Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

High Protien low fat diet

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Old 09-30-05, 08:51 PM
Elvish Legion
JOCP Senior Advisor

Bikes: 1979 Shcwinn Varsity, 2005 Speciazlied Transition Multi-Sport, 2005 Specailized Sirrus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well wanting to drop some weight my doctor/personal trainner (he does a bit of both) recommened a Low fat, high protien, low-mid carbs/starch

That in mind, does anyone have any recipies for that kind of diet? Please don't say just go to subway...that bores me and I love to cook...
Old 09-30-05, 09:46 PM
CardiacKid
SNARKY MEMBER

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Cut 4 chicken breasts into quarters. Salt and pepper. Brown them in a skillet, on medium high heat with about a tbs of olive oil, just give them some color, don't cook them thru, remove. Brown 1 onion in the same skillet . Add 2 cloves crushed garlic and a cup of white wine. Add the chicken back in and simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes. Serve with a green salad. I love Girard's fat free caesar dressing.
Old 09-30-05, 10:12 PM
sillygirl
Fly

Bikes: 1980 Trek 660 fixed-conversion, IRO Mark V, Trek 6700 MTB, Univega Converted-Beater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Learn to love lowfat cottage cheese! It is low is calories, low in fat and has tons of protein.
--There are so many things you can do with it too! I mix in jam, or fresh fruit, or fiber cereal and fresh fruit. Its also good in protein shakes, use part milk, cottage cheese, frozen berries and protein powder.

--Also hummus and veggies - a good way to get get your veggies and protein at once.

--turkey jerky as a to-go snack. (best calorie to protein, non refrigerated snack out there)

-- if you love to cook, i like the south beach diet or other "low-GI" diet recipe books because they utliize good carbs (whole wheat, veggies, beans, etc) and high protein. they both have recipe websites.

-- ok an actual recipe. get package of turket cutlets, salt and sautee with cooking spray on medium heat to cooked through, but just barely. then put to side, and throw in some sliced mushrooms and onions on low-med heat for a couple minutes. add teaspoon cornstarch, some chicken broth and some vermouth (or white wine). stir and cook for another couple of minutes, add some capers. throw the turkey back in for a minute and then oila! low fat, high protein, and yummy turkey. the biggest mistake is overcooking the turkey cutlets and undercooking the mushrooms.

Check out my new food blog!!
Old 10-01-05, 12:36 AM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
A high protein, low fat diet is just a "Politicaly correct" Atkins diet with no more thought or science to it than that.

I don't want to stop you making your own choices yet I feel compeled to post this reference so that you can have another point of view,

https://www.westonaprice.org/bookrevi...beachdiet.html

For a couple of reasons the WAPF rates the South Beach diet less desirable than a low fat, high carbohydrate diet.

Regards, Anthony
Old 10-01-05, 02:51 AM
DannoXYZ 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by AnthonyG
A high protein, low fat diet is just a "Politicaly correct" Atkins diet with no more thought or science to it than that.

I don't want to stop you making your own choices yet I feel compeled to post this reference so that you can have another point of view,

https://www.westonaprice.org/bookrevi...beachdiet.html

For a couple of reasons the WAPF rates the South Beach diet less desirable than a low fat, high carbohydrate diet.

Regards, Anthony
Uh... what happened to the Atkins company recently???
Old 10-01-05, 04:43 AM
AnthonyG

Originally Posted by DannoXYZ
Uh... what happened to the Atkins company recently???
I've got no idea.

The Atkins diet wasn't reccomended by the WAPF although to be honest there was actually a gap in view between Dr Atkins and the company he started. Dr Atkins was closer to WAPF principles than the company. The company prompted soy based foodstuffs that aren't reccomended by WAPF.

I don't count carbohydrates and I don't reccomend it for anyone else. I eat plenty of vegetables but I don't eat starches which are lacking in nutrition anyway. I eat whatever I wan't in moderation and I'm not scared of fat. I genuinely don't like starchy foods.

