Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How long to recover

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

How long to recover

Old 05-28-19, 04:18 AM
jjames1452 

Bikes: Trek 720, Trek 620, Trek 520, Steel Schwinns, AD Puch, Kona, Nishiki Pro, All City Disc Spacehorse, Waterford

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 52 Posts
How long to recover

I'm wondering how long it's going to take to recover from a crash.

I'm in my northern 50's now.

I injured my left shoulder, left leg, and hit so hard, I lascerated my kidney. I wear helmets always, and it did its job. I hit head first and did not lose consciousness.

My injuries are all muscle and tendon/ligament related. Very black and blue. Very sore.

30 years ago, I'd have ridden this past weekend, after a week of healing.

I think now I'll hit the gym each morning and ride the stationary recumbent for the next week or two, and venture out on the road mid-June.

Any experiences with healing?
Any tips? I eat ok, and drink plenty of water.
Old 05-28-19, 05:19 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
What did your doctor tell you?
Likes For Machka:
Old 05-28-19, 05:29 AM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 128 Posts
My last crash involved lots of road rash and a very sore lower back. I was off work for 3 days (doctors orders ), and off the bike for 2 weeks.

That's been my only bike incident that my wife made me seek medical attention for.

Last edited by Wileyrat; 05-28-19 at 05:33 AM.
Old 05-28-19, 05:51 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
What did your doctor tell you?
This.
Not sure why folks find this forum, valuable as it is, a fount of medical diagnosis, prognosis, etc.
Likes For bobwysiwyg:
Old 05-28-19, 06:31 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
Take as long as you feel you need. Your doctor will give sensible, probably cautions, and very generic medical advice---he cannot know how well each person recuperates, or how quickly anyone might heal in a given situation.
Listen to your body, and probably, be more cautious than you need to be.

Last time I crashed hard, I re-injured by cracked collarbone twice and turned a six-week recuperation into three months. I got excited, I was overeager---I wasted six weeks of starvation (so as not to bloat up while inactive) and Complete inactivity---I lived one-handed pretty much exclusively, which was a real pain---because when I finally was able to use the arm I overstressed the bone and rebroke it. Twice. Not recommended.

Give your body time to heal deeply. Then start really slowly until you are sure that you are okay. Don't be like me, it's no fun.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 05-28-19, 06:34 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
This.
Not sure why folks find this forum, valuable as it is, a fount of medical diagnosis, prognosis, etc.
Ask a question, increase post count !!!
Old 05-28-19, 07:00 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
Old people don't bounce very well. It can take a while to fully recover. I hit some ice and fell hard on my hip, shoulder and head. I still felt some mild aftereffects for 2-3 months, or maybe longer. Then they stopped.
Old 05-28-19, 07:18 AM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by jjames1452
I injured my left shoulder, left leg, and hit so hard, I lascerated my kidney [..] My injuries are all muscle and tendon/ligament related.
Glad you're mostly OK and sorry about the crash.

You don't say what kind of shoulder injury you have .. anything specific that needs to heal?

I'm about the same age as you. For comparison, I crashed last year and injured my AC joint in my right shoulder. It was very painful but not separated. I was off the bike and on restricted activity for the shoulder and light activity for the rest of me. I didn't ride or exercise other than walk for three months. I didn't wear a sling during the day but did use it at night to keep from putting my shoulder in some strange and injurious position. After three months I let myself ride again, which came back quickly. I slowly added weight-bearing work with my arms. Now there's no loss of function and occasional minor pain that I can't tie to specific activities, so basically fine.

Last edited by rseeker; 05-28-19 at 04:22 PM.
Old 05-28-19, 07:30 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 913 Times in 535 Posts
First of all. I'm glad you're ok.

