of view, but the problem is that they were too close to my head, so if I set it so I couldn't see my ear, I'd have to turn my head more.

Also, I wasn't too keen on having to remove the mirror from my glasses after every ride. Though every now and then as I'm walking along, I look up and off to the side trying to see behind me in the mirror that isn't there. Or maybe I was just giving someone the side-eye

The generic helmet mirrors I got, something that looks just like this- there are many sellers- may be a bit finicky to install depending on the helmet. I like that the ball joint is easy to adjust while riding since it is easy to knock out of place too. The hook and loop attachment could be stronger, but that's more because the mounting area is flat and it's usually on a curved part of my helmet.

Interestingly, the convex surface of the mirror does a pretty good job correcting for my nearsightedness, so I can see behind me even if my glasses slip down my nose.
Old 05-19-19, 12:12 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Geekage
I use a helmet mirror. That way I only have to buy one for each helmet instead one for each bike

Seriously, my rationale is that a helmet mirror:

• Works with any bike
  • Can be smaller for the same field of view, because of the distance to your eye
  • Gives a better overall view since it's easier to rotate your head a little than it is to move your position around a bar mirror
  • Has less vibration
One drawback is that if I'm in a tuck, all I see is my shoulder. I could adjust the mirror more to the side and have to turn my head more, but instead I just pop my head is a bit.

I tried eyeglass mirrors since I figured they would also give a pretty wide field of view, but the problem is that they were too close to my head, so if I set it so I couldn't see my ear, I'd have to turn my head more.

Also, I wasn't too keen on having to remove the mirror from my glasses after every ride. Though every now and then as I'm walking along, I look up and off to the side trying to see behind me in the mirror that isn't there. Or maybe I was just giving someone the side-eye

The generic helmet mirrors I got, something that looks just like this- there are many sellers- may be a bit finicky to install depending on the helmet. I like that the ball joint is easy to adjust while riding since it is easy to knock out of place too. The hook and loop attachment could be stronger, but that's more because the mounting area is flat and it's usually on a curved part of my helmet.

Interestingly, the convex surface of the mirror does a pretty good job correcting for my nearsightedness, so I can see behind me even if my glasses slip down my nose.
That's just it, its the simpler of all the mounts since its easiest to instantly adjust on-the-fly. You simply tilt your head to change the view.

Last edited by KraneXL; 05-19-19 at 10:41 PM.
Old 05-19-19, 09:20 PM
Bob N.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sanmi
Mirrors dramatically improve situational awareness. This one is my favorite:

EVT Safe Zone Bicycle Helmet Mirror https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003LVHZ4O..._mFl4CbR5FSCZW
+1

Adjusted so I barely see my ear and I can see right over my shoulder without hardly turning my head. It IS huge though. Great for getting the advance warning on traffic coming up behind you so you can plan ahead.
Old 05-20-19, 07:36 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
For myself and my riding, I would rather have a mirror than a helmet. Mirrycle on my hybrid. Bush and Mueller 901/2 on my drop bar.
That is the beauty of having a helmet mounted mirror. If I'm tempted to ride without a helmet (short slow safe rides) I think - but I'll miss my mirror - I need to take my hemlet!!! '-)
Old 05-20-19, 07:39 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
I've long admired those. But having met someone that had her face/eye gouged out from those serrated edges after falling - well I'll stick to the helmet mirrors that have easy breakaway and no sharp edges.

Originally Posted by jimincalif
I use a beer view mirror. It is invaluable.

