Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The clicking sound of different freehub setups?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-16-19, 09:41 AM
riverdrifter

Bikes: 1985 Cannondale SR500, 1990 Cannondale ST600, 1993 Cannondale M700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 108 Posts

I'm not sure I'm using the correct terminology here, but I'm just wondering why some rear hubs are loud and others are quiet?

Five bikes in my family currently and they all have varying noise levels.

My Jamis road bike has a Formula hub with SRAM 12-26 8-speed cassette. It is completely silent, pedaling and coasting.

My vintage Raleigh with Shimano 3 speed is loud while coasting. So is my wife's Raleigh Alysa hybrid, it has a Sunrace 7 speed cassette.

My son has a full chromoly Framed single speed BMX that is extremely loud when coasting.

My my daughter has a GT mtb that has a Sunrace 8 speed cassette, and it's the second quietest of the bunch. Still much louder than my Jamis though.

Just one one of the many random thoughts I have when we are all riding together.

Thanks!
Old 06-16-19, 09:44 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by riverdrifter
I'm not sure I'm using the correct terminology here, but I'm just wondering why some rear hubs are loud and others are quiet?

Five bikes in my family currently and they all have varying noise levels.

My Jamis road bike has a Formula hub with SRAM 12-26 8-speed cassette. It is completely silent, pedaling and coasting.

My vintage Raleigh with Shimano 3 speed is loud while coasting. So is my wife's Raleigh Alysa hybrid, it has a Sunrace 7 speed cassette.

My son has a full chromoly Framed single speed BMX that is extremely loud when coasting.

My my daughter has a GT mtb that has a Sunrace 8 speed cassette, and it's the second quietest of the bunch. Still much louder than my Jamis though.

Just one one of the many random thoughts I have when we are all riding together.

Thanks!

Hi. The mechanisms have different mechanics and thus different sounds. Much is marketing and the sound is engineered. For cassettes, its the freehub mechanism (in the rear hub) that makes noise, not the actual cassette.
Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 06-16-19, 11:52 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
There are a number of different freehub mechanisms and each one has its own distinct sound. A freehub is built into a hub shell (for use of a cassette) and a freewheel is threaded onto a hub. Classic freehubs and freewheels typically both use pawl/tooth ratchet system. A 3spd is typically an internally geared system and is completely different. They typically make a distinct sound when coasting (planetary gear system) For the classic pawl/tooth mechanism, the number of teeth, the number of pawls, as well as the angle of the teeth, all affect the sound. More teeth and and pawls, the louder it will typically be. BMX freewheels typically have more teeth and pawls for faster and more precise engagement, and are often much louder than road freewheels and freehubs. Shimano freewheels and freehubs typically have only two pawls and fewer teeth, so they are considerably quieter.

heres a good video covering some of the most common freehub mechanisms:

Last edited by seamuis; 06-16-19 at 12:00 PM.
Likes For seamuis:
Old 06-16-19, 01:46 PM
riverdrifter

Bikes: 1985 Cannondale SR500, 1990 Cannondale ST600, 1993 Cannondale M700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 108 Posts
Originally Posted by seamuis
There are a number of different freehub mechanisms and each one has its own distinct sound. A freehub is built into a hub shell (for use of a cassette) and a freewheel is threaded onto a hub. Classic freehubs and freewheels typically both use pawl/tooth ratchet system. A 3spd is typically an internally geared system and is completely different. They typically make a distinct sound when coasting (planetary gear system) For the classic pawl/tooth mechanism, the number of teeth, the number of pawls, as well as the angle of the teeth, all affect the sound. More teeth and and pawls, the louder it will typically be. BMX freewheels typically have more teeth and pawls for faster and more precise engagement, and are often much louder than road freewheels and freehubs. Shimano freewheels and freehubs typically have only two pawls and fewer teeth, so they are considerably quieter.

heres a good video covering some of the most common freehub mechanisms:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=syG-5gun1Dw
Thanks for linking that video. Interesting stuff!
Old 06-16-19, 02:09 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Unless a freehub is louder because it is self-destructing, generally there is no correlation between sound level and quality of the mechanism.
Old 06-16-19, 02:26 PM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Originally Posted by JanMM
Unless a freehub is louder because it is self-destructing, generally there is no correlation between sound level and quality of the mechanism.
Nobody has mentioned quality, but different types do produce different type of sounds and varying levels of sound.
Likes For seamuis:
Old 06-16-19, 08:00 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by seamuis
Nobody has mentioned quality, but different types do produce different type of sounds and varying levels of sound.
Correct. OP mentioned loud vs quiet and some folks assume there must be something wrong with a freehub that's louder than what they are used to.
Old 06-17-19, 03:34 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Originally Posted by JanMM
Correct. OP mentioned loud vs quiet and some folks assume there must be something wrong with a freehub that's louder than what they are used to.
Some people might, but that’s not what the OPs question is about.
Old 06-17-19, 12:26 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
I definitely like a road hub with more engagement. If you climb out of saddle and you change gears and lay off the power for that one revolution so you don't jam gears/chain......it's nicer on a hub with more engagement. More fluid of a motion.

Also silly, but nice getting that perfect foot start position at a stop light/sign too.

The noise? You should be hammering it, not freewheeling. If you find yourself freewheeling in a paceline you're wrong also. You should lightly rotate the crank over so that when you do need to apply power there isn't a lag and consequential accordion in the line.

If on front downhill, hammer it and pull off just before the bottom and let the crew by. Then suck on at the end of the line as they're slowing going up. I absolutely hate group rides where someone freewheels all the downhills.

If you're worried about people running into people, see comment 1. Pull hard and pull off before the bottom.
Old 06-17-19, 06:07 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
I almost never stop pedalling, as i use regenerative battery charging. But the sound of the freewheel is amplified through the large diameter hub motor so much it'd be enough to let pedestrians know i'm approaching..