Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Are you that vain?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Are you that vain?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-20, 01:06 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I'm well known in the randonneuring world as one of the best-dressed randonneurs. Admittedly the bar is pretty low.
Likes For kingston:
Old 08-21-20, 01:08 PM
Dancing Skeleton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
OTOH, I couldn't care less what someone else thinks looks good on their own bike, whether it's brand, color, Sram, Campy, Shimano, etc.
All of that is too subjective. If the owner likes it, then he/she likes it, and that's all that counts.
Likes For Dancing Skeleton:
Old 08-21-20, 01:30 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I go for stuff that performs well and looks good. I'm always the best dressed hiker on the trail, and one of the most comfortable. To answer the question here I'd choose Ultegra Di2. My dream bike isn't in a color I love and a functionally inferior drivetrain. And who hates blue?
Old 08-21-20, 01:45 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,897 Times in 6,094 Posts
I had a choice between a red bike with Ultegra and a blue bike with 105. I went for the blue bike with 105. I like blue.

But the reason I went with it wasn't the color. It was $700 cheaper, and by all accounts works nearly as well.

I also like red.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-21-20, 01:53 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Noctilux.95
Reliability, crappy shifting, and world class garbage braking give me enough reason to stay away from an inferior product.
Maybe you didn't have it setup correctly. My Rival 10 speed, Rival CX1 11, Red 22 and Red eTap all shift perfectly.

I had Rival rim, Rival hydro and my bike with Red had Trek's Speedstop brakes. All work withing my needs.

Again... i'm glad you're happy with what you have.
Old 08-21-20, 02:10 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
Maybe you didn't have it setup correctly. My Rival 10 speed, Rival CX1 11, Red 22 and Red eTap all shift perfectly.

I had Rival rim, Rival hydro and my bike with Red had Trek's Speedstop brakes. All work withing my needs.

Again... i'm glad you're happy with what you have.
Maybe he has higher standards than you.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 08-21-20, 02:11 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,295 Times in 2,946 Posts
How in the world does choosing a preferred color constitute vanity?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 08-21-20, 02:14 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by noodle soup
Maybe he has higher standards than you.
Could be, i'm not a world class cyclist and I don't climb and descend mountains like the Alps. Hell... i still have rim brakes.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 08-21-20, 02:16 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
How in the world does choosing a preferred color constitute vanity?
If you chose color over groupset.

If you pass on a bike that has everything you want except color for a bike that has the color but not the groupset you want. A bit extreme but I was using it as an example and not the only example.
Old 08-21-20, 02:22 PM
tomato coupe

If you pass on a bike that has everything you want except color for a bike that has the color but not the groupset you want. A bit extreme but I was using it as an example and not the only example.
You have a unique definition of vanity. Frame color and group sets are both just personal preferences.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 08-21-20, 02:22 PM
Noctilux.95

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4 Celeste, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Giant TCR SL, Giant Revolt Advanced Revolt 0 Gravel Bike, Trek Madone SLR, Cervelo R5 Disk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 65 Posts

Thats why purchase the frame in the color of your preference and build it with the groupset, cockpit, saddle, wheels, tires, and bar tape of your your choice. And LOL at paying $12K for a bike with SRAM when 9200 series is around the corner.
Old 08-21-20, 02:31 PM
noodle soup

Could be, i'm not a world class cyclist and I don't climb and descend mountains like the Alps. Hell... i still have rim brakes.
Cycling on Long Island, and riding in mostly good weather, there's probably no need for discs.

When I purchased my Domane 6.9 disc, I saved about $4k by getting a shop demo. Otherwise I'd still be using rim brakes.
Old 08-21-20, 02:35 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I haven't purchased a prebuilt bike since 1991. I buy the frame in the color I want, then put every component I want on it. I like red or a black/red combination. The problem these days is many brands only sell some frames in one awful color, so I'm not buying it.

If I found a complete bike in the color I wanted with 11 speed of any sort, I might buy it and sell off all of the parts, so I could put the 12 speed parts of my choice on it, along with bars, saddle, wheels and tires of my choice. The problem is even an ultegra Di2 build kit, brand new, isn't worth all that much and the frame only may still be over priced.
Old 08-21-20, 02:46 PM
sarhog

Bikes: GR300, Grail, Live Wire, 5010

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I had a choice between a red bike with Ultegra and a blue bike with 105. I went for the blue bike with 105. I like blue.