My second thought was "Why rush it?". Is there any particular reason you need to get back on the road that wouldn't allow a little additional rest/recovery?
Old 05-28-19, 07:43 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
To all of the nannies that apparently don't read whole posts, and just start yelling that this is a forum and not a doctor's office, this is what the OP asked:

Originally Posted by jjames1452
I'm wondering how long it's going to take to recover from a crash.
Any experiences with healing?
Any tips? I eat ok, and drink plenty of water.
They're asking for tips for people who have gone through the same. It's pretty simple-- if you've crashed, tell them how long you took to recover. If you haven't, then maybe don't post as you have nothing valuable to contribute. I'm sure the doctor gave some explicit instructions about the lacerated kidney.

I hyperextended my left wrist in a crash on February 1st, and it's still not 100%. I never stopped riding for that one, but couldn't bear full weight on it for about 6 weeks. I broke my right hand two years ago, and some days I think it's never going to be right again. I was on the trainer within 5 days (no weight on the casted hand, obviously,) and back on the road in 41 days. When I asked the bone guy how long until it was normal, he said, "Normal? You'll be back to normal activities within maybe 2 months, but you're not a 17 year old kid anymore, so you'll have full strength and range of motion in five to seven years. That will be the new normal. It will never be like it was."
Old 05-28-19, 07:58 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
You lacerated a kidney. That's not muscle or ligament related. I've never had internal injuries to worry about. I had a couple of bicycle and motorcycle accidents that resulted in hematomas (bleeding in the muscle layers) on my hip. They are really painful and take a long time to resolve. It took around 6 weeks for the blood to be reabsorbed and the pain to go away. It hurt like hell to apply pressure to the hip, even slightly restricted clothing. I didn't ride again until the pain went away.
Old 05-28-19, 12:28 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
First of all. I'm glad you're ok.

My second thought was "Why rush it?". Is there any particular reason you need to get back on the road that wouldn't allow a little additional rest/recovery?
You kiddin'? We're old and don't have that much time left!
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 05-28-19, 03:42 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

I guess I'd say, "Take a little longer than you think you need to at least ... and come back slow and easy."

As @BlazingPedals says, we are running out of time, but I can tell you that if you re-injure because you got foolhardy and excessively brave, the added recovery time feels like three times as long.
Old 05-28-19, 09:19 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Quoted: 4268 Post(s)
Liked 2,938 Times in 1,812 Posts
OP will find the answer to this as he goes along. He's not asking for medical advice, really. He's feeling bad about all the time in the saddle he's going to miss and the fitness he's going to lose and he's looking for support and encouragement.

It will take time. As I close out my 50s and see 60 on the horizon, both healing and regaining fitness take longer than they used to. At various times in the last 5 years, I've had forced time off owing to different kinds of injuries or orthopedic problems. they have been as challenging mentally as they were physically - riding is at least as important to my mental health as it is to my physical health. So though patience is required and small steps in the right direction - like hitting the gym - are a good idea, it's also a good idea to find something else to focus on - a home improvement project, another hobby, socializing with friends you've been neglecting, etc.
Old 05-29-19, 03:04 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
It's different for everyone. I'm 61 now and thought I was in reasonably good health. I was hit by a car last May, breaking and dislocating my shoulder. A year later I'm still in physical therapy and not fully recovered. And there were other health complications unrelated to the collision injury that prevented me from getting surgery for the shoulder (main issue was thyroid cancer, discovered during X-rays for the shoulder and neck injuries; and early onset osteoporosis, both of which shocked the hell out of me).

Meanwhile a friend who's 20 years younger broke her collarbone much worse, needed appliances to screw everything back together. She was back on the bike in a couple of days and doing fast group rides in a week. Age matters.

I walked for the first several weeks, then a friend gave me a Cycleops trainer he wasn't using. I started back on that around mid-June, using a road bike on the trainer. I did lots of range of motion and stretching exercises.

By the end of June I was riding my comfort hybrid with flat bar, suspension fork and big soft tires.

It was two months after the injury before I tried the road bike outdoors. As I recall it was pretty uncomfortable the first few rides. I did several 20-40 mile rides that month.