Anyway, the WAPF point is that a high protein food diet lacking in fat is a recipie for malnutrition and in fact if your still suffer from fat paronia then eating high carbohydrate is healthier.

Regards, Anthony
Old 10-01-05, 07:16 AM
kuan
Twincities MN

Bikes: Fat Caad Lefty, Foundry Overland.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's a great one. Tandoori chicken the easy way.

1 can Tandoori Chicken spice mix (purchase at Indian grocer)
A little salt
Yogurt (plain, nonfat if you want)
Chicken drumsticks, thighs, or breasts, on the bone.

Remove skin from chicken and put parts in a large mixing bowl. Sprinkle evenly with a little salt. Sprinkle with tandoori seasoning. Add yogurt and coat.

Allow to sit for a few minutes. Grill until done. Serve with flatbreads and simple salad. Yummy.
Old 10-01-05, 01:58 PM
DannoXYZ 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I've got no idea.

The Atkins diet wasn't reccomended by the WAPF although to be honest there was actually a gap in view between Dr Atkins and the company he started. Dr Atkins was closer to WAPF principles than the company. The company prompted soy based foodstuffs that aren't reccomended by WAPF.

I don't count carbohydrates and I don't reccomend it for anyone else. I eat plenty of vegetables but I don't eat starches which are lacking in nutrition anyway. I eat whatever I wan't in moderation and I'm not scared of fat. I genuinely don't like starchy foods.

Anyway, the WAPF point is that a high protein food diet lacking in fat is a recipie for malnutrition and in fact if your still suffer from fat paronia then eating high carbohydrate is healthier.

Regards, Anthony
Yeah, I've never been a fan of fad-diets much anyway. Personally I don't think fats and cholesterol's that bad. I don't know if it was an editing error in that book-review, but fats aren't used to build cell-walls, it's cholesterol. Fats are just the carrier that transports cholesterol in and out of the liver, like a semi-truck. And cholesterol's the building blocks for most hormones too.

I think the main problem we have from complications with fats and obesity is that people just eat way too damn much for the level of exercise they're doing... It's simple, calories-in vs. calories-out.

I've lost 60 lbs since 1-Jan from eating mainly desserts! My diet consists of 60-80% carbs depending upon the workouts I'm doing. On weekend rides, I'll burn off over 6000 calories and most of my intake's carbs. Certainly doesn't seem to hurt one bit as I'm getting closer and closer to losing the 100lbs I gained since hanging up the bike 10years ago.

Last edited by DannoXYZ; 10-02-05 at 12:24 AM.
Old 10-01-05, 02:33 PM
sillygirl
Fly

Bikes: 1980 Trek 660 fixed-conversion, IRO Mark V, Trek 6700 MTB, Univega Converted-Beater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Anthony G -

I gotta say - I really respect the WAPF, and appreciate your input. But every time someone asks for advice that is not perfectly aligned with the WAPF, you hijack the thread and use it as another soapbox oppurtunity to spread the word.

I can understand if the threads' goal is to debate different types of diets out there - but when someone is asking for advice on a particular subject and you dont agree with it, perhaps you should just let it slide. As they say, if you aren't a smoker, stay out of the smoking section.

I believe there isnt one right way of eating, one right way of training, one right way of practicing religion, or one right way of practicing politics. There are different ways that are right for different people.

If you need to be adamant that your way is right, show it through how you live your life, not by pressing your ideas on others.

sorry for the rant, but had to get it off my chest.

silly

Old 10-01-05, 04:26 PM
jrennie
Race to train

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ
I've lost 60 lbs since 1-Jan from eating mainly desserts! My diet consists of 60-80% carbs depending upon the workouts I'm doing. On weekend rides, I'll burn off over 6000 calories and most of my intake's carbs. Certainly doesn't seem to hurt one bit as I'm getting closer and closer to losing the 100lbs I gained since hanging up the bike 10years ago.
Preach on brother My diet is comprised of 70-85% carbs and I have trouble keeping weight on with my excersize level.
Old 10-01-05, 04:37 PM
CardiacKid
SNARKY MEMBER