But the reason I went with it wasn't the color. It was $700 cheaper, and by all accounts works nearly as well.
Man, that blue Canyon is gorgeous!!!!
Likes For sarhog:
Old 08-21-20, 02:51 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
= I'm always the best dressed hiker on the trail, and one of the most comfortable.
We've clearly never been on the same trail at the same time ...
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 08-21-20, 02:52 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by DaveSSS

If I found a complete bike in the color I wanted with 11 speed of any sort, I might buy it and sell off all of the parts, so I could put the 12 speed parts of my choice on it, along with bars, saddle, wheels and tires of my choice. The problem is even an ultegra Di2 build kit, brand new, isn't worth all that much and the frame only may still be over priced.
Some of the high end complete bikes are insanely priced. Sometimes you can actually build them up from a frameset, for less than the MSRP of the complete bike.
Old 08-21-20, 02:54 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
When I spend my money I get exactly what I want or I don't buy. Doesn't have anything to do with vanity. It's about not paying money to compromise. Craigslist is full of that.
Likes For nomadmax:
Old 08-21-20, 02:55 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
In your example I would go with #3 Ultegra because it is the color you wanted and available with a medium cage RD so I could run a larger cassette to make it a little easier to drag my fat, old ass up the hills

But in general, it depends. I purchased a 2019 Ultegra bike that came in flat gun metal silver/black. While I didn't dislike the color it also didn't really do anything for me but it was on the floor and available. I liked that bike fine though.

A year later I decided I wanted to upgrade to electronic shifting and ordered a Di2 bike over SRAM simply from user reviews and familiarity. I have run Shimano on many bikes and been happy with it plus most people who have it seem to love Di2. Although I have nothing against SRAM. But without being able to test ride them back-to-back I wasn't going to make the switch. As for color, I originally ordered the std. gloss black/silver which I though looked very nice and would have been happy with. But then I figured if I was spending that much money on a bike I might as well spend a little more and get the Project One color scheme I absolutely loved and have been very happy with that decision. For me, if you're spending a bunch on money on a bike it probably ought to be something you love. Lower end bikes not so much. You usually only have choice between one or two colors and may end up with one that is the least objectionable although there are some I just couldn't own. I don't know if it is vanity but there some colors/combinations I just don't like.
Old 08-21-20, 03:31 PM
DaveSSS 

As an example, I can get a nice Colnago 2020 CLX disc with ultegra for about $2600, but the build kit might only be worth $800, leaving the frame at $1800, which isn't cheap. I got my C-RS rim brake frames for half of the original $1700 msrp.
Old 08-21-20, 05:02 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
As times goes on I have come to realize I am at best a Tiagra level recreational cyclist and do Not deserve better in my cycling life.

Black Bibs with any jersey with blue in it will do.
Old 08-21-20, 05:09 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by DaveSSS
As an example, I can get a nice Colnago 2020 CLX disc with ultegra for about $2600, but the build kit might only be worth $800, leaving the frame at $1800, which isn't cheap. I got my C-RS rim brake frames for half of the original $1700 msrp.
groupset or complete build(minus the frameset)?
Old 08-21-20, 06:46 PM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
I go with option #4 and I get the color I want, with the groupset I want. Which is exactly what I'm doing, ordered a bike with the color I want, and having the shop change the groupset when they build it.

If those three options were really the only choices (in which case I would probably walk away), I'd go for the color, because it's easier to change the groupset than it is the color. Most any quality bike will function about the same, regardless of geometry, groupset, or anything else. So really it only comes down to the details like color, frame shape/design (I loved dropped seatstays, some people hate them), and yes, even the aesthetics of the groupset.

I don't understand why people are so afraid to admit that aesthetics matter, it's why we dress the way we do, cut our hair the way we do, because on some level, we care about these things (I've worked with people who truly did not care about these things, because they were geniuses and just didn't devote any thought or time to it, some of the smartest and oddest people I've ever known). It might not be at the top of the list, but on some level, it matters, and it's ok to admit that.
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 08-21-20, 06:55 PM
DaveSSS 

Originally Posted by noodle soup
groupset or complete build(minus the frameset)?
complete build kit. The wheels are cheap fulcrum.
Old 08-21-20, 06:56 PM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
Depends. I am a big SRAM fan though.
Old 08-21-20, 06:57 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I keep my GURU Sidero (steel) w/ SRAM Red 10 spd. and Mavic USTS.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.