In August I was out most of the month as the thyroid problem worsened. I tried some light weights and resistance bands with the shoulder and re-injured it. So I switched back to range of motion and stretching only for the rest of 2018.

By September I was feeling a bit better, back on the hybrid for outdoor rides, road bike on the indoor trainer. October-November were pretty much the same, moderate effort, not back to full strength.

Surgery for thyroid cancer in November, back on the bike in two days.

Since then it's just been a slow, gradual slog, getting back into shape. I've been back in PT for a month, and the shoulder is improving, but it still aches almost constantly, mostly around the shoulder blade, neck and mid-back, but not so much where the actual dislocation and break occurred. It still limits me to 20-30 miles on the road bikes, although I'm able to ride continuously or take one short break to stretch. I do longer casual rides on one of the hybrids with albatross bars at saddle height.

For me, the sluggish recovery has been surprising. When I was younger I bounced back quickly from injuries and illnesses. Even three years ago when I fell and injured some ribs it was pretty painful for almost six weeks, but I was back on the bike in two days and kept riding as usual. The painful part was getting in and out of bed. Riding a bike didn't really hurt the ribs.

But this shoulder thing has dragged on much longer than I'd have anticipated. Probably different for everyone. I see a couple other guys in the same PT clinic sessions who are nursing shoulder injuries, and even though they're younger my progress has been faster. I'm getting stronger with better muscle tone, stability, etc. It's just that darned constant aching that bugs me.

I still walk several miles a week, usually 1-3 miles at a time. I walk to the grocery store rather than taking the errand bike, and lug as much as I can carry, treating it as another PT session. I still can't carry much more than 10-15 lbs any distance on the injured shoulder, and switch off a lot between the good and bad arms.

I take a prescription oral anti-inflammatory -- diclofenac. No more ibuprofen. I have prescription pain meds but don't use them often. Lots of soaks in hot baths with epsom salts.

Lots of supplements. No idea if they actually help. I've cut back on some that didn't seem to do anything.

I cut way back on sugar and beer. Lost 10 lbs since this time last year just on those diet changes. I still use sugar in coffee and eat an occasional donut or cookie, but not often. Mostly I was curious about theories connecting sugar and alcohol with inflammation. I did feel more aches from beer, even a moderate amount of one or two a week.
Old 05-29-19, 04:35 AM
Maelochs

Hang in there, Cankle.
Old 05-29-19, 05:27 AM
tigat

Bikes: 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL (GRX Di2), 2020 Domane SLR 9 (very green), 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
Rush-never. Aggressively pursue rehab within the bounds of medical advice-maybe.

When I shattered my femur at 57, I was lucky to have a surgeon who was comfortable with sports rehab. I went quickly from a stationary recumbent to a road bike on a trainer to the road, then hiking and running. In six months, I was pretty much at full flexibility and strength.

True, as we age, we don't heal as quickly. We also take much longer to get back into shape after losing it. For those of us who depend on the joy of riding to smooth out some of life's bumps, safely recovering quickly has its own health benefits.
Old 05-29-19, 08:44 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 413 Times in 246 Posts
You have a doctor. That is who you should ask this question.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Likes For bbbean:
Old 05-29-19, 10:04 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
My practice has been to do what I can comfortably do. Discomfort is fine, but I stop at pain. Pain is not good, but it does take discomfort to move the tissues around enough to cause them to heal up properly. That means I usually start out on my rollers doing recovery spins of increasing length. When I get up to an hour without pain, I'm good to go.

What you're doing sounds good. Do that until you feel you can do more.

Doctors actually aren't very good at this. It's not taught in medical school. I'm lucky, I have a doctor who's an endurance cyclist. He got hit by a car a month ago, pretty bad, concussion, bad chest contusions and heamtoma, cracked ribs. He rode 82 hilly miles on Sunday. And got a new bike he'd coveted, for free.
Old 05-29-19, 10:47 AM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Doctors actually aren't very good at this. It's not taught in medical school.
On top of that, a lot of doctors tend to be over-cautious---most doctors would probably prefer their patients stay home and rot on the couch and develop diseases for which there is daily medication. Risking life and limb being healthy? But it's a Risk! @Carbonfiberboy got lucky ... and in fact anyone who is athletic should probably consult an athletic doctor. For someone like myself, who is no athlete though still a cyclist ... average info is good enough, but foe healthy, active people who want to stay that way .... talk to the right physician.