Old 05-20-19, 07:59 AM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
I've long admired those. But having met someone that had her face/eye gouged out from those serrated edges after falling - well I'll stick to the helmet mirrors that have easy breakaway and no sharp edges.
It actually pops off my glasses really easily. Sometimes I inadvertently pop it off when putting on my helmet or something. Occasionally I think about taping it or otherwise making it harder to come off, but then remind myself I want it to pop off easily in case of a fall. Lots of people in our club have used them for years (a member used to make them before he passed away) with no injuries that I’m aware of. But definitely should be rigged to breakaway easily.
Old 05-21-19, 01:46 PM
Second Mouse
....gets the cheese

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale Caad 8, Wilier Triestina Jareen

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Got one of these Hafny bar-end mirrors from Amazon for about $15:

I used to poo-poo mirrors until I started commuting semi-regularly. This thing is fairly small but very adjustable and stable, not much vibration and gives a surprisingly good view of the road behind me. My knee doesn't bump into it very often and I rely on it a lot - probably too much sometimes - to see what's approaching from behind.

https://www.amazon.com/Hafny-M0nday-...-1-spons&psc=1
Old 05-22-19, 02:20 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by jimincalif
I use a beer view mirror. It is invaluable.
beer goggles?
Old 05-22-19, 08:20 PM
tdonline

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Second Mouse
Got one of these Hafny bar-end mirrors from Amazon for about $15:

I used to poo-poo mirrors until I started commuting semi-regularly. This thing is fairly small but very adjustable and stable, not much vibration and gives a surprisingly good view of the road behind me. My knee doesn't bump into it very often and I rely on it a lot - probably too much sometimes - to see what's approaching from behind.

https://www.amazon.com/Hafny-M0nday-...-1-spons&psc=1
Is this the same mirror or a different model from the same company?

https://www.amazon.com/Hafny-Mirror-...7NCAYT57P09P29

Mirrcyle converted me and I have two of them now. Bought a 3rd bike this year and haven't outfitted it with a mirror yet. Will do soon, was dismissive of mirrors but once you go mirror, you can't go back!

But I'm interested in the one I linked--because apparently it can be tucked away when not in use. I sometimes wish I could do that with my Mirrcyles. Anyone have this mirror? If it can be tucked away, I wonder how well it holds its position when in use?
Old 05-23-19, 02:37 PM
Second Mouse
....gets the cheese

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale Caad 8, Wilier Triestina Jareen

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tdonline

Mirrcyle converted me and I have two of them now. Bought a 3rd bike this year and haven't outfitted it with a mirror yet. Will do soon, was dismissive of mirrors but once you go mirror, you can't go back!

But I'm interested in the one I linked--because apparently it can be tucked away when not in use. I sometimes wish I could do that with my Mirrcyles. Anyone have this mirror? If it can be tucked away, I wonder how well it holds its position when in use?
It looks like the same mirror to me. Here's mine:

I tightened it down pretty firmly so it wouldn't move around, so I haven't tried to tuck it away or anything.
Old 05-23-19, 02:45 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
Andy @ascherer, how do you like your mirror? I think I've become a mirror proselytizer.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-23-19, 05:35 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 931 Post(s)
Liked 2,841 Times in 963 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Andy @ascherer, how do you like your mirror? I think I've become a mirror proselytizer.
I've made peace with it. I don't use it as religiously as I do a helmet. It's also true that my neck isn't as flexible as it used to be. Thank you for persisting in that conversation!

Old 05-23-19, 07:10 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Originally Posted by ascherer
I've made peace with it. I don't use it as religiously as I do a helmet. It's also true that my neck isn't as flexible as it used to be. Thank you for persisting in that conversation!
I'm the other way. Sometimes I put my mirror in my pocket because I *might* take Citi Bike, but I don't take my helmet because of the off-chance.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 05-24-19, 07:10 AM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 931 Post(s)
Liked 2,841 Times in 963 Posts
I haven't found it useful commuting in traffic. By contrast, I use mirrors heavily when I drive. That's due to early training so I guess I'm not yet adept at looking at a mirror quickly in fast-paced circumstances. I find the mirror most effective when I'm on a shared path to know if another rider is coming up behind me, and when I'm riding with others to keep check on how far apart we are.

