Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Can't find the leak

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Can't find the leak

Old 07-03-20, 12:01 PM
merlinrkd

Bikes: BMZ Performance Touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Can't find the leak

Feeling dumb about this. Been fixing flats tires for 50+ years but this one isn't getting resolved. Recent 90's Conley MTB. Very clean. Deore components. Came with very recent Kenda tubes and Komfort tires. Am losing 2psi a day out of the rear. Pumped the wheel to 65 psi and submerged it in 6" of water in my laundry utility sink. Don't see any bubbles. Watched it for quite a while. Pulled the tube and pumped it up to about twice the tire size. Not a bubble. I'd like to pump the tube up more. Is there a general rule on how big an unconfined tube can be safely expanded?
Old 07-03-20, 12:09 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Right up until it bursts. I wouldn't worry about 2 psi a day. Although that is a little higher than what I'd consider normal. You check your tires before every ride don't you? I normally expect to put a stroke or two of floor pump in my tires every other day.
Old 07-03-20, 12:25 PM
hrdknox1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 40 Posts
Could be leaking from the valve core if you didn't submerge that.
Likes For hrdknox1:
Old 07-03-20, 02:25 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,916 Posts
I'm with @Iride01; 2psi/day is not enough to get worked up about. If it really bothers you, pull the valve core and pour in some sealant.
Old 07-03-20, 03:09 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
2 psi per day is negligible especially if there is a lot of temperature fluctuation in the storage area
Old 07-03-20, 03:21 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Right up until it bursts.
Then back off a couple pumps.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 07-03-20, 03:27 PM
merlinrkd

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
The stem was completely under water in the sink. Neve saw a bubble. That was fully inflated inside the tire.
Old 07-03-20, 03:35 PM
merlinrkd

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
This is my grab and run a quick errand bike of the 4 I have. Used sporadically. My 2 road bikes have latex tubes so pumping is a daily deal. The Conley front wheel can go for a couple months. I'm just mystified with my leak detection methods and that 2 psi/day doesn't show a bubble.
Old 07-03-20, 04:21 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinrkd
The stem was completely under water in the sink. Neve saw a bubble. That was fully inflated inside the tire.
At 2 psi loss per day the bubble will form very slowly, teeny tiny and pretty much invisible. The bubble will stick to the tube and when it gets large enough it will break away and go upwards.

You can put your hands in and get a death grip on the entire tube, wait for the water to settle and squeeze and you might get an idea of where the leak is. But do you really want to chase this?
Old 07-03-20, 04:32 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 741 Posts
Also try removing the tube pump it up to big sausage size and stretch a section at a time under water. This makes the hole a little bigger. Also check the base of the stem by wiggling it around under water. Sometimes tears at the base only show up when the stem is moved.
Old 07-05-20, 07:06 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
New tubes are $5
Old 07-05-20, 07:10 AM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
New tubes are $5
No they're $3.
Old 07-05-20, 09:23 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Mount the tire and inflate the tire to at least 50% Above the max pressure on the side wall and submerge the tire. I have used this method and found a thin wire that acted as a plug and deflated the tube when I removed it.
Old 07-05-20, 09:55 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinrkd
Feeling dumb about this. Been fixing flats tires for 50+ years but this one isn't getting resolved. Recent 90's Conley MTB. Very clean. Deore components. Came with very recent Kenda tubes and Komfort tires. Am losing 2psi a day out of the rear. Pumped the wheel to 65 psi and submerged it in 6" of water in my laundry utility sink. Don't see any bubbles. Watched it for quite a while. Pulled the tube and pumped it up to about twice the tire size. Not a bubble. I'd like to pump the tube up more. Is there a general rule on how big an unconfined tube can be safely expanded?
2 psi per day is about the average for the diffusion rate of air out of a bicycle tube. You won’t see bubbles because the air is coming out at the molecular level through the bulk rubber. The diffusion isn’t linear so you lose more at higher pressure than at lower pressure. But, generally, I expect to have to pump up bicycle tires on a daily basis.

Bottom line: If the tire goes flat overnight, that’s a puncture. If it only drops a little (<10 psi) overnight, that’s just diffusion and you shouldn’t worry about it.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 07-05-20, 12:16 PM
mrrabbit 

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
2 psi per day is about the average for the diffusion rate of air out of a bicycle tube. You won’t see bubbles because the air is coming out at the molecular level through the bulk rubber. The diffusion isn’t linear so you lose more at higher pressure than at lower pressure. But, generally, I expect to have to pump up bicycle tires on a daily basis.

Bottom line: If the tire goes flat overnight, that’s a puncture. If it only drops a little (<10 psi) overnight, that’s just diffusion and you shouldn’t worry about it.
You should change your sig:

"Your Daily Dose - Common Sense Rx"

=8-)

Disclaimer:

1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
5. My all time favorite book is:

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life
Likes For mrrabbit:
Old 07-05-20, 05:37 PM
dscheidt

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute

I wouldn't accept a tube that leaks 2 psi overnight on a mountain bike. On a road bike, with skinny tires at 100 psi, I'd exepect that. I run michelin airstop tubes, mostly, my bike with 700X50 tires loses about 2 psi a week (40 psi front, 50 rear). That's checked inside, so temperature isn't an issue. I would expect to be able to find a 2psi overnight leak with leak detection fluid, but maybe not in a sink.
Old 07-05-20, 08:53 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by dscheidt
I wouldn't accept a tube that leaks 2 psi overnight on a mountain bike. On a road bike, with skinny tires at 100 psi, I'd exepect that. I run michelin airstop tubes, mostly, my bike with 700X50 tires loses about 2 psi a week (40 psi front, 50 rear). That's checked inside, so temperature isn't an issue. I would expect to be able to find a 2psi overnight leak with leak detection fluid, but maybe not in a sink.
That’s why I said that diffusion isn’t linear. A mountain bike tire at 40 psi is going to diffuse at a lower rate than the same tire at 60 psi. And the 60 psi wide tire is going to diffuse at a slower rate than narrow road bike tire at 100 psi.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 07-05-20, 09:35 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 358 Posts
2 psi is within the margin of error of most gauges. Why are you even worried about this? I'm happy with a 5psi range.
Old 07-05-20, 11:30 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 303 Posts
Check the valve where the stem meets the tube. Wiggle it around and check for separation.