Or ... learn to listen to your body and not your brain. The brain tends to bounce between over-enthusiastic and over-cautious. The body will tell you what's really up.
Old 05-29-19, 11:06 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
On top of that, a lot of doctors tend to be over-cautious---most doctors would probably prefer their patients stay home and rot on the couch and develop diseases for which there is daily medication. Risking life and limb being healthy? But it's a Risk! @Carbonfiberboy got lucky ... and in fact anyone who is athletic should probably consult an athletic doctor. For someone like myself, who is no athlete though still a cyclist ... average info is good enough, but foe healthy, active people who want to stay that way .... talk to the right physician.

Or ... learn to listen to your body and not your brain. The brain tends to bounce between over-enthusiastic and over-cautious. The body will tell you what's really up.
My doc says that if he could write one prescription for every one of his patients it would be exercise!
Old 05-29-19, 11:37 AM
tmac100

Bikes: More bicycles than I can ride at one time: 2 custom made tourers, a Brompton 6-speed, and an Indian-made roadster.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Take as long as you feel you need. ........
Give your body time to heal deeply. Then start really slowly until you are sure that you are okay. Don't be like me, it's no fun.
Smashed up in early February (the 9th) and cracked 6 RS ribs (6th to 11th) and my right ilium was cracked in 3 places. Fortunately no operations needed - just healing and time was needed.

I spent 5 days in hospital then 5 days at home. On crutches for about 6 weeks. The Orthopod is a bicyclist so knew what he was talking about. Said to forget my summer tour of Australia for this year and heal for 6 months. I can now do some stationary cycling/spinning. In early August I will do a 6 day tour in France. He said :For God's sake be really careful".

Oh, by the way, I will turn 71 in late June and am psyched up for France. Australia training will begin next February. Here is Doha it is dangerous to ride/train on the roads and my Orthopod spoke of several bicycling routes without cars/trucks...
Old 05-29-19, 06:07 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Nothing wrong with asking a doctor, but in my experience if you ask three doctors about relatively subjective stuff like healing from injuries and physical therapy, you'll get three different opinions. That's exactly what I did after my shoulder injury last year, and that's exactly what happened -- three different opinions on surgery, physical therapy and recovery estimation.

It wasn't like the simultaneous situation where I was also being checked for thyroid cancer. Every endocrinologist and surgeon from two different medical centers had the same diagnosis and recommendation for surgery.

That's why some folks sometimes ask some questions of ordinary folks about some health issues.
Old 05-31-19, 08:48 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,226 Times in 1,249 Posts
I agree it should be up to your physician . I had a bad crash just over a year ago at the Eroica California Event 2018 . I hit the ground face first and luckily I was wearing a helmet. That did not keep me from breaking my orbital bone and my cheek bone in 5 places . I also had numerous lacerations on my legs and shoulder . Stitches here and there , also a broken outer metacarpal on my left hand. I did exactly as my hand surgeon and E.N.T. Dr. told me as I did not want to prolong the healing process. It took about 10-12 weeks before I got back on my bike . That was really tough because I ride a lot . If I would have banged my head prior to the orbital bone healing , I could have gone blind . yea that's right it scared the cycling right out of me. I finished up a bike that required many hours of labor to restore so to keep myself from being tempted. When I finally returned to the saddle , I was a bit more cautious and nervous , but soon resumed riding as before. Joe joesvintageroadbikes.wordpress
Old 05-31-19, 08:53 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,226 Times in 1,249 Posts

At the hospital waiting for the MRI results
Hell yes it hurt!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.