For those keeping score, I'm using a Bike Peddler eyeglass mount mirror. My wife used an STI-mounted mirror until a fall broke the mounting lug off the top of the brifter. She tried a helmet-mount but it wasn't working for her. She's mirrorless for now.

Old 05-24-19, 08:33 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

I also evangelized to @johnlink to get a mirror. He tried a Take-a-Look mirror on his glasses and didn't like it. He now has a handlebar end mirror on EACH end of his handlebars. He is about to embark on a 4,000-mile trip around the USA, so I'm eager to hear how they work out for him.

On Wednesday, in NYC traffic, I saw in my mirror a patrol car behind me with its flashing lights. I quickly pulled over, and the car went on. So that's good.

Old 05-24-19, 04:06 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by tdonline

I wish the Mirrcycle mirror would fold away too. I've had a couple of them break since I started to use them, it seems no ride is complete without hitting the mirror on something and tucking it out of the way would make things easier when coming in'out of the building etc...
Old 05-24-19, 04:09 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I also evangelized to @johnlink to get a mirror. He tried a Take-a-Look mirror on his glasses and didn't like it. He now has a handlebar end mirror on EACH end of his handlebars.
I got spoiled by a mirror on each end of the handlebar while riding motorcycles, and miss than on my bicycle. But a second mirror would make it even harder to get it through doors, making it harder to bring my bike inside when I get to work.
Old 05-27-19, 04:22 PM
baldilocks

Bikes: Giant ATX Lite & Schwinn Mesa

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
There are mirrors for flat bars and for road bars, but what about the rest of us? I have a Jones loop bar on one bike, and north road bars on the other, and I can't seem to find a mirror that reflects anything but my arm.
I use a small Zefal mirror on my Jone h loop bars.
Old 05-28-19, 07:06 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
I love the mirror on my glasses but when bopping around with my son sometimes I wish that I had a mirror on my bike vs glasses. I have thought about something like this for the two of us. I just need a mirror to mount on drop handlebars and his flat bars.
Old 05-28-19, 07:41 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by RidingMatthew
I love the mirror on my glasses but when bopping around with my son sometimes I wish that I had a mirror on my bike vs glasses.

I have thought about something like this for the two of us. I just need a mirror to mount on drop handlebars and his flat bars.
Is your son a young'un, that is short, riding a short bike?

I once rode with a recumbent companion, low to the ground, and I was able to see him well.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I use both left and right rearview mirrors, in my case Take-a-Look eyeglass mounted ones. I got the idea from a cycling companion who used only a right hand mirror.

The additional right hand mirror affords a pretty good rearward view, but is particularly useful:

This past weekend I rode with a companion on a low-riding recumbent three-wheel trike. I just deflected my right-hand mirror slightly downwards so I didn’t have to crane my neck upwards to see him.

The left-hand mirror was still in place to monitor reaward traffic.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-29-19 at 03:09 AM.
Old 05-28-19, 08:03 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by RidingMatthew
I love the mirror on my glasses but when bopping around with my son sometimes I wish that I had a mirror on my bike vs glasses. I have thought about something like this for the two of us. I just need a mirror to mount on drop handlebars and his flat bars.
I say try it and let us know how it works!

Old 05-28-19, 11:23 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
@noglider someday I will get some. For now he is just working on using gears, which he did wonderful yesterday around town. Second real ride on his geared bike.
Old 05-28-19, 07:13 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
I have Take- a-Look mirrors taped to each of my glasses. I never ride without glasses because I've had numerous pebbles and bugs bounce off them. The mirrors don't shake or get blurry and even if they did, I don't need to read license plates or even know the make and model of approaching cars, I just need to know that there's a car behind me. (Same with head badges and approaching cyclists.)
Old 05-28-19, 10:56 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
On your helmet perhaps?
Old 05-30-19, 11:24 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
Just ordered this for my Pretty Purple Princess Penelope (aka '92 Rockhopper w/north road bars). It's in keeping with the Velo Orange look I'm going for; let's see how it works as a mirror.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.