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I don't remember the OP askinfg for anyone's opinion on the merits of his Doctor's advise. Presumably he has enough sense to listen to a doctor he knows instead of complete strangers. AnthonyG already has about 20 other threads going talking about high fat diets. Is it necessary to hijack every post that uses the word "fat". Dude get a life. Eat a vegatable and chill out.
Old 10-01-05, 04:44 PM
AnthonyG

Originally Posted by sillygirl
Hi Anthony G -

I gotta say - I really respect the WAPF, and appreciate your input. But every time someone asks for advice that is not perfectly aligned with the WAPF, you hijack the thread and use it as another soapbox oppurtunity to spread the word.

I can understand if the threads' goal is to debate different types of diets out there - but when someone is asking for advice on a particular subject and you dont agree with it, perhaps you should just let it slide. As they say, if you aren't a smoker, stay out of the smoking section.

I believe there isnt one right way of eating, one right way of training, one right way of practicing religion, or one right way of practicing politics. There are different ways that are right for different people.

If you need to be adamant that your way is right, show it through how you live your life, not by pressing your ideas on others.

sorry for the rant, but had to get it off my chest.

silly
I'm sorry if it came over that way but I felt it was important to post a reference on the subject so that an alternative view could be heard. As I said it's up to everyone to make their own opinion based on the best information.

Regards, Anthony
Old 10-01-05, 04:46 PM
AnthonyG

Originally Posted by CardiacKid
I don't remember the OP askinfg for anyone's opinion on the merits of his Doctor's advise. Presumably he has enough sense to listen to a doctor he knows instead of complete strangers. AnthonyG already has about 20 other threads going talking about high fat diets. Is it necessary to hijack every post that uses the word "fat". Dude get a life. Eat a vegatable and chill out.
Actually I DO eat vegetables!

You know the funny thing is that I eat MORE vegetables than many of the people who follow vegan/vegetarian diets. Go figure that one out.

Regards, Anthony
Old 10-01-05, 05:30 PM
sillygirl
Fly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm sorry if it came over that way but I felt it was important to post a reference on the subject so that an alternative view could be heard. As I said it's up to everyone to make their own opinion based on the best information.
I agree an alternative opinion is good, however considering that you include the link in every thread related to food, I dont consider it alternative anymore. Also, the poster wasn't asking advice on what he should be eating, he was looking to follow his doctor's advice. And when someone gives advice that wasnt requested, thats when it starts falling into the soapbox category IMHO. Perhaps we could have a seperate thread on the WAPF that you could make sure to keep going...

Old 10-01-05, 05:32 PM
CardiacKid
SNARKY MEMBER

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Actually I DO eat vegetables!

You know the funny thing is that I eat MORE vegetables than many of the people who follow vegan/vegetarian diets. Go figure that one out.

Regards, Anthony
I don't really care. Do you know any good low fat recipes? Anthony, we are going to have to start calling you D.B. Cooper.

Last edited by CardiacKid; 10-01-05 at 06:10 PM.
Old 10-01-05, 05:37 PM
AnthonyG

Originally Posted by sillygirl
I agree an alternative opinion is good, however considering that you include the link in every thread related to food, I dont consider it alternative anymore. Also, the poster wasn't asking advice on what he should be eating, he was looking to follow his doctor's advice. And when someone gives advice that wasnt requested, thats when it starts falling into the soapbox category IMHO. Perhaps we could have a seperate thread on the WAPF that you could make sure to keep going...
I understand your point but I'm going to have to disagree on a couple of points. OK this IS an extreme example but if someone asked for advise on how to commit a hate crime or murder someone should I refrain from saying anything simply because I don't have any advise on the subject.

Giving references is something I beleive in doing on scientific principles and theres not enough of it being done.

Regards, Anthony
Old 10-01-05, 05:41 PM
AnthonyG

I don't really care. Do you know any good low fat recipes? Anthony, we are going to have to start calling you B.D. Cooper.
Hey you can eat low fat recipies as much as you like. My point is that low fat, low carb, high protein diets are simply a politicaly correct creation that are less healthy than low fat, high carbohydrate diets.

