Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

For Genaro: Where Are You Riding this Weekend?

Notices
Southern California Southern California

Old 09-19-15, 09:01 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 153 Posts

Where & how far?
GF and I are taking the train up to Anaheim stadium in less than an hour, going to ride SART and PCH back home to Carlsbad. It was 88 miles the last time I did it. I'll be wearing the usual La Vie Claire colors with Krusty-the-Clown shoes, and riding my beloved steel battletank Schwinn Peloton. Say HI if you see us.

Be fun, have safe!
Old 09-19-15, 10:02 PM
thenomad
Riding like its 1990

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
hey, i said HI! I was driving down the coast in carlsbad with my wife (15yr anniversary) nd saw two riders up ahead. la vie claire jersey? i know a guy that has one... got closer... white bike? no way! schwinn? yes way! i honked and waved from the car but sure you had no idea. Lookin good both of you!
Old 09-20-15, 12:52 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Ha! I heard you and looked around, but didn't see you.
Maybe it was the time of day, or maybe I'm a patriot-partisan of my hometown, but that was just about the time I said to Terah our stretch of coast was the prettiest. 79.3 miles, but with lots of stops, and a great brunch in Laguna.
We're so lucky to live here and ride on the coast. I was exhausted when we got home, but can't sleep now.
Have a great weekend!
Old 09-20-15, 09:30 AM
thenomad
Riding like its 1990

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
yeah, no riding for me lately but life has many stages. enjoy!

Last edited by thenomad; 09-20-15 at 02:30 PM.
Old 09-20-15, 11:36 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Sorry we missed you. And thanks for the kind lie, but I know we looked like hell by the time we got to C'bad. It was about 5 degrees warmer than forecasted, (93 degrees along the coast?!?!) and I'm still recovering from the intestinal virus I got in NorCal--at least it's a decent weight-loss program.

If you're still in town and looking for a great brewery, I heartily recommend Bagby in Oceanside. Their Kolsch is our new favorite in San Diego County.

The bicycle will always be there when life swings back that way. Happy Anniversary (and congratulations!) Have fun and safe travels.
Old 09-20-15, 07:23 PM
ZippyThePinhead
Slacker

Bikes: 1986 Peugeot Orient Express, 1987 Trek 560 Pro, 1983 SR Semi Pro, 2010 Motobecane Le Champion Titanium, 2011 Trek Fuel EX8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but I did Back Bay & Shady Canyon on Friday, before it warmed up, and before the OP posted this thread. Then I went and drank some beer.
Old 09-20-15, 07:25 PM
JimmyNH
Dilligaf

Bikes: Orbea

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by calamarichris
Where & how far?
GF and I are taking the train up to Anaheim stadium in less than an hour, going to ride SART and PCH back home to Carlsbad. It was 88 miles the last time I did it. I'll be wearing the usual La Vie Claire colors with Krusty-the-Clown shoes, and riding my beloved steel battletank Schwinn Peloton. Say HI if you see us.
Be fun, have safe!
Hmmm, that's enough of an advance notice to organize a ride.
Buzz me next time you decide to do this ride (and make it at least a day notice ). I've got a route suggestion that you might like. It also involves drinking beer. Speaking of beer - we must get to that Bagby some day. Maybe do the double ascent of Palomar as an excuse.
Old 09-21-15, 02:29 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
time for another so cal forum ride. just sayin. bagby would be a worthy desto/turn around point.
Old 09-21-15, 04:53 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Sorry Comrade. We aren't in any kind of shape for a group ride right now. Terah is getting over her broken arm/dislocated shoulder after a Subaru pulled into Del Dios Hwy's bike lane and nailed her brakes, and I'm finally freed after my aging puppydog finally passed a few weeks ago. Weren't looking for a group ride, just hoping to run into riders out there. We were seriously dragging.

Yes please to the group ride, and to Bagby. Their Kolsch is our favorite beer in SD County. It should hopefully start cooling off a little. When's good for everyone?
Old 09-21-15, 05:11 PM
Genaro

Bikes: Motobecane Immortal Force

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Sorry Comrade. We aren't in any kind of shape for a group ride right now. Terah is getting over her broken arm/dislocated shoulder after a Subaru pulled into Del Dios Hwy's bike lane and nailed her brakes, and I'm finally freed after my aging puppydog finally passed a few weeks ago. Weren't looking for a group ride, just hoping to run into riders out there. We were seriously dragging.

Yes please to the group ride, and to Bagby. Their Kolsch is our favorite beer in SD County. It should hopefully start cooling off a little. When's good for everyone?
sniff sniff, I smell hops...... did someone say beer ? You finally got my attention.
Old 09-21-15, 06:36 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Originally Posted by Genaro
sniff sniff, I smell hops...... did someone say beer ? You finally got my attention.
When's best for you, Leatherneck-Jarhead-G-Money? We don't need a group ride. Come down and your beer's on me. Bagby's my favorite, but we've got DOZENS of great breweries here in North SD County now.
Old 09-21-15, 11:41 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Any with a better name than Belching Beaver?
Old 09-22-15, 02:57 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
^that name slays me and not in a good way. i could suck it up and hit their tasting room on 30th & howard if i had to tho.
Old 09-23-15, 10:08 PM
JimmyNH
Dilligaf

Bikes: Orbea

Quoted: 51 Post(s)

Did I ever say "group ride"?! Sorry to hear about all the troubles. Hope she is healing up nicely. To make it clear - I didn't mean a group ride. I merely thought that you can ride from Carlsbad towards San Clemente, I meet you somewhere around Trestles, then we ride together to my place, have some beer (and lunch, if you're so inclined) with your GF and my OL, then I drive you back to Carlsbad. Think about it.
As for a Bikeforums ride - I'd love to do that, but I don't think these guys ride anymore. In general, I reckon this forum is dead and even the pope won't be able to resuscitate it. All you see here is that someone got killed on the bike or how dangerous it is to ride a bike.
Old 09-24-15, 08:01 AM
Genaro

Originally Posted by JimmyNH
I reckon this forum is dead and even the pope won't be able to resuscitate it.
How do you know that ?

And I still ride, but due to my schedule, I'm usually up at 3 AM in my garage attached to my trainer on zwift.com Its a really neat virtual world with people from all over the world.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
hqdefault.jpg (17.6 KB, 13 views)
Old 09-24-15, 08:45 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Genaro
And I still ride, but due to my schedule, I'm usually up at 3 AM in my garage attached to my trainer on zwift.com Its a really neat virtual world with people from all over the world.

And you're still staring at some guy's virtual lycra covered ass!

Isn't there a setting you can tweak or something?
Old 09-24-15, 10:41 AM
Genaro

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
And you're still staring at some guy's virtual lycra covered ass!

Isn't there a setting you can tweak or something?
That's the best part..

LOL, there's actually different settings, just like in race car video games. You can change to just view what's ahead, your back wheel, behind you, or even areal shots with the sounds of a helicopter.
Old 09-25-15, 10:44 AM
Lesper4

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale CAAD9 5, 1995 Cannondale CAD F300 hardtail

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think he was referring to a different type of but! I would use zwift on rainy days other wise I want to be out on the road, in the real mountains. I am sure there are some free times you can sneak in? Pretty sure I will be riding next Tuesday and Wednesday. You live not two seconds from a great climb I would ride some form of that every morning or evening. (but that is just me).