My aim is to inform. After that it's up to you.

Regards, Anthony
Old 10-01-05, 05:48 PM
CardiacKid
SNARKY MEMBER

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I understand the Americans and Australians are separated by a common language, but, Anthony I really don't know what you didn't understand about my last post.
If your point is to inform start a new thread, if your point is to annoy, continue to hijack this thread.
Old 10-01-05, 06:24 PM
AnthonyG

I understand the Americans and Australians are separated by a common language, but, Anthony I really don't know what you didn't understand about my last post.
If your point is to inform start a new thread, if your point is to annoy, continue to hijack this thread.
I put forward my message at the beginning. If you wanted to ignore it so be it. No one had to respond.

What's going on now is an example of group dynamics or peer preasure. By taking me on you are hoping that I will desist from posting anything that doesn't fit the current politically acceptable view.

Verbal bullying basically!

Look I've always stood up to bullying so it's not an aproach that's going to get you anywhere with me.

Regards, Anthony
Old 10-01-05, 07:22 PM
CardiacKid
SNARKY MEMBER

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Anthony, you have answered my question. Its a shame you didn't realize you were answering it.
Old 10-01-05, 08:24 PM
AnthonyG

Anthony, you have answered my question. Its a shame you didn't realize you were answering it.

AHH don't "KID" yourself CardiacKid. LOL, I cracked a funny!

I can understand a bullying post when I read one.

Regards, Anthony
Old 10-01-05, 09:52 PM
Elvish Legion
JOCP Senior Advisor

Bikes: 1979 Shcwinn Varsity, 2005 Speciazlied Transition Multi-Sport, 2005 Specailized Sirrus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Edit: Wow that came off bad.

I'm not out to debate whats the best diet.

Honsetly I think the low carb thing isn't going to work for me, I'm used to eating a very big carb meal before riding, so thats out.

Basicly I want some recipies that are low in fat/cals.
Old 10-03-05, 08:23 AM
barleyrocket
???What???

Bikes: Cervelo R2.5 - Cervelo P2k - Bianchi Vigorelli - Cannondale 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your really alinging your use of WAPF bandwagon with commiting a Hate crime on whether you should be involved or not. Get real.

I understand your point but I'm going to have to disagree on a couple of points. OK this IS an extreme example but if someone asked for advise on how to commit a hate crime or murder someone should I refrain from saying anything simply because I don't have any advise on the subject.

Giving references is something I beleive in doing on scientific principles and theres not enough of it being done.

Regards, Anthony
Old 11-06-05, 11:53 AM
patrick07

Bikes: 2005 Specialized Langster, 2005 Giant TCR C3, 2006 Bianchi Castro Valley, 2007 Redline Monocog 29er, 2007 Trek 5000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvish Legion
Well wanting to drop some weight my doctor/personal trainner (he does a bit of both) recommened a Low fat, high protien, low-mid carbs/starch

That in mind, does anyone have any recipies for that kind of diet? Please don't say just go to subway...that bores me and I love to cook...

This is kind of boring but good.

4 thawed boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Place in baking dish.
Slice one green pepper into long strips and bunch of fresh mushrooms. Most supermarkets have pre-sliced mushrooms in the produce isle. Maybe red onions if you are so inclined. Spread evenly on top of chicken.
Use one can (or two if you love tomatoes ) of Del Monte Diced Tomatoes with Basil, Garlic, and Oregano. Pour over everything. Bake at 350F for 45 minutes (covered or uncovered, your choice) or until chicken is cooked through.

Prepare 1/2 to 1 lb of pasta of your choice. I prefer noodles with high surface area (bow ties or riggatoni). Serve chicken and veggies over bed of pasta. Serves four.

Last edited by patrick07; 11-06-05 at 01:06 PM.
Old 11-06-05, 12:25 PM
Christoff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get a George Foreman grill. I LOVE mine. You can cook/make so